DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 209
5 members and 204 guests
nootherids, R6SP, RRonin, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
2000 929rr, Smart or Stupid?
Unread
  (#1)
VTMC Rider
 
MegaTorch7's Avatar
 
Posts: 461
Join Date: August 31, 2007
Location: Richmond
2000 929rr, Smart or Stupid? - September 12, 2012, 09:41 AM

**Massive Rant Comming, Cliff notes at the bottom**

So about 45 days ago I dropped my bike off at a shop here in Richmond. (I am quite upset I'm not still in NoVA or it would have went straight to RnR). The reason I took it in. That day the battery was suuuper dead (I broke my right forearm completely in half 11/11 playing football so no riding for a while). I jumped the bike with my car (key off of course). It turned and ran, as soon as I removed the cables it died. So I repeated the process, let it run longer in hopes of getting the battery a little charge at least, same end result. So at this point I call a friend, let him know whats going on. I was thinking alternator, he said that or the regulator/stator.

At this point I say eFF it, Im good with cars but I put my life on line everytime I ride so I will let a pro look at it. These guys have had this thing forever. They never call me, I always have to call them asking for status updates. They tell me, "Well your battery was completely dead" I know this, I told you all about my arm. Getting a tender was really on the top of my priority list at the time. I call again and again "Well it wont run for us on the jumpers" Really wtf? it did for me. "We think you're not getting a spark" I ask about the regulator/stator/alternator. "It is none of those we are tracing your wires now". Again I call back "We are pretty sure that it is your ECU but we dont have one to test". At this point I am furious it has been a month. "There is one on ebay for $500 with 30 day return we can buy for you?" I check ebay, I find the ecu they are talking about... listed for $350. Like really you need $150 markup for searchin ebay please tell me how valuable your 5 minutes really are? Finally today I go on ebay and say eff it. There is one for sale for $300 with 14 day returns and 20% restocking Fee. I went ahead bit the bullet and bought it. Am I smart or stupid in this situation?



**Cliff Notes**

1) 45 days ago I dropped my bike off at a shop in Richmond
2) Bike Ran on Jumpers, Died when removed
3) Recieve run around from the shop
4) Shop states not Alternator/Regulator/Stator issue
5) Shop Quotes me $500 ebay ECU, actual listing $350
6) Today I get fed up and buy an ECU for $300, 14 day return policy 20% restocking
00-01 Honda CBR 929 CDI Box ECU Box | eBay

Now am I smart or stupid?


Riding is good for the soul
- Honda CBR 929rr
- Ducati 1198s
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to MegaTorch7 Send a message via AIM to MegaTorch7  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
whoa preppy......
 
Scot's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,064
Join Date: May 19, 2005
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
September 12, 2012, 09:58 AM

stupid. Parts replacement is never good diagnostics. Find another shop and let them check it out. A bad ECU wouldn't run on jumpers or off jumpers.


2016 Concours 1400
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
whoa preppy......
 
Scot's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,064
Join Date: May 19, 2005
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
September 12, 2012, 10:00 AM

and you said it yourself. Battery is super dead. You're going to have replace it anyway. Why not start there?


2016 Concours 1400
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
opossum puncher
 
zx6rfool's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,825
Join Date: June 9, 2003
Location: Winchester
September 12, 2012, 10:04 AM

^ Exactly, sounds like you might just have a dead battery.


-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ
 
Posts: 2,038
Join Date: January 22, 2009
Location: Swanton, MD
September 12, 2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTorch7 View Post
**Massive Rant Comming, Cliff notes at the bottom**

So about 45 days ago I dropped my bike off at a shop here in Richmond. (I am quite upset I'm not still in NoVA or it would have went straight to RnR). The reason I took it in. That day the battery was suuuper dead (I broke my right forearm completely in half 11/11 playing football so no riding for a while). I jumped the bike with my car (key off of course). It turned and ran, as soon as I removed the cables it died. So I repeated the process, let it run longer in hopes of getting the battery a little charge at least, same end result. So at this point I call a friend, let him know whats going on. I was thinking alternator, he said that or the regulator/stator.

