DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 569
2 members and 567 guests
beatle, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
The Wussiest Bans in America, Including the American Flag!
Unread
  (#1)
i suck at the introweb

The Wussiest Bans in America, Including the American Flag! - November 23, 2015, 09:15 PM

The Wussiest Bans in America
Liberal 'safe space' obsession reaches new levels of insanity

In a blind rush to defend the offended (which today happens to be just about everyone), colleges are expanding the liberal notions of “safe space” by catering to activists wielding various claims of “privilege” and banning all manner of the mundane on campuses.

The battle for aggressive coddling has hit high gear these past few weeks. University of Missouri students held protests that led to the resignation of their president and another high-level administrator over unspecified claims of racism and “white privilege.”
The Mizzou controversy was fueled by a student group called “Concerned Student 1950,” which pays tribute to first-year black students admitted to the university. The group started the trending hashtag #blackoncampus to motivate other students around the country to battle what they perceive as “white privilege.”

College Master Erika Christakis of Yale University then became the target of the Left when she sent an email to students suggesting they wear whatever Halloween costumes they wanted, without fear of offending, asking, “Is there no room anymore for a child or young person to be a little bit obnoxious … a little bit inappropriate or provocative or, yes, offensive?”
Students responded to her email with engaged protests over the violation of their “safe space.”

Buckling under the fear of outcry, campuses are increasingly shielding students from anything the Left deems offensive, including most of the real world. Here are some of the most absurd things banned so far on college campuses.

1. American Flag is Banned
The undergraduate governing body of the University of California, Irvine, held a vote to remove all flags from an inclusive space on campus because a majority of members found them to be offensive, according to Campus Reform.

A draft of the bill said flags, especially the American flag, were "symbols of patriotism or weapons for nationalism." The student bill also suggested American flags flying in inclusive zones could be seen as a form of hate speech.

2. ‘American Sniper’ Screenings Banned
The U.S. military is the best in the world and a source of pride for millions of us. Many agreed the film ‘American Sniper’ was a compelling tale of courage and sacrifice. After the film’s release, however, a few campuses canceled or banned screenings of the movie.

One such campus was Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, a private science and engineering college in New York. Another was the University of Michigan, according to NewsMax.

The University of Michigan later reversed its decision. "The initial decision to cancel the movie was not consistent with the high value the University of Michigan places on freedom of expression and our respect for the right of students to make their own choices in such matters," vice president of student life E. Royster Harper told the Detroit Free Press.

3. Chick-Fil-A is Banned
The Johns Hopkins University Student Government Association has voted against bringing Chick-fil-A to campus because the group is offended by the CEO’s support for traditional marriage. A student government resolution said, "Prospective and current students, staff, faculty and other visitors who are members of the LGBT community ... would be subjected to the micro-aggression of supporting current or future Chick-fil-A development plans."

"Colleges and universities are seeming to value diversity in everything but thought," said the president of the Johns Hopkins’ pro-life organization. His peers, however, seem content with allowing only liberal thoughts on campus.

4. ‘Mr.’ and ‘Ms.’ are Banned
The City University of New York’s Graduate Center no longer welcomes the titles "Mr. or Ms.” on campus. 'Effective Spring 2015, the (graduate center’s) policy is to eliminate the use of gendered salutations and references in correspondence to students, prospective students, and third parties,' read a memo from Interim Provost Louise Lennihan. “Accordingly, Mr. and Ms. should be omitted from salutations.”

So much for courtesy! Instead, the administrator suggests faculty and staff address people by their full names.

5. The Word ‘Freshman’ is Banned
Elon University in N.C. last fall aimed to stop promoting sexist stereotypes. Its idea of a sexist stereotype? The word “freshman.” Administrators banned the word from their website and orientation workshops, and replaced it with “first year.” The director of the school's Inclusive Community Wellbeing, Leigh Ann Royster, told The College Fix the word “freshman” insinuates a hierarchy among students and might contribute to sexual violence because it labels the youngest students, which could make them targets.

Being a young woman in addition to being a “freshman,” therefore, makes a person more prone to being taken advantage of, she suggests. Doesn’t that sound more sexist than the word 'freshman'?

The Wussiest Bans in America | LifeZette

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

November 23, 2015, 09:37 PM

IIRC, there was a college in the South that was attempting to ban the use of gender pronouns (his, her, she, him) and replace them with gender neutral terms.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
TNT
GP Champ

November 23, 2015, 10:20 PM

*throws up hands*

That's it! I give up. I henceforth cede use of my bucket as I will no longer be attempting to bail water out of the sinking ship.

