DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 243
1 members and 242 guests
Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
XM and Sirus Might Merge??
Unread
  (#1)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

XM and Sirus Might Merge?? - February 19, 2007, 01:40 PM

Sirius, XM Shares Rise in Germany on Merger Speculation

By Christopher Stern
Feb. 19 (Bloomberg) -- Shares of XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. and Sirius Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. rose in Germany after a published report said the rival pay radio services may announce a merger as soon as today.
Sirius, based in New York, rose 27 cents to 3.05 euros ($4.01) in Germany, the equivalent of an 8.4 percent gain from the Feb. 16 close of $3.70 on the Nasdaq Stock Market. Washington-based XM rose 47 cents to 11.09 euros ($14.59) in Germany, up 4.4 percent from its U.S. close of $13.98.
The New York Post reported the companies may announce a merger today, citing an unidentified person familiar with the talks. Sirius would be expected to have a larger share of the combined company because of its greater market value, the newspaper reported. XM has more subscribers.
A proposed merger would face hurdles including U.S. Federal Communications Commission regulations that bar the companies from combining. The agency has the authority to rescind the ban. Sirius and XM have lost billions competing against each other and the industry faces competition for listeners from high-definition radio and portable music players such as the iPods.
Patrick Reilly, a spokesman for Sirius, didn't immediately return a phone call at his office. XM spokesman Nathaniel Brown was also unavailable.
Shares of both companies rose on Friday, Feb. 16, the last day of trading before the President's Day observance in the U.S. today. XM gained 7.7 percent and Sirius advanced 2.8 percent as Bear, Stearns & Co. analyst Robert Peck in New York predicted the two companies would try to rescind the ban.
Regulatory Hurdles
``We think that both XM and Sirius believe a proposed merger could likely pass the regulatory hurdles, which we think would push them to attempt a merger,'' Peck wrote to investors. He rates XM shares ``outperform'' and Sirius ``peer perform'' and doesn't own either.
Sirius Chief Executive Officer Mel Karmazin sparked talk of a merger in June, saying he would be interested in buying rival XM if the price were right.
``Clear synergies are likely there,'' XM Chairman Gary Parsons said at a Citigroup Inc. investment conference on Jan. 9 in Las Vegas.
XM finished the year with 7.63 million subscribers, shy of the 7.7 million to 7.9 million it had forecast in November. The number of users rose 29 percent from 2005.
Sirius subscribers increased 82 percent to 6 million last year, in line with its forecast.
As of Feb. 16, Sirius had a market value of $5.2 billion, while XM was valued at $3.75 billion.
To contact the reporter on this story: Christopher Stern in Washington at
Last Updated: February 19, 2007 13:32 EST
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#2)
TIMMEH!

February 20, 2007, 10:06 AM

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/20/news...ion=2007022010

"We are competing principally with free radio. What we are trying to do is get more subscribers and not just charge the 10 percent of the population that already subscribe more money," he said. "We are reaching out to the 90 percent that are not subscribers. Obviously there is sensitivity on the price point."

Interesting. This would be a good thing, as long as subscriber prices get "regulated" somehow. I'd hate for the monopoly to raise rates from $13/month to like $30/month right off the bat. However, I'd be happy to be able to get the baseball AND football packages!

Ninja636 says:
yes, dick is fun!
Ninja636 says:
OH WAIT....
Ninja636 says:
MAYBE I SHOULD REPHRASE THAT

LaoTzu: "I'll just let everyone know, Glade sprayed up the azz burns!"

(While Climbing, talking about his chalk bag)
Matt - "I like it around back where it hits me on the butt while I'm climbing. It's like 'Oooooh, what was that?'"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CFIGixx600  
Unread
  (#3)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

February 20, 2007, 10:12 AM

I will never pay for radio!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Nothing here

February 20, 2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131
Do you have cable/satelite? I bet you do.
Unread
  (#5)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

February 20, 2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madali
Do you have cable/satelite? I bet you do.
Yup but radio is different for me! I have cds and can find good radio stations! When I moved to Sterling I couldn't even get the local channels on tv unless I had a huge tenna!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#6)
TIMMEH!

February 20, 2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
And that's great. For you. Except I want to listen to Jerry Remy call the Red Sox game whenever I want. And the Sox are not on tv all the time. Also, during football season, I want to listen to the Pats game on the radio, since they aren't on all the time. Which is why I'm willing to pay $13/month to get that.

Ninja636 says:
yes, dick is fun!
Ninja636 says:
OH WAIT....
Ninja636 says:
MAYBE I SHOULD REPHRASE THAT

LaoTzu: "I'll just let everyone know, Glade sprayed up the azz burns!"

(While Climbing, talking about his chalk bag)
Matt - "I like it around back where it hits me on the butt while I'm climbing. It's like 'Oooooh, what was that?'"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CFIGixx600  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

February 20, 2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I got my XM for the bike. $13 is the cost of one cd, but I don't have to change it or play it again every 45 minutes. I also like being able to listen to the weather and traffic or comedy. I don't think that I have bought a cd since I got XM. Plus the receivers are getting smaller and have record features now. Better yet, Garmin has built XM with WeatherNAV and TrafficNAV in a nice waterproof M/C friendly package.
Unread
  (#8)
No! You!

February 20, 2007, 11:22 AM

I'm already paying for the internet, cable tv, DVD rentals/netflix and a cell phone...Total is probably around $200/mo. Plus, I still go to the movies ($10/ticket). I refuse to pay for Radio, too! Back in the day I didn't have or need these... It's like companies keep coming up with ways to get our money every month!!! Carajo!

Miami Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxx
I slapped him in the forehead for being vulgar (I'm a lady, dammit).
Unread
  (#9)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

February 21, 2007, 12:25 PM

Unless they pay the FCC under the table the deal may not happen. I had purchased XM stock awhile back I just saw a return from them. For a few months they will lose some money. Why? advertising the new product and getting new customers at a low cost.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#10)
Ling Long

February 21, 2007, 01:15 PM

HD radio is edging out sattelite. Even the major car manufacturers are starting to put HD radios in standard. Satellite radio with a monthly subscription isn't going to be the market standard.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#11)
Repping WPNR is Tennessee

Location: GOOD OL' ROCKY TOP...ROCKY TOP TENNESSEE...GO VOLS!!!!!!!!
February 21, 2007, 03:02 PM

I have XM...........i dont care if they merge......as long as I can get Howard Stern!!

RIP...Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg WE MISS YOU BUDDY!!!

WulfPakRydaz- Strength in Numbers

Cause thats how we roll......
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to PimpD