DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 564
1 members and 563 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
02 R6 Overheating
Unread
  (#1)
Yellow light phobia

02 R6 Overheating - April 27, 2010, 09:59 AM

So my R6 has been over heating recently. Started last fall when I was still riding. Took it out once in December for a short ride and it overheated in 40* weather. Took it out once in March and it kept over heating even when riding on throttle. It would be running at about 220* and then at stop lights climb quickly to 250* and shut off at stop lights. I have a manual fan switch but that doesn't seem to help much.

Is it my thermostat? I had the coolant flushed at RNR last spring right as the riding season started. Any idea what it could be? I don't smell coolant or see anything leaking.

Collin
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
SUPERBITCHIN'

April 27, 2010, 10:01 AM

have you tried engine ice? either way those temps are a little high.

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#3)
Yellow light phobia

April 27, 2010, 10:19 AM

I think that is what RnR put in my bike. I'm not 100% sure I don't remember. To me it seems like something more than coolant. Thermostat seems to stick out in my mind the most...

Collin
Unread
  (#4)
Road Kill

April 27, 2010, 10:33 AM

the overflow on the 99-02 system is weird. things to check....

Do you have coolant in the system? My 99 blew the hose off that routed it through the carb system... it ran almost 1k miles before it purged the coolant out and tried to overheat.

So if there is no coolant in the system (check the fill cap on the right side of the bike under the plastics)... pull the tank and check it out. the "overflow" lines run from around the fill neck to the carbs and then to the tinny overflow bottle that is attached to your air box... look for signs of a leak... green or orange stains on the case and head... it will evaporate quickly. also check your radiator cap for a good seal.

1999 Yamaha R6... from the track, back to the street
www.mmsports.org
SJS Customs

YaoMatt:Here's a free bit of advice: Put down the fucking ho-ho!!! And I don't mean your daughter.

Bexxx: yeah my ass was a wee bit sore after that
BabyBusa04: MY ASS IS SORE AS HELL
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JMURACN  
Unread
  (#5)
Road Kill

April 27, 2010, 10:34 AM

where are you in oakton, you can PM me if you want... i can swing by later this week and check it out with you if you want.

www.mmsports.org
SJS Customs

YaoMatt:Here's a free bit of advice: Put down the fucking ho-ho!!! And I don't mean your daughter.

Unread
  (#6)
Yellow light phobia

April 27, 2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMURACN View Post
where are you in oakton, you can PM me if you want... i can swing by later this week and check it out with you if you want.
Thanks. The bike is in Arlington right now in a garage. Since I can't ride it I've been leaving it there instead of under the cover in my driveway. I'm in Miller Heights if you know where that is. Ill check all the things you listed. If I can't find anything from there I'll definitely take you up on your offer though. Thanks.

Collin
Unread
  (#7)
MSF Student

April 27, 2010, 11:00 AM

+1 Start with the simple stuff; leaks, fluid levels, air in the system. First gens are known to leak from a pressed in fitting on the water pump housing. Also check the gasket/seal on the water pump housing. If it leaks, it can drip down under the housing and it will get soaked up by the foam on the inside of the right lower fairing so you'd never see it. If they all check out I would look to the thermostat not opening or the water pump seizing.
Unread
  (#8)
Road Kill

April 27, 2010, 11:50 AM

i also work in arlington, i can swing by and help look at it if you want... but probably not this week. check it out, if you cant find the problem i can try to swing by after work.

www.mmsports.org
SJS Customs

Unread
  (#9)
Track Ho

April 27, 2010, 12:04 PM

damn look at this fool postin out of the blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangelracerx View Post
+1 Start with the simple stuff; leaks, fluid levels, air in the system. First gens are known to leak from a pressed in fitting on the water pump housing. Also check the gasket/seal on the water pump housing. If it leaks, it can drip down under the housing and it will get soaked up by the foam on the inside of the right lower fairing so you'd never see it. If they all check out I would look to the thermostat not opening or the water pump seizing.

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"