DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 451
3 members and 448 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
WTF is this all about?! Cultural?
Unread
  (#1)
Nothing here

WTF is this all about?! Cultural? - August 7, 2009, 07:43 AM

I have never in my life seen or heard of anything like this before so I'm curious if this has happened to anyone else. I went to Tyson's mall yesterday during lunch to kill time and maybe get a new pair of dress shoes for work. I find a pair I like and the girl goes to the back to try to find my size.

As I'm standing there in my socks looking around at other shoes on display, this tiny and old Asian lady comes up to me and says something about me and my shoes in very broken english and with a lot of anger in her voice. I was sort of stunned and confused so I asked "What did you say?" That's when it really got weird. She started kicking my sock feet! Her son started telling her to stop and then they got into it and she started kicking my feet again.

He got her to stop and as they were leaving he apologized and said that it was a cultural thing. Seriously?! WTF is that? Anyone else ever have a small Asian lady kick their sock feet before? I'm sad.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Street Bonk Bum.....

August 7, 2009, 07:46 AM

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#3)
Traction Control

August 7, 2009, 07:52 AM

Damnit man, don't you know you can't wear socks only at the mall when it's cloudy on a Thursday?!

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#4)
Knee Draggin!

August 7, 2009, 07:56 AM

If I had to guess, its cuz they expect the socks to be clean as they tend to take shoes off in the house. It may just be coincidence she's asian and she's just plain batty, however.
Unread
  (#5)
TPG Bannings: III

August 7, 2009, 07:57 AM

haha i hate people.

but srsly, I will talk to SMB(on the board), maybe he knows, I think there is some asian in him.
Unread
  (#6)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

August 7, 2009, 07:57 AM

I could see this happening in Taiwan easy. They are very picky about shoe's and feet. Maybe she thought you had athletes foot?

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#7)
Derpentine Dealer

August 7, 2009, 08:16 AM

The Japanese are pathological about making contact between their unshod feet and a surface that is usually shoe-trodden. When I was there many years ago, we had a kid who belonged to my buddy's host family who kept escaping from the house to go with us when we were going out. We carried him back to the house, and there was a sort of playful struggle at the "genkan" (entryway where shoes are removed before stepping up into the home). This kid looked like a spider monkey as he hung from various objects to avoid touching the shoe area of the genkan with his bare feet. I'm willing to bet that your "Obaba" (old woman, not a hugely respectful term) is Japanese. I'm also willing to bet that she is senile because that's unusual behavior for a Japanese. They may gasp and carry on about it amongst themselves, but Japanese in their right minds would never actually confront much less attack someone for it.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.

Last edited by OrangeShirtDude; August 7, 2009 at 08:18 AM..
Unread
  (#8)
AMA Superbike Champ

August 7, 2009, 08:35 AM

I am Asian, and let me be the first to say this is totally not a cultural thing. It's an alzheimers or schizo thing. It's just easy to say "it's cultural" to a non-asian, when explaining some sort of odd behavior. There's a lot of mystery in our culture. I'm still trying to figure out why a gong clashes loudly when I enter a room. Or why every dispute, at work or at church, can only be resolved by an all-out kungfu battle. And regardless of how many driving classes I take, I can't shake the habit of driving 45 in the left lane on 66. To all of this I can only say, it must be cultural.

'08 CBR 600RR
'04 CBR 600RR track
www.MohawkRyderz.com
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MatDady1  
Unread
  (#9)
Street Bonk Bum.....

August 7, 2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatDady1 View Post
I am Asian, and let me be the first to say this is totally not a cultural thing. It's an alzheimers or schizo thing. It's just easy to say "it's cultural" to a non-asian, when explaining some sort of odd behavior. There's a lot of mystery in our culture. I'm still trying to figure out why a gong clashes loudly when I enter a room. Or why every dispute, at work or at church, can only be resolved by an all-out kungfu battle. And regardless of how many driving classes I take, I can't shake the habit of driving 45 in the left lane on 66. To all of this I can only say, it must be cultural.

for the love of god at least turn ur frikin turn signal off....not 10 miles down the street

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#10)
Nothing here

August 7, 2009, 08:40 AM

OSD sounds credible. I hope she was just a bat shit Japanese lady and not upset with the color of my socks or something, which btw were very clean. Fresh new pair. This whole ordeal really damaged me mentally. I couldn't function at work the rest of the day. My chi got all outa wack!
Unread
  (#11)
Nothing here

August 7, 2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatDady1 View Post

Unread
  (#12)
Knee Draggin!

August 7, 2009, 08:47 AM

Maybe your feet were on fire and she was putting it out for you.
Unread
  (#13)
noise

August 7, 2009, 08:58 AM

weird, maybe she didn't like your socks or maybe to her it was some sort of no-no in public?

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."
Unread
  (#14)
Full spin ahead.

August 7, 2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
They may gasp and carry on about it amongst themselves, but Japanese in their right minds would never actually confront much less attack someone for it.
This is exactly what I was thinking from the beginning of your post. Kicking some foreigner's feet would probably not even happen in Japan, much less here, in a store that doesn't belong to her.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to scarab  
Unread
  (#15)
Nothing here

August 7, 2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking from the beginning of your post. Kicking some foreigner's feet would probably not even happen in Japan, much less here, in a store that doesn't belong to her.
So then this lady was just crazy and her son was just making the best and quickest excuse for it? I can buy that.