DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 553
5 members and 548 guests
2blueyam, nootherids, Sal_the_man, TonUp, Triple X
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Yep went ahead and did it. Bought a pair of Vibram Five Fingers
Unread
  (#1)
Im Always Down to Ride

Yep went ahead and did it. Bought a pair of Vibram Five Fingers - March 19, 2012, 10:31 AM

So I been into this running thing and my problem has consistently been buying a running shoe that looked good enough to wear casually so after I break them in, I wear them as regular shoes. I have a few co-workers here who have the Five Fingers and die by them that they are the best thing since slice bread to go running in.

So I went and took the leap of faith today. Got the Vibram Five Fingers Bikila LS.

Did the size chart and fell into a Sz. 42. Found a site that had them for $76 with free shipping instead of that normal $100.

Anyone else have a pair? What is your review of them?

Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?

Speed kills, ride a Yamaha!

MotorSport/PowerSport Auctions
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

March 19, 2012, 10:50 AM

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

March 19, 2012, 10:54 AM

Those things creep me right the fuck out!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Knarly Adventurer

March 19, 2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds120 View Post
So I been into this running thing and my problem has consistently been buying a running shoe that looked good enough to wear casually so after I break them in, I wear them as regular shoes. I have a few co-workers here who have the Five Fingers and die by them that they are the best thing since slice bread to go running in.
Well you at least you just solved that problem.

Let me know how they fit, adn what is your normal US sneaker size.
I usually wear a 9 or 10 and a 42 Euro in moto boots. Just curious is these
run the same.

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#5)
Mojito Anyone?

March 19, 2012, 10:58 AM

Ive had them since they first appeared in late 09... I usually only wear them for water sports but have worn them hiking and rock climbing..

Ive beat the hell out of them and they have held up great..

if you get over the looks and the way they feel between your toes they are a great piece of footwear..

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

March 19, 2012, 11:00 AM

I couldn't get over the looks or the way they felt. I went with merrel bare foots and they are great. Same vibram sole, without ne separated fingers.
Unread
  (#7)
Im Always Down to Ride

March 19, 2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjester View Post

run the same.

I wear a 10 in regular shoes. Put my foot against the wall and ruler measured to 10 3/4 inches which = 42 in their shoes. From the reviews, this model fit true to size. Some others you might have to get 43 or 41.

Unread
  (#8)
Licensed Rider

March 19, 2012, 02:58 PM

I have a pair of the FiveFingers KSOs and love love LOVE them. My feet can move naturally, and I can **feel** the ground under my feet, which allows me to move with more confidence, as I'm less likely to trip. My posture is improved, and I find that I slouch less when wearing them.

Lifting weights at the gym, I can let my feet flex and really get back onto my heels for squats, etc. They're also great when I'm stretching at the end of a workout...I can really get down into the stretch.

I love driving in them...I drive a 6-speed, and I can feel the gas/clutch/brake a lot better when wearing them as opposed to sneakers or heels.

I've gotten reactions from "WTF is on your feet?" to "are those comfortable?!" when wearing them. Can't say enough good things about 'em.

“A woman who rides a motorcycle is in tune with the universe, a candidate for high adventure.”

--Celestine Sibley

2012 Ducati Monster 696
1992 Kawasaki EX500
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport

http://gplus.to/ladyhawke82
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to ladyhawke82 Send a message via AIM to ladyhawke82  
Unread
  (#9)
Im Always Down to Ride

March 19, 2012, 03:03 PM

^^ Cool. I just re-measured using a real ruler. So I called the guy and he switched them to the 41 with no problem. Shipping Priority so hopefully I get them Wed. Coming from Nevada so...may be Thursday.

Ready to get a run in though. Could not beat that price of 76 when they are normally 100.

Unread
  (#10)
Knarly Adventurer

March 19, 2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhawke82 View Post
I have a pair of the FiveFingers KSOs and love love LOVE them. My feet can move naturally, and I can **feel** the ground under my feet, which allows me to move with more confidence, as I'm less likely to trip. My posture is improved, and I find that I slouch less when wearing them.

