DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 553
4 members and 549 guests
beatle, CCS762ZX6, Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
You値l need $250 in dongles to upgrade to the new MacBook Pro
Unread
  (#1)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

You値l need $250 in dongles to upgrade to the new MacBook Pro - October 28, 2016, 12:41 PM

MacBook Pro 2016: All your ports are replaced with dongles | BGR

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#2)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

October 28, 2016, 01:54 PM

meh, not a big deal to me (I never plan on buying another macbook anyways).

My HP Elitebook Folio G1 only has 2 USB-C connections and I rarely need to use them, usually with an ethernet adapter or full size usb adapter (the USB adapter is ~$8), ethernet dongles were needed anyways.

I also have a USB-C dock (~$100) for a more permanent location.

But overall, I don't see the handicap of USB-C only ports as that big if an issue, as long as there are more than one.

-Ryan

Last edited by Dark; October 28, 2016 at 02:23 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Triumph-ant

October 28, 2016, 04:08 PM

Unnecessarry and another scheme to mint money off die hard fans. I like my 2011 Macbook Pro but can easily live with something else. Our lenovo works just as well but doesnt have the solid construction of a Mac

1996 GS500E - Sold
2001 Speed Triple 955i - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#4)
Groping is a skill...

October 28, 2016, 05:06 PM

I'm slowly weaning myself off the Apple ecosystem. I'm tired of them constantly changing up little things and nickle and diming people.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Derpetologist

October 28, 2016, 10:23 PM

Yeah that's it. I'm done with Apple.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Unread
  (#6)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

October 29, 2016, 12:00 AM

I don't know what their deal is... I have been a big user of their stuff in the past but find myself less and less in their corner

the new surface studio is cool

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#7)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

October 29, 2016, 07:57 AM

My huge gripe with Macbooks is the lack of actual hardware performance. The systems are handicapped from the factory and the cooling solutions are unable to sustain the tdp. Apple has done great work with optimizing the OS for some applications but that's where the performance leaves you.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#8)
Your Ad Here

October 31, 2016, 10:40 AM

Not sure this article's claims were thoroughly vetted by the writer.
The opening example is erroneous:
Quote:
You might be asking, “how am I supposed to connect my iPhone to my new MacBook Pro?” The answer is that you’re going to have to buy a dongle.
You take your iPhone power cable, stick the Lightning end in the phone then stick the USB end in the USB-C port. Done.
USB-C fits and is backwards compatible with USB 3 and 2.

Apple (and all computer makers) have been put in an interesting position. They see how the performance and capabilities of their smart phones have jumped 3-4x in the last 6 years and wonder why laptops (a category in decline with lessening capital investment) haven't had the same levels of innovation and performance increases?

The consumer says, "Of preeminent importance we want lighter. We want thinner. We want more battery life. We want faster."

The overarching issue is what Consumers say they want vs. the world as it exists today, where power draw, physical packaging, materials, and thermal management with today's materials and technology have tradeoffs - and everything mobile computing is approaching a certain degree of convergence which we'll have to learn to accept.

A smartphone is a tablet without the accessory keyboard.
A tablet is a smartphone and low end laptop with a touch screen and without ports.
A convertible 2-in-1 is a high end tablet with ports and a keyboard.
A high end laptop is all of the above with or w/o a touchscreen and mid-tier desktop performance.

I still use my 10 15" MBP wherein I have 2 USB 2.0s, 1 Firewire, 1 Ethernet, 1 Mini Display, 1 SD Card slot, a DVD player, an audio in jack, and audio out jack, and of course a proprietary MagSafe port.

All of these i/o ports have differing size and power needs, and support peripherals that also have varying needs. Here's the rub; beyond the one USB port which I use for an external back-up and the MagSafe for quite obvious reasons, I haven't used ANY of these other ports in over 3 years.

There is simply no need. Everything is either done over WiFi or Bluetooth.
I throw video to my Apple TV over Bluetooth. My headphones are bluetooth. I get all my application, program and O/S updates over WiFi.
My photos are wirelessly beamed and fetched from the Cloud or from the camera to my laptop.

USB-C as it stands can replace several of the aforementioned connection methods including HDMI as it is cable of carrying HD Video under 4K.

So why the need for the added expense, design packaging, and tradeoffs of 4-5 connection solutions that don't see much use but for the limited number of hardcore consumers and professionals who have a need for these ports on a day-to-day basis?

In which case the peripherals they use will probably be replaced and upgraded in the point in the next 3-5 years and in all likelihood use USB-C or Bluetooth as the data transmission medium.

The sobering truth is Apple made its name on being this oddball machine that for decades lived in the fringes of computing devices and was geared towards the professional creative community, catering to their unique needs.

That ethos changed about 8 years ago and Apple has increasingly made themselves out to be a prestige brand mass consumer computer company when it comes to their laptops. Not exactly high end power houses. Definitely not a gaming rig. Still professional capable, but with its own vision of what future is. In summation though, still a more refined experience than all the others.

Can you buy a new Mustang GT-350 for less than an E-Class Coupe? Yep. But I still prefer the E-Class Coupe.

And let's be honest, until about 3 years ago even the high end laptops from other PC makers were disappointing in terms of longevity, parts durability, refinement, and warranty.

鄭ny man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

October 31, 2016, 02:57 PM

That sounds good and all....but it is a dictatorship. They make sure you ONLY can use there items...and it is def a marketing scheme....

Iphone: Why not allow industry standard Mini/Micro SD card? it effects nothing and allows users to increase storage and take items like 10,000 songs with them. Fuck cloud...cloud cost bandwith data or othere things.

