DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
3 members and 553 guests
2blueyam, amit, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
07 GSXR 750---randomly shuts off??? Any ideas?
Unread
  (#1)
Lets Ride!!!

07 GSXR 750---randomly shuts off??? Any ideas? - May 5, 2009, 09:06 PM

I have posted this on the gsxr forums thinking more people would have some ideas, but I have yet to recieve a solid response so I am hoping I might get one here.

Bike: 2007 GSXR 750

Miles: 15K

Problem: I am going down the street at cruising speed (so no wide open throttle or anything) and it bogs down and cuts off. The electric does not go out. It feels exactly how a car feels when you have a backed up catalytic converter and you try to give it gas (if in fact you know what that feels like---us veedubbers certainly do). The crazy thing is that when I get it back into neutral and fire it up, it runs just fine. No FI light or anything.

As suggested on the GSXR forums, I have checked the PCIII connections at the injectors and the soldering at the TPS and everything is fine.

Any thoughts???

Go Hokies!!!

2007 GSXR 750 Black/Midnight Blue - sold
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG

May 5, 2009, 09:36 PM

could your kickstand switch be turning on? in gear this would cause your bike to shutoff but would start again fine in neutral, just an idea, check that your kickstand isn't loose or the switch isn't sticking
Unread
  (#3)
Lets Ride!!!

May 6, 2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrownw View Post
could your kickstand switch be turning on? in gear this would cause your bike to shutoff but would start again fine in neutral, just an idea, check that your kickstand isn't loose or the switch isn't sticking
Thanks for the advice. I will check it out tomorrow. I definately wouldn't have thought of that.

Go Hokies!!!

Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

May 6, 2009, 05:19 AM

check wires from ignitors possibly, if its firing in neutral try to bypass the kickstand sensor.
Unread
  (#5)
The last urrbendah

May 6, 2009, 06:52 AM

Let's start with something simple before bypassing sensors and stuff. Remove the PCIII and see what happens.

If it still does it, try the kickstand switch.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#6)
MSF Student

May 6, 2009, 07:02 AM

it sounds like fuel starvation - gas tank not venting properly creating a vaccuum, maybe weak fuel pump or electrical to the pump

Last edited by 2wheelidiot; May 6, 2009 at 07:05 AM..
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

May 6, 2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelidiot View Post
it sounds like fuel starvation - gas tank not venting properly creating a vaccuum, maybe weak fuel pump or electrical to the pump
Fuel starvation would cause the bike to run rough before shutting off. Disconnect the power commander and go from there. Its alot more likely that it has failed than the side stand switch but if the power commander checks out then the side stand switch would be the next thing I would check.
Unread
  (#8)
Has an idiot exemption

May 6, 2009, 08:18 AM

My 1000 had the same symptoms.
Turned out to be a bad ECU.
But check the easy/cheap stuff first.

Steve

2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2008 Honda CRF 450R
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#9)
TPG - screw face

May 6, 2009, 08:33 AM

i like the kickstand idea. my 99 600 used to do the samething.

are you backfiring at all? prolly not with the PCIII - but when my kickstand would drop down a lil from normal vibrations, just before it would bog, it would backfire like a summabitch - that's how i knew to give the kickstand a tap and all was well I think a new spring was $3
Unread
  (#10)
unapologetic

May 6, 2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Let's start with something simple before bypassing sensors and stuff. Remove the PCIII and see what happens.

If it still does it, try the kickstand switch.
+1. Dynojet PowerCommander is probably the culprit. Remove from loop, go through restart for the bike and see what happens.

......then find an EMPro box for sale. Purchase and install. Use PCIII for new paperweight at the office.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#11)
The last urrbendah

May 6, 2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9 View Post
My 1000 had the same symptoms.
Turned out to be a bad ECU.
But check the easy/cheap stuff first.
That's an easy one to check to. Find someone with the same bike and swap the ECU.

I forgot to mention that my old 750 did this exact same thing and it turned out to be the Power Commander. Turning it off/on again just recycled the system and cleared whatever error was shutting it down.

Fuel starvation issue would not be cleared by system cycle. I also have doubts about the switches causing a bog. Most safety switches kill the motor instantly with no hesitation. I can't see any of them doing this unless there was a short or something.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.

Last edited by Stillie; May 6, 2009 at 08:59 AM..
Unread
  (#12)
Life Begins at 150

May 6, 2009, 08:53 AM

Does it need to be switched on and off to restart? If it does, check the tip over switch mounting.

RnR Cycles
45700 Woodland Rd, #160
Sterling VA 20166
703-433-9195
571-277-0892
www.RnRCycles.com
Unread
  (#13)
Lets Ride!!!

May 6, 2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr View Post
Does it need to be switched on and off to restart? If it does, check the tip over switch mounting.
No all I have to do is get it back to neutral. I am going to take the PCIII off this weekend to see if that helps, but then I will have the issue the bike not running well because of the exhaust and filter on stock maps. I will have to look into the empro. Thanks all!

Go Hokies!!!

Unread
  (#14)
Signed up for Track Days!

May 6, 2009, 01:06 PM

My 2006 GSX-R600 does the exact same thing... it only happens occassionally, usually on the street.. you are tooling along just riding at a slow, even pace.. and it just dies... no warning, no indicator lights, just dies... I just pull in the clutch, hit the starter, let out the clutch and keep on moving.. it NEVER happens when at 40% or greater throttle... weird... I guess it could be the PCIII, since it never did it when it was not on there, but to be fair, the PCIII has been on since 700 miles...

Oh well, I guess I will have to see if anyone else comes up with a solution...

You don't always get slower as you get older
Unread
  (#15)
Lets Ride!!!

May 6, 2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrod68 View Post
My 2006 GSX-R600 does the exact same thing... it only happens occassionally, usually on the street.. you are tooling along just riding at a slow, even pace.. and it just dies... no warning, no indicator lights, just dies... I just pull in the clutch, hit the starter, let out the clutch and keep on moving.. it NEVER happens when at 40% or greater throttle... weird... I guess it could be the PCIII, since it never did it when it was not on there, but to be fair, the PCIII has been on since 700 miles...

Oh well, I guess I will have to see if anyone else comes up with a solution...

That is my exact problem! I have had my PCIII on since about 2000 miles. I took it off today so I guess the only way to know if it works is if it doesn't cut off, but since it was so random with no warning, I am not sure how I will know for sure.

Go Hokies!!!