At this point I say eFF it, Im good with cars but I put my life on line everytime I ride so I will let a pro look at it. These guys have had this thing forever. They never call me, I always have to call them asking for status updates. They tell me, "Well your battery was completely dead" I know this, I told you all about my arm. Getting a tender was really on the top of my priority list at the time. I call again and again "Well it wont run for us on the jumpers" Really wtf? it did for me. "We think you're not getting a spark" I ask about the regulator/stator/alternator. "It is none of those we are tracing your wires now". Again I call back "We are pretty sure that it is your ECU but we dont have one to test". At this point I am furious it has been a month. "There is one on ebay for $500 with 30 day return we can buy for you?" I check ebay, I find the ecu they are talking about... listed for $350. Like really you need $150 markup for searchin ebay please tell me how valuable your 5 minutes really are? Finally today I go on ebay and say eff it. There is one for sale for $300 with 14 day returns and 20% restocking Fee. I went ahead bit the bullet and bought it. Am I smart or stupid in this situation?



**Cliff Notes**

1) 45 days ago I dropped my bike off at a shop in Richmond
2) Bike Ran on Jumpers, Died when removed
3) Recieve run around from the shop
4) Shop states not Alternator/Regulator/Stator issue
5) Shop Quotes me $500 ebay ECU, actual listing $350
6) Today I get fed up and buy an ECU for $300, 14 day return policy 20% restocking
00-01 Honda CBR 929 CDI Box ECU Box | eBay

Now am I smart or stupid?
You need to go pick the bike up IMMEDIATELY. The reason the bike died when the cables were removed is because the bike has what's known as a DC CDI. Basically the power the bike uses to provide ignition spark is derived straight from the battery. So when you have a dead battery and a bad charging system you will have no spark which is why your bike died when the battery cables were removed. If you would've charged the battery and reconnected it the bike would've run till the battery voltage dropped below around 9-10 volts and then it would've died again. I'm betting the shop has very little electrical knowledge, you can usually figure that out pretty quickly when they start talking about the ECU being bad lol..... I've been doing this for 12 years and have maybe had 6 or 7 actual bad ECUs.

If you have any mechanical knowledge at all I can talk you through properly diagnosing your issue. Let me know if I can help.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ
 
Leoallafila's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,479
Join Date: December 15, 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
September 12, 2012, 10:07 AM

Wow...

I need to open a shop...


2011 Ducati Diavel Chromo (Current)
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Current)
2006 BMW R1200ST
2003 BMW K1200GT (Current)
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition (Current)
1997 Aprilia RS250
1998 BMW K1200RS
2000 Ducati 998
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 Ducati 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2008 Mobster Lefty Trophy pitbike
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ
 
Posts: 2,038
Join Date: January 22, 2009
Location: Swanton, MD
September 12, 2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
stupid. Parts replacement is never good diagnostics. Find another shop and let them check it out. A bad ECU wouldn't run on jumpers or off jumpers.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
and you said it yourself. Battery is super dead. You're going to have replace it anyway. Why not start there?
Step one in electrical diagnosis is check battery condition! Step two is when in doubt replace it.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
VTMC Rider
 
MegaTorch7's Avatar
 
Posts: 461
Join Date: August 31, 2007
Location: Richmond
September 12, 2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
You need to go pick the bike up IMMEDIATELY. The reason the bike died when the cables were removed is because the bike has what's known as a DC CDI. Basically the power the bike uses to provide ignition spark is derived straight from the battery. So when you have a dead battery and a bad charging system you will have no spark which is why your bike died when the battery cables were removed. If you would've charged the battery and reconnected it the bike would've run till the battery voltage dropped below around 9-10 volts and then it would've died again. I'm betting the shop has very little electrical knowledge, you can usually figure that out pretty quickly when they start talking about the ECU being bad lol..... I've been doing this for 12 years and have maybe had 6 or 7 actual bad ECUs.

If you have any mechanical knowledge at all I can talk you through properly diagnosing your issue. Let me know if I can help.

Those MFers, I don't know why I went with their diagnosis. I was just pissed for waiting, it took me 9 months to feel like my arm was physically fit enought to ride. I waited until it felt 100% and I was fully done with PT about 5 months ago. I JUST WANT TO RIDE AGAIN!!

The Battery is still under warranty, cells may be bad from not being charged. It is a lame trick but I will snag the battery from them tonight and get advance auto to replace it for free.

**on a side note, they did state that they used a shop battery in the bike and that did not work, as well as their own jump box...