They do not allow storage cards so that you spend more on the larger storage capacity phones. Samsung tried to be apple with the wired in battery and memory storage and saw a major drop in sales, along with bad performance. immediately next model allow SD cards again and pretty much the phone comes in one size. This alone exposed the practice of over paying for built in storage. 32, 64, 128GB.

The early Mac Book Pro with only one USB-C port is no more than a marketing ploy. Just to make news (they immediately added more USB-C ports on the next model)

It sounds good to use blutooth and wifi for everything, but if you are charging your device and someone hand you a portable hard drive to extract some items off....or you are working from then you are fucked.

I use to be the biggest Apple/mac fan...1991 to 2004 starting with the 32 bit nubus system to the introduction of the Unis based OS mid 90s. They were the dominate users of SCSI ports that transfered at the time more data than any other port (I was in computer graphics class and desktop publishing back then....Photoshop 2.5).

The biggest thing that lead me to leave Apple was when i took A++ class and started building my own PCs. PCers always shared programs...anything I wanted i could get...Apple folks were hogs with there programs in the 90s and early 2000s. Unless you had something they wanted, no one would share programs...at work, nore college. Everyone was giving PC programs away...I remember people making dozens of disks to give away at school and we even had a teacher sanctioned program swap day so we could continue our assignments at home.

Anyway....I do not like the dictatorship feel of Apple. I watch my GF spend crazy money on here iPhone products, cords and all.

I can not imagine walking into an Apple store that is always jamed packed to get my device looked at as if its a pet.

I only own a iPod classic now.....she is my life lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Not sure this article's claims were thoroughly vetted by the writer.
The opening example is erroneous:

You take your iPhone power cable, stick the Lightning end in the phone then stick the USB end in the USB-C port. Done.
USB-C fits and is backwards compatible with USB 3 and 2.

Apple (and all computer makers) have been put in an interesting position. They see how the performance and capabilities of their smart phones have jumped 3-4x in the last 6 years and wonder why laptops (a category in decline with lessening capital investment) haven't had the same levels of innovation and performance increases?

The consumer says, "Of preeminent importance we want lighter. We want thinner. We want more battery life. We want faster."

The overarching issue is what Consumers say they want vs. the world as it exists today, where power draw, physical packaging, materials, and thermal management with today's materials and technology have tradeoffs - and everything mobile computing is approaching a certain degree of convergence which we'll have to learn to accept.

A smartphone is a tablet without the accessory keyboard.
A tablet is a smartphone and low end laptop with a touch screen and without ports.
A convertible 2-in-1 is a high end tablet with ports and a keyboard.
A high end laptop is all of the above with or w/o a touchscreen and mid-tier desktop performance.

I still use my 10 15" MBP wherein I have 2 USB 2.0s, 1 Firewire, 1 Ethernet, 1 Mini Display, 1 SD Card slot, a DVD player, an audio in jack, and audio out jack, and of course a proprietary MagSafe port.

All of these i/o ports have differing size and power needs, and support peripherals that also have varying needs. Here's the rub; beyond the one USB port which I use for an external back-up and the MagSafe for quite obvious reasons, I haven't used ANY of these other ports in over 3 years.

There is simply no need. Everything is either done over WiFi or Bluetooth.
I throw video to my Apple TV over Bluetooth. My headphones are bluetooth. I get all my application, program and O/S updates over WiFi.
My photos are wirelessly beamed and fetched from the Cloud or from the camera to my laptop.

USB-C as it stands can replace several of the aforementioned connection methods including HDMI as it is cable of carrying HD Video under 4K.

So why the need for the added expense, design packaging, and tradeoffs of 4-5 connection solutions that don't see much use but for the limited number of hardcore consumers and professionals who have a need for these ports on a day-to-day basis?

In which case the peripherals they use will probably be replaced and upgraded in the point in the next 3-5 years and in all likelihood use USB-C or Bluetooth as the data transmission medium.

The sobering truth is Apple made its name on being this oddball machine that for decades lived in the fringes of computing devices and was geared towards the professional creative community, catering to their unique needs.

That ethos changed about 8 years ago and Apple has increasingly made themselves out to be a prestige brand mass consumer computer company when it comes to their laptops. Not exactly high end power houses. Definitely not a gaming rig. Still professional capable, but with its own vision of what future is. In summation though, still a more refined experience than all the others.

Can you buy a new Mustang GT-350 for less than an E-Class Coupe? Yep. But I still prefer the E-Class Coupe.

And let's be honest, until about 3 years ago even the high end laptops from other PC makers were disappointing in terms of longevity, parts durability, refinement, and warranty.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#10)
Chasing the dragon

November 3, 2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
<snip>

<snip>
The only reason I sold my original 2010 13" that I bought in undergrad was because I got one hell of a deal on my current 2013 15" retina. That 2010 is still going strong with a good friend that has been using it for a hybrid MBA program.

I still jump onto current higher end PCs decently regularly due to my field, and while there has been a HUGE jump in quality vs what led me to buy my first MBP as a broke undergrad, I still feel "meh" to them. I also haven't been a fan of Windows, and I am not geek enough to go full-time Linux.

As far as storage on phones, there are enough cloud options that it is whatever. You can get a solid amount of storage in iCloud for $0.99/month (50GB IIRC). If you are paranoid about your dick pics being stored on someone else hardware, then setting up an at-home NAS cloud isn't hard these days with COTS solutions.

We have to take a step back sometimes and really evaluate what we say we want vs what we really want. The majority of people say they want the world, but only use a fraction of a percentage of it. It occurs across all industries. The popularity of CUVs vs SUVs of a decade ago is the best example of this.

More gas, less brake
Unread
  (#11)
Groping is a skill...

November 3, 2016, 09:48 PM

Just found out that they won't have a SD card reader anymore either. I'm sure they'll sell a wireless one for $300 soon

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to