DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 546
3 members and 543 guests
GRN96WS6, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
06 R6 Cold Start issue
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

06 R6 Cold Start issue - May 17, 2008, 01:18 PM

My bike doesnt want to start very easily on cold starts, i.e. in the morning or after its been sitting at work all day. The battery is new. I was just wondering if anyone might have an idea on what to try.

Thanks guys
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Derpentine Dealer

May 17, 2008, 01:21 PM

You have to be more specific. Does the starter sound strong and crank the engine? Is it then just not sparking or getting fuel? Or is the starter sluggish and having a hard time cranking the engine? In that case, although it's a new battery, something may be wrong with it or how it is connected.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#3)
Got my Permit

May 17, 2008, 01:24 PM

It has a strong crank and does eventually start and run well, it just has to crank for a good 20-30 seconds sometimes before it will turn over. With that, I dont believe that there is any spark or fuel issue. Also, I can hear the fuel pump priming itself when the ignition is turned on.
Unread
  (#4)
Derpentine Dealer

May 17, 2008, 02:20 PM

That's too long to have to crank to get it firing. There aren't too many reasons to choose from for why a bike won't start up right away. It's either electrical or fuel. Because it does eventually fire and runs well from then on, I'm gonna guess it's a fuel issue. The bike seems like it doesn't get fuel very quickly. This is either a fuel cap issue or a fuel pump issue. The former is easy to check. Open your fuel tank fill cap before your next cold start. Just leave it down but unlatched. Then crank it and see what happens. Close the cap all the way once it starts. This is best done with two keys, one for the ignition, and one for the cap. If it's not that, then I suspect the fuel pump is faulty.

I have zero experience troubleshooting FI systems so let's hope someone with that experience jumps on here with some advice in the next day or so. Paging Johnyspeed954... paging dodge131...

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#5)
singin sweet home alabama

May 18, 2008, 01:33 AM

The 06+ R6's seem to be slow to crank regardless. My wife's 07 will occassionally take a good 5+ seconds to start on a perfectly warm day even.

Hell, it takes so long I often don't get it started on the first attempt. Heard the same from other R6 owners on R6messagenet.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#6)
Derpentine Dealer

May 18, 2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
The 06+ R6's seem to be slow to crank regardless. My wife's 07 will occassionally take a good 5+ seconds to start on a perfectly warm day even.

Hell, it takes so long I often don't get it started on the first attempt. Heard the same from other R6 owners on R6messagenet.
Systemic problem with the fuel pump then. I ride with a guy who has a 06 R6. I'll ask him next time how his cold starts are.

Unread
  (#7)
Owner & Creator

May 18, 2008, 07:38 AM

stop pusing the start button like a girl. Give it some uumph!
Unread
  (#8)
Got my Permit

May 18, 2008, 10:19 AM

haha, yeah. I sometimes dont get it started on the first attempt either and its just a pain in the ass at that point. I just cant imagine that this could be normal cause ive had 3 other R6's that all started like a champ. They were older models though. Is there any way that the exup valve in the exhaust could have anything to do with it?
Unread
  (#9)
Derpentine Dealer

May 18, 2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradVaR6
haha, yeah. I sometimes dont get it started on the first attempt either and its just a pain in the ass at that point. I just cant imagine that this could be normal cause ive had 3 other R6's that all started like a champ. They were older models though. Is there any way that the exup valve in the exhaust could have anything to do with it?
Not likely. You would get fire and then a really rough idle or stalling. Look, a bike only needs spark, fuel, and air to run. You have spark because it does eventually start and then runs just fine. You have air because it's all around you. What's left? Fuel. You have to troubleshoot the fuel supply. Cap or pump. You may have also gotten ahold of some bad gas with some moisture in it.

Unread
  (#10)
Got my Permit

May 18, 2008, 06:49 PM

I would lean away from the gas issue just because of all the tests they run on the in ground tanks because of the ethanol, ethanol will hold the water molecules suspended in the gas even though water is heavier than gasoline. Learned all that when they switched to the ethanol since I worked at a private shop as a tech and we were also a sunoco station.
Unread
  (#11)
whoa preppy......

May 18, 2008, 06:56 PM

try turning the key, allowing the fuel rail to prime completely, and then try to start it.

My Hayabusa started having a similar issue. Once I turned the key "on", counted to 8 or so, then hit the starter...BAM, fired right up. Otherwise, same deal.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Got my Permit

May 18, 2008, 08:57 PM

I actually have been trying that because i can hear the pump prime when i turn the key. Its a really weird issue and its somewhat intermitten because today it fired up with no problem after sitting all night. good idea on that though
Unread
  (#13)
Got Any Gwapes?

May 18, 2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradVaR6
I would lean away from the gas issue just because of all the tests they run on the in ground tanks because of the ethanol, ethanol will hold the water molecules suspended in the gas even though water is heavier than gasoline. Learned all that when they switched to the ethanol since I worked at a private shop as a tech and we were also a sunoco station.

Ethanol doesn't suspend the water, it attracts it. Water is heavier and lays on the bottom, ethanol separates from the fuel and lays on top of the water. Makes a parfait and a mess. Does your shop use BG? If so, put in 1/3 of a can of 44k, it'll help with the fuel injectors.

BTW, it's isopropyl that suspends the water, not the ethanol.

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#14)
Repping WPNR is Tennessee

Location: GOOD OL' ROCKY TOP...ROCKY TOP TENNESSEE...GO VOLS!!!!!!!!
May 18, 2008, 09:38 PM

Dont listen to Jay... Just kidding...Jay knows whats up...listen to his advice.

RIP...Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg WE MISS YOU BUDDY!!!

WulfPakRydaz- Strength in Numbers

Cause thats how we roll......
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to PimpD  
Unread
  (#15)
Got Any Gwapes?

May 18, 2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpD1!
Dont listen to Jay... Just kidding...Jay knows whats up...listen to his advice.
...and Yam Ryder loves the ladies in the shoutbox

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929