DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 544
2 members and 542 guests
davidcycle, Speed3
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#31)
Your Ad Here

June 11, 2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFORC1 View Post
Cheapest MBP with retina display is $2200.. No thanks.. I'll keep my Oct 2010 MBP.

Dear Apple -

Enjoy the your products, however, you can suck my left nut with your outlandish prices.
Somehow your reality distortion field prevents you from recognizing that computers are commodities and each generation of product that uses available technology comes down marginally in price.

-Heist

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#32)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

June 11, 2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFORC1 View Post
Is your .mil discount the same as .edu and .gov? Generally seems to be around $100 on select items.
I havent checked in a while, but it used to be that edu beat gov and mil by a SMALL margin. I used to be employed by a school district and used my edu discount to buy a MPB back in the day.

But yeah, it's about the same

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#33)
Site ADMIN

June 11, 2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Paper specs of Android phones are always great but they don't match up to the iPhones build quality and user friendliness.

I'd like to see an Android phone that didn't feel like a girls plastic makeup case.

Even the Lumia running Windows feels leagues better than Android phones.
A coworker, who now works for google(go figure), had the nexus phones. I think there have been 3 now right?

That was the only android phone that felt solid and polished. no bloatware either. That was probably the closest as it can get right now.

I was impressed with the build qualities.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#34)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

June 11, 2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Dear Apple -

Enjoy the your products, however, you can suck my left nut with your outlandish prices.
Somehow your reality distortion field prevents you from recognizing that computers are commodities and each generation of product that uses available technology comes down marginally in price.

-Heist
Dear Heist

You should realize that raw materials alone do not set the pricing for any particular item. Additionally, there are many improvements. I don't think there are any other laptops on the market with display resolutions that high, for example.

Additionally, I have had the same mac for 5 years. It FINALLY had a problem, and i elected to replace it.

I don't care if the "components" are "the same"

Something about the process makes them last longer.

I don't understand it, but shit. One computer for a 5 year period? Yeah. I'm in.

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#35)
Your Ad Here

June 11, 2012, 02:40 PM

It's been one the big questions hanging over WWDC -- will Apple actually toss Google to the side and launch it's own mapping service specifically for iOS? Well, it's not a question any more, but a cold hard fact. Apple's mapping solution is here, taking over where Google left off. The move is hardly shocking since Apple has already confirmed that it's been working on a traffic database and snatched up a number of mapping companies. Besides, it's not like Cupertino and Mountain View are the best of buds right now. Maps includes all of the features you've come to expect from the previous iOS solution, but with a number of enhancements. This all new mapping solution includes 100 million different business listings, Yelp integration and, biggest of all, turn-by-turn navigation. The app does use anonymously collected data to populate traffic information and any rerouting is brought to your attention with a pop-up notification.

The story isn't done yet, though. The maps are even rendered in full 3D, not unlike what Google announced last week. (And the news was delivered in a way that made it clear Apple think's they've one upped their former map app provider.) The whole demo -- flipping through business listings, flying around in 3D and navigating labyrinth-like city streets -- was performed on one of those shiny new iPads... you know, the ones that are getting Siri support soon. Which, if you haven't figured out yet, plays quite nicely with the new Maps app as we saw in the demo. Ask Siri to find a gas station on your route or how much longer you'll be on the road and the pleasantly robotic voice gets you the relevant info.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#36)
Site ADMIN

June 11, 2012, 02:41 PM

owwww my eyes!!

fak!

the fuck heist!

*edit*

i see you fixed it.. lol damn that color!

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#37)
Site Owner

June 11, 2012, 02:47 PM

I can grab the iOS 6 beta, but still won't.

1) no jailbreak
2) the first 3-4 iterations of the beta are usually shitty

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#38)
Site ADMIN

June 11, 2012, 02:49 PM

what you think of some of the new features?

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#39)
#swag

June 11, 2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I havent checked in a while, but it used to be that edu beat gov and mil by a SMALL margin. I used to be employed by a school district and used my edu discount to buy a MPB back in the day.

But yeah, it's about the same
$200 off 15.4" mbp w/ retina display with .gov discount and .edu discount. $1999...but shipping is free!

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#40)
Your Ad Here

June 11, 2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Dear Heist

You should realize that raw materials alone do not set the pricing for any particular item. Additionally, there are many improvements. I don't think there are any other laptops on the market with display resolutions that high, for example.

Additionally, I have had the same mac for 5 years. It FINALLY had a problem, and i elected to replace it.

I don't care if the "components" are "the same"

Something about the process makes them last longer.

I don't understand it, but shit. One computer for a 5 year period? Yeah. I'm in.
Apple has more specific design requirements and tolerances and try to keep much of their design "in house" which helps integration and longevity.
While that does lead to a more robust machine, the BOM cost generally goes down on many of the part and parcel components they use but their prices creep up by double digit percentages with each iteration.

If memory serves, you could get into the 17" MBP line at around $2000 topping out around $2500 or so for a fully stacked model. Now the train pulls out at $2200?

Unread
  (#41)
Site Owner

June 11, 2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
what you think of some of the new features?
Iterative as usual. Nothing groundbreaking.

I'm looking forward to the new maps, since the Google Maps that were included looked (and functioned) like they were from 2007 (which they were).

I still have the iPhone 4 so never was on the Siri bandwagon -- don't know how much I'd actually use it.

As a developer, I'd like them to come out with a API for Siri, not just the ability to launch apps - but full integration to allow me to tie in my app completely to it. That would allow for some killer ideas and even broaden the scope of the app store and what developers can put in it.

"Siri, find me new classified posts on DCSportbikes", and then it launches forum runner to dcsportbikes and does the search?

That would be effin cool.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#42)
SUPERBITCHIN'

June 11, 2012, 02:55 PM

as a developer myself I also agree on the API for Siri thing.

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#43)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

June 11, 2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Iterative as usual. Nothing groundbreaking.

I'm looking forward to the new maps, since the Google Maps that were included looked (and functioned) like they were from 2007 (which they were).

I still have the iPhone 4 so never was on the Siri bandwagon -- don't know how much I'd actually use it.

As a developer, I'd like them to come out with a API for Siri, not just the ability to launch apps - but full integration to allow me to tie in my app completely to it. That would allow for some killer ideas and even broaden the scope of the app store and what developers can put in it.

"Siri, find me new classified posts on DCSportbikes", and then it launches forum runner to dcsportbikes and does the search?

That would be effin cool.

Siri, I'm fucking mad as hell and need an outlet."

"Launching ForumRunner and logging in as BiffTannen"

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#44)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
June 11, 2012, 02:56 PM

Liking a lot of what I am seeing at this WWDC.

As said above, the edu discount will vary depending on what your purchasing by a bit. $100 bucks off for edu if your purchasing stuff that totals 1800.....above that it becomes $200 bucks off.

The maps thing is a cool add on and the turn by turn will be nice to have. I have been pretty happy with Google Maps and ever since I got the Iphone 4 have loved it since it updates pretty much real time and I could follow where I was on the map and know where to turn.

Leslie

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#45)
Your Ad Here

June 11, 2012, 03:02 PM

Clem, I've read on some of the Iphone hacker boards a few guys have found some SIRI APIs and have been tinkering with the very thing you mentioned.