DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 494
3 members and 491 guests
GRN96WS6, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
'06 R6 rear axle nut won't loosen
Unread
  (#1)
Knee Draggin!

'06 R6 rear axle nut won't loosen - July 17, 2007, 10:32 PM

I was trying to do my first tire change, well at least remove the wheels so I can take them to get new rubber put on. I got the front wheel off without a problem. The rear wheels axle nut doesn't want to loosen.

I've tried that little dinky 32mm wrench in the tool kit until my hand started to hurt. Then I switched to a 12" adjustable wrench which was hard to get a good grip on the nut because it is recessed within the swing arm some. I had all my body weight on the wrench (feet off the ground) and still nothing moved. My last ditch effort for the night was to clamp onto the dinky tool kit wrench with the adjustable wrench for some added leverage. I gave that a few attempts before I feared breaking my hand and called it quits.

The service manual specifies 80ft-lbs of torque for that nut and I had at least 200ft-lbs against it (breakaway torque), I looked at the threads and it is left handed thread. My next idea was to get a pipe that the end of the tool kit wrench would fit in and give that a try (added leverage) or go to Sears and get a 32mm (1 1/4") socket and the biggest breaker bar money can buy (return when I'm done of course). Iím worried that a socket that big doesnít have enough clearance around the nut to fit on it though.

Am I missing an obvious step here or does anybody else have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help!

Charlie
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Site Owner

July 17, 2007, 10:48 PM

32mm socket + Bar breaker handle = Win.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#3)
Playing with toys

July 17, 2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
+1

That's all you'll need
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to N8RIDER  
Unread
  (#4)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

July 17, 2007, 11:04 PM

Whoooaaaa not left hand thread!!!! Try some Permatex lube first. Sometimes a little rust will form and you need a lube to get in there and loosen it up. If that won't work try a little heat from a propane torch. If you really need some help let me know.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#5)
Loves Sporking

July 18, 2007, 12:43 AM

If you invest in a socket, try to find a 6-sided one (Sears probably won't have it in stock). A 12-sider might roll. Good luck!

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#6)
B
It goes to 11.

July 18, 2007, 12:55 AM

Like dodge said, apply heat. My rotors were so tight they may as well been welded onto my chromies, a little heat and they came off like butter.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#7)
Retired to most ...

July 18, 2007, 06:43 AM

Ahhh the power of air!!

Rob has it right. 32 socket and a breaker bar. Then you can put some ass behind it.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#8)
Repping WPNR is Tennessee

Location: GOOD OL' ROCKY TOP...ROCKY TOP TENNESSEE...GO VOLS!!!!!!!!
July 18, 2007, 07:11 AM

+1000000000000 on what rob said...........if it doesnt work...a little heat, and it will come off like nuffin!!

RIP...Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg WE MISS YOU BUDDY!!!

WulfPakRydaz- Strength in Numbers

Cause thats how we roll......
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to PimpD  
Unread
  (#9)
Owner & Creator

July 18, 2007, 07:19 AM

Bring it to a real man, me
Unread
  (#10)
( * )|( * )

July 18, 2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
+1

DO NOT use an adjustable wrench on that bolt, you could strip the bolt easily.

Also, have someone hold the bike since it's very easy to lift the rear and possibly knock it off the rear stand.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#11)
singin sweet home alabama

July 18, 2007, 07:49 AM

Just make sure you don't break the puller/spacer on the other side of the axle if yours is designed the same way as the R1!!!

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#12)
Meh

July 18, 2007, 08:15 AM

Air or electric impact are very helpful. As JPV said...get a 6 sided impact socket.
Unread
  (#13)
Officially Addicted to Posting

July 18, 2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniecs
I was trying to do my first tire change, well at least remove the wheels so I can take them to get new rubber put on. I got the front wheel off without a problem. The rear wheels axle nut doesn't want to loosen.

I've tried that little dinky 32mm wrench in the tool kit until my hand started to hurt. Then I switched to a 12" adjustable wrench which was hard to get a good grip on the nut because it is recessed within the swing arm some. I had all my body weight on the wrench (feet off the ground) and still nothing moved. My last ditch effort for the night was to clamp onto the dinky tool kit wrench with the adjustable wrench for some added leverage. I gave that a few attempts before I feared breaking my hand and called it quits.

The service manual specifies 80ft-lbs of torque for that nut and I had at least 200ft-lbs against it (breakaway torque), I looked at the threads and it is left handed thread. My next idea was to get a pipe that the end of the tool kit wrench would fit in and give that a try (added leverage) or go to Sears and get a 32mm (1 1/4") socket and the biggest breaker bar money can buy (return when I'm done of course). Iím worried that a socket that big doesnít have enough clearance around the nut to fit on it though.

Am I missing an obvious step here or does anybody else have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help!
Turn it the other way.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy