DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 524
4 members and 520 guests
davidcycle, RideUniverse, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
would you believe this if trying to sell your bike?
Unread
  (#1)
i suck at the introweb

would you believe this if trying to sell your bike? - October 9, 2009, 10:48 AM

ok so i have been trying to sell my bike, but with all the scams i have heard i am very skeptical when i get offers especially when the person hasn't seen the bike yet, but this one is on border line of believable. what do you think?

here are the emails that he sent me, and he has also called me and left the same messages on my voice mail:

email #1:
Very interested. Willing to drive from Woodbridge, VA tonight to look at it. I'm flying to Tampa tomorrow until Tuesday but can come Wednesday if tonight is not good.

email #2:
I want this bike

I've already contacted my bank to get a check sent to you.

I need your first & last name and the VIN number.

This is NO BS. I'll drive out from Woodbridge and give you a deposit to hold the bike.

I'm flying to Tampa tomorrow returning Wednesday.

I'm Army.

Please call me back tonight any time ***-****-*****

email #3:
I'm flying to tampa tomorrow but want this bike \
give me your firsta and last name
VIN number
the rest i think i have

USAA will send you a check;

'I'll be back wednesday

can we get together then?

I'm totally serious

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Street Bonk Bum.....

October 9, 2009, 10:49 AM

just say CASH only or Cashiers check and we will go to the bank together to cash it before i sign the title

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#3)
Traction Control

October 9, 2009, 11:02 AM

do cash only man. a check can be cashed and show up in ur bank account, and later determined to be a fraud. then you'd be bikeless and moneyless. tell the dude cash only

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#4)
TPG og

October 9, 2009, 11:05 AM

Uh...3 emails with same message or 3 emails from same weirdo dude? Remember, in God we Trust. All others its cash only.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#5)
i suck at the introweb

October 9, 2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00STZX3 View Post
Uh...3 emails with same message or 3 emails from same weirdo dude? Remember, in God we Trust. All others its cash only.
3 emails from same dude with same dude calling me. number on phone matches number in email. emails are pretty much the same as voice mail he left me.

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

Unread
  (#6)
The last urrbendah

October 9, 2009, 11:10 AM

What am I missing here? He probably contacted USAA about financing and asked how it works (which that is how it works). He gives you a deposit, gets a check sent to you from USAA for the difference. You call them to see if it's real and then deposit it.

Tampa = Army Central Command HQ so he's probably stationed at the Pentagon and does crap in Tampa.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#7)
i suck at the introweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
do cash only man. a check can be cashed and show up in ur bank account, and later determined to be a fraud. then you'd be bikeless and moneyless. tell the dude cash only
true that, but he is taking out a loan which the bank will not give him cash, and states the bank is usaa, which there are no branches near by. otherwise i would say lets go to the bank together, bank rights me check i sign title over to bank, and then cash same check at their teller window.

Unread
  (#8)
TPG og

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post

Thats what the Nigerian 419 scam is...legit looking check, bank doesnt process it and find out its fake until days after the scammers dipsetted with your realy money or bike.

+1 JW, cash or cashier check, although even those can be faked. get that jank verified at the bank before you give GI Joe anything.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#9)
#swag

Sounds legit to me. I know NFCU needs that information when obtaining a loan from them.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#10)
i suck at the introweb

October 9, 2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
What am I missing here? He probably contacted USAA about financing and asked how it works (which that is how it works). He gives you a deposit, gets a check sent to you from USAA for the difference. You call them to see if it's real and then deposit it.

Tampa = Army Central Command HQ so he's probably stationed at the Pentagon and does crap in Tampa.
thats why i feel this is a believable story, but military stories are the number one used in scams, which makes me skeptical

Unread
  (#11)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

October 9, 2009, 11:14 AM

tell him that he's not getting SHIT from you until 3 days after the check clears

also you may want to put it more kindly since he can probably break your neck one-handed...just saying...

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#12)
Groundhogs can play dead

October 9, 2009, 11:14 AM

I'm pretty sure I've bought a vehicle through PenFed and did NOT need the name of the person I was writing the check to.
What you could do is call USAA and ask them?
I always hesitate in giving out my VIN but that's probably completely unfounded.

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
Give me the Ban Button!

October 9, 2009, 11:18 AM

I sold a bike to a guy that paid with a usaa check. I had him send me a photo copy of the check with my name on it to me email. I than called USAA and asked them to run the check number and verify that the check was a good check. When the guy showed up i checked the real check against the email copy he sent me. I than went to my bank (BofA) and deposited the check and asked the manager to call the person I talked to at USAA and have the funds release immediately. I had no problems at all. I prefer to deal with cash but in this day and age the peron buying the bike is just as apprehensive as you are. He will need you name and vin for the check. When you call USAA they will ask for your name to look up the check. Sometime you have to trust people and it isnt easy. Just cover all your bases. It could take up to 10-15 days for the check to clear unless you beg your bank to call and verify funds.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#14)
Owner & Creator

October 9, 2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWZelibor View Post
just say CASH only or Cashiers check and we will go to the bank together to cash it before i sign the title
You must be rich.

Sounds legit to me. I don't carry 9g's of cash on me. I bank with NFCU, and on the check I need to write the VIN #.

Send him my way I'll sell him a bike for cheaper.
Unread
  (#15)
i suck at the introweb

October 9, 2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbs View Post
I sold a bike to a guy that paid with a usaa check. I had him send me a photo copy of the check with my name on it to me email. I than called USAA and asked them to run the check number and verify that the check was a good check. When the guy showed up i checked the real check against the email copy he sent me. I than went to my bank (BofA) and deposited the check and asked the manager to call the person I talked to at USAA and have the funds release immediately. I had no problems at all. I prefer to deal with cash but in this day and age the peron buying the bike is just as apprehensive as you are. He will need you name and vin for the check. When you call USAA they will ask for your name to look up the check. Sometime you have to trust people and it isnt easy. Just cover all your bases. It could take up to 10-15 days for the check to clear unless you beg your bank to call and verify funds.
bingo, i sold my truck to someone who took a loan out for it. although i was able to go to his bank signed title over at the bank, bank gave me check, and i cashed it right there at the teller. but in this case its with usaa so there are no branches. or is there?