Riding is good for the soul
- Honda CBR 929rr
- Ducati 1198s
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to MegaTorch7 Send a message via AIM to MegaTorch7  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
Stop light racer...
 
pnbell's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,245
Join Date: May 30, 2012
Location: A Fjord in Norway
September 12, 2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoallafila View Post
Wow...

I need to open a shop...
+1

I'd agree to getting the bike back; .Net will diagnose it for you for free!


- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
whoa preppy......
 
Scot's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,064
Join Date: May 19, 2005
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
September 12, 2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTorch7 View Post
The Battery is still under warranty, cells may be bad from not being charged. It is a lame trick but I will snag the battery from them tonight and get advance auto to replace it for free.

**on a side note, they did state that they used a shop battery in the bike and that did not work, as well as their own jump box...

I've had bad luck with low end batteries like the ones sold for motorcycles by Advance Auto, Pep Boys, and Batteries Plus.

I will only buy Yuasa if I can.


2016 Concours 1400
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
i suck at the introweb
 
short_mike's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,322
Join Date: April 29, 2009
Location: Nap Town, MD
September 12, 2012, 10:50 AM

few things:

1) check the battery yourself
2) ask for help here first
3) got to be careful with the 929 ecu's as they came off different assembly lines, and some how came with different ecu's. If you don't have the exact ecu for your bike code it will not work. I love the 929s, 954s, rc51s in fact just sold my 929 this year, only down fall was the ecu when they go bad they have no error codes to read on it basically becomes "a ghost in the machine". I replaced my whole wiring system before changing the ecu, cause my bike kept acting like it had a short somewhere, since no error codes would come up ecu came back reading as normal. Then took me 3 months to track down an exact matching ecu cause new it was $1300.


Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#12)
i suck at the introweb
 
short_mike's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,322
Join Date: April 29, 2009
Location: Nap Town, MD
September 12, 2012, 10:52 AM

also get rid of those cheap batteries. i will check when i get home of where i order my batteries from. great prices and great people to deal with and super fast shipping.


Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#13)
VTMC Rider
 
MegaTorch7's Avatar
 
Posts: 461
Join Date: August 31, 2007
Location: Richmond
September 12, 2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
I've had bad luck with low end batteries like the ones sold for motorcycles by Advance Auto, Pep Boys, and Batteries Plus.

I will only buy Yuasa if I can.
Previous owner ran a smaller than recommended batter for "weight savings" he said. That thing lasted forever and always started even in the cold of blacksburg winter. I have it back to the recommended size battery now. The bike really is rock solid save for this instance and once sensor I had to replace. It is the reason I haven't gotten something newer. No Payments too


Riding is good for the soul
- Honda CBR 929rr
- Ducati 1198s
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to MegaTorch7 Send a message via AIM to MegaTorch7  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#14)
VTMC Rider
 
MegaTorch7's Avatar
 
Posts: 461
Join Date: August 31, 2007
Location: Richmond
September 12, 2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by short_mike View Post
few things:

1) check the battery yourself
2) ask for help here first
3) got to be careful with the 929 ecu's as they came off different assembly lines, and some how came with different ecu's. If you don't have the exact ecu for your bike code it will not work. I love the 929s, 954s, rc51s in fact just sold my 929 this year, only down fall was the ecu when they go bad they have no error codes to read on it basically becomes "a ghost in the machine". I replaced my whole wiring system before changing the ecu, cause my bike kept acting like it had a short somewhere, since no error codes would come up ecu came back reading as normal. Then took me 3 months to track down an exact matching ecu cause new it was $1300.
Whoa, how will I know if I have a matching unit?


Riding is good for the soul
- Honda CBR 929rr
- Ducati 1198s
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to MegaTorch7 Send a message via AIM to MegaTorch7  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#15)
VTMC Rider
 
MegaTorch7's Avatar
 
Posts: 461
Join Date: August 31, 2007
Location: Richmond
September 12, 2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by short_mike View Post
also get rid of those cheap batteries. i will check when i get home of where i order my batteries from. great prices and great people to deal with and super fast shipping.

Alright, let me know.

Thanks for the info btw.


Riding is good for the soul
- Honda CBR 929rr
- Ducati 1198s
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to MegaTorch7 Send a message via AIM to MegaTorch7  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.