DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 496
2 members and 494 guests
GRN96WS6, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
2000 R1 Electrical Issue
Unread
  (#1)
*insert unique title*

2000 R1 Electrical Issue - July 21, 2014, 10:31 AM

Yesterday while riding to work, I noticed the numbers on my instrument cluster (speed, clock, odometer, etc) would flash intermittently, almost at the same pace a my turn signals. The problem stopped without having to turn off the bike. The issue happened again on the way home, but corrected itself once more. Bike performance during those times never faulted.

This morning while riding to work I noticed the overall illumination of the cluster is pulsating with my signals and eventually the display flashes on and off with my display. I turn off signals and the display stays on. I'm thinking to myself, "must be a loose wire or something". A few minutes later the whole display starts going haywire, and eventually shuts off. Tachometer is still working, but I'm riding with no gauge of speed. Then the bike starts to lose power and eventually shuts off, forcing me to pull over on the side of I-95.

I try to restart and it won't crank over. I call my buddy, he comes out with jumper cables and I jump start my bike from his 600RR. The bike won't stay on more than a few moments though before cutting off. We had to jump it multiple times as we leap frogged down 95 til we could get off and to a parking lot.

I'm assuming it's either the battery, rectifier, or stator. I bought the bike about 3 weeks ago and the guy informed me that he had replaced the battery and stator (as the bike had been sitting a long time). Battery looks new, have no evidence as to otherwise regarding the stator.

Any suggestions? Tips on how to proceed. I'm not trying to get ripped off at a local dealership for all the "labor".

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

"De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 21, 2014, 11:19 AM

check the stator output with a multimeter

#1 Machine: Open Class Suzuki GS500K2 / Bridgestone package
#2 Machine: Factory Suzuki GSXR600K6 / Bridgestone package - Garage queen
Unread
  (#3)
Track Day addict

July 21, 2014, 11:24 AM

The gauges on the 2001 FZ1 acted up when the battery was weak, so you may have a bad battery or it isn't charging. Most battery places will test the battery for you.

Dale - 2004 SV 650 track, 2003 R1 track, 2007 Tuono
Unread
  (#4)
*insert unique title*

July 21, 2014, 02:10 PM

I'm hoping it's something simple. I've taken the battery out, and will be taking it to be tested/re-charged today. I'm also going to get a digital multimeter; my analog one doesn't have a diode setting, so I haven't been able to test the rectifier.

Thanks for the tips guys. Fingers crossed it can be quickly/affordably replaced.

"De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"