WTF is a "micro-aggression?" The term seems to mean "minor annoyance" or "slight bother." We need to worry about this s***? Really? These people really don't have enough to do. I wish they would do something productive, so the rest of us don't have to carry their load, especially since most of it is full of bullcrap.
Unread
  (#4)
Meh

November 23, 2015, 10:25 PM

Great read: How Trigger Warnings Are Hurting Mental Health on Campus - The Atlantic

BTW Heist, that was Tennessee: University of Tennessee tells staff and students to stop using 'he' and 'she' | Daily Mail Online
Unread
  (#5)
No more 1050 :(

November 24, 2015, 04:41 AM

What if I'm offended by safe zones?
Unread
  (#6)
TNT
GP Champ

November 24, 2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz1050 View Post
What if I'm offended by safe zones?
Then you're an evil bigot that needs 5000 hours of sensitivity training to fix you.
Unread
  (#7)
Meh

November 24, 2015, 06:52 AM

These little shits better be ready. The Russia youth are ready to fight and itching for one.
Unread
  (#8)
I'm a llama again!

November 24, 2015, 08:06 AM

This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#9)
Groping is a skill...

November 24, 2015, 09:13 AM

It all starts with the parents. They're so pussyfying the new generation. They allow their kids to complain about everything. When I complained in school the teacher beat me. When I complained at home my mom beat me. When I disrespected my elders, the local big boys beat me, then that same night my parents beat me. I came out ok

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Stop light racer...

November 24, 2015, 09:28 AM

I always argue that bullying is a good thing. In elementary school I had chunky plastic glasses and wore weird sweaters -thanks mom and dad- and I got bullied. Guess what I did? I agreed with the people bullying me, laughed at myself, then made of fun of them after which we became friends. I learned to deal with difficult situations and people, a lost art it seems.

If you're offended by something or someone that is your fault... Deal with it.

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T
Unread
  (#11)
Your Ad Here

November 24, 2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnbell View Post
I always argue that bullying is a good thing.it.
Bullying is like criticism. There are healthy levels and amounts of criticism, and there are toxic and unhealthy levels.

A parent has a responsibility to make sure there are rational boundaries drawn around it.

Trust me, when an entire school is after a kid - it can screw with their head and drive them into a pretty bad place.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
TNT
GP Champ

November 24, 2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Bullying is like criticism. There are healthy levels and amounts of criticism, and there are toxic and unhealthy levels.

A parent has a responsibility to make sure there are rational boundaries drawn around it.

Trust me, when an entire school is after a kid - it can screw with their head and drive them into a pretty bad place.
"Moderation in all things." As always, that line comes back to ring true. There is an appropriate boundary for each of these "concerns." We should not go out and stamp out every instance of bullying, no matter how small, because of the negative downstream consequences; however, we should stamp out egregious and continued bullying.

We have the same people who argue "the world isn't black and white, and you need to judge based on circumstance" now arguing that ALL instances of a certain type of behavior are either acceptable or unacceptable.

Well, wait a minute there, Thunder. Didn't you just say that SHUTUP YOU BIGOT! YOUR IDEAS ARE WRONG!

Too often we are trying to get a one-size fits all engineered solution. The problem is...that does not work well most of the time. The reason we look for this is because we are lazy and don't want to take responsibility for judging and taking action on a situation, because if we're wrong, then people won't like us. We don't accept mistakes, so the only way to not make mistakes is to not do anything. But something must be done, so we'll create a policy that takes decision-making out of our hands, so we can't be blamed if it goes poorly.

Great...

Last edited by TNT; November 24, 2015 at 11:04 AM..
Unread
  (#13)
GP Racer

November 24, 2015, 11:16 AM

It's spelled Murica! Your banned.

----------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTorch7 View Post
So in summary you're a little bitch, nobody believes your bitchass about anything, you look like a bitch, you sound like a whiny bitch and you've probably been a bitch for a long time.

All I want to know, how old were you when you realized you were a bitch? or did someone else have to tell you?

The only thing you can Jocky is the keyboard, so why dont you stfu Bitch
Unread
  (#14)
i suck at the introweb

November 24, 2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
*throws up hands*

That's it! I give up. I henceforth cede use of my bucket as I will no longer be attempting to bail water out of the sinking ship.

WTF is a "micro-aggression?" The term seems to mean "minor annoyance" or "slight bother." We need to worry about this s***? Really? These people really don't have enough to do. I wish they would do something productive, so the rest of us don't have to carry their load, especially since most of it is full of bullcrap.
I am with you right there, I even threw the key board up. F*** YOU!!! University of California, Irvine!!! Seriously, majority of members found the American Flag to be offensive??? "symbols of patriotism or weapons for nationalism."??? American flags flying in inclusive zones could be seen as a form of hate speech???

GET THE F*** OUT THEN!!! You don't like the American Flag, well um??? YOUR IN F***ing Murica it's going to fly!!! Don't like it GET THE F*** OUT!!!

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
Unread
  (#15)
Meh

November 26, 2015, 10:39 AM

University Students Comforted With 'Counseling' After Seeing Confederate Flag on Laptop