Lifting weights at the gym, I can let my feet flex and really get back onto my heels for squats, etc. They're also great when I'm stretching at the end of a workout...I can really get down into the stretch.

I love driving in them...I drive a 6-speed, and I can feel the gas/clutch/brake a lot better when wearing them as opposed to sneakers or heels.

I've gotten reactions from "WTF is on your feet?" to "are those comfortable?!" when wearing them. Can't say enough good things about 'em.
Pics or it didn't happen.

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

March 19, 2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds120 View Post

So I went and took the leap of faith today. Got the Vibram Five Fingers Bikila LS.

Did the size chart and fell into a Sz. 42. Found a site that had them for $76 with free shipping instead of that normal $100.

Anyone else have a pair? What is your review of them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhawke82 View Post

I am in the same boat as you. I caved into the craze and bought myself a pair a week ago. They are ugly as sin but once I tried them on at REI and felt the difference I started softening up to them. I have serious back pain problems when running and read up about how the natural running form will help alleviate that tremendously. It turns out they were right. I started running with them and my I had no pain on my back or my shoulders, something that was chronic for me when running. I thought they would be super uncomfortable but turns out that now I would almost rather wear those shoes than any other shoes or even being barefoot. I can never wear shoes without socks because my feet sweat and if feels gross. These things can be worn w/o socks and feel great. My feet sweat less in these while working out than they do when wearing my regular light running shoes just sitting around the house. I did also buy the toe socks and those are awesome too and make the shoe feel better when running. I agree with Cuban that these shoes are perfect for any activities where you might get wet, whether it's boating, river play, or trail hiking. I got a little wet on a trail hike and they dried right up in a matter of minutes. I am a solid advocate now...but I still can't bring myself to wearing them when looks/fashion is of any importance. My wife calls them "Birth Control For Men".

SERIOUS WARNING!!! If you are planning on using them for barefoot/natural running these shoes will almost automatically force you to use the right stride (if you mentally think about it a bit). BUT DO NOT...and I repeat DO NOT go for your first run in them at your typical speed and distance. Your calves will be destroyed afterwards. My first run last Monday I did just over 2 miles at about 9-ish minutes/mile. I decided that I want to run with them every single day. Unfortunately the next day I woke up with horrible cramped calves and have been having to resort to the Elliptical for the rest of the week. Today I was finally able to run again and instead did just under 1.5 miles at like 12ish minutes/mile. My calves will definitely have to get used to it, but once they do I can totally tell how I will be able to run faster and farther than before because I didn't tire nearly as much as I used to with regular running shoes.

/end free marketing rant
Unread
  (#12)
Sick!!!

March 19, 2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onel0wcubn View Post
Ive had them since they first appeared in late 09... I usually only wear them for water sports but have worn them hiking and rock climbing..

Ive beat the hell out of them and they have held up great..

if you get over the looks and the way they feel between your toes they are a great piece of footwear..
Hey you're into water sports too! I've never thought about wearing shoes, figured I'd just have to wash them all the time.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to The Bogert  
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

March 19, 2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjester View Post

run the same.
Just jump on the bike and head to REI in Fairfax for a minute and try on a pair before you go searching for a better price online. There are also different models and truthfully, the difference in each one is pretty significant. I got the Treksport which is more of a trail+ shoe. But I was able to compare them to the Spyridon which is specially for trail running and the difference was pretty clear. Then try on the Flow or the Komodo or the Bikila and you will notice that they are great for street running but you don't really want to take them into trails or rivers with sharp rocks and stuff. Try on a few, the sole in each one actually makes a difference.
Unread
  (#14)
Derpetologist

March 19, 2012, 03:31 PM

I have been curious about these things for a while. I've read that people running barefoot tend to land more on their toes rather than their heels (true in my own experience too), which is softer on everything from the knees up.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Unread
  (#15)
Knee Draggin!

March 19, 2012, 03:35 PM

Purchased these online without getting a true measurement. I wear 44 euro in most shoes and riding boots. So I ordered a 44 euro. One size too big in vibrams. Need a 43 euro. Before I send them back. I'll offer them for what I paid.

$40, I have the reciept.

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to