DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 553
2 members and 551 guests
2blueyam, boomboom929
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
2000 R6... 2 cylinder =[
Unread
  (#1)
Old rider, new member

2000 R6... 2 cylinder =[ - April 16, 2009, 05:39 AM

Okay so some of you know I laid her down last fall so I got the body work and engine cover and all that. I started working on it a while ago and went to synch the carbs and I realized that it's only running on 2 cylinders.
I actually think this contributed to my accident because the day I went to go ride I noticed that it sounded funny and it was having trouble idling so I had the choke partially on and it seemed to do okay that way.

Anyway, long story short I am a mechanic but my experience on this machine is limited and I don't know the "odd" things that can crop up on them. This bike has been trouble free since I bought it and it only has about 10k on the clock. I have thoroughly tested the ignition system and gone through all the carbs. I checked the floats, the fuel level, and the pump is working and the filter is not plugged. I did several ignition system tests including swapping the plugs and coils around in an effort to move the misfire but it still stays on the outside cylinders (1 and 4).
I noticed in the service manual that 1 and 4 are electrically connected but I have tested the wires, swapped the coils and plugs, and even plugged in a new ignition box that I got off ebay and it still runs the same.
It is only running on cylinders 2 and 3.

I did several compression tests and the compression is perfect accross the board. I removed the valve cover and did a visual on the cams, buckets, and checked the timing and it is dead on.

I don't have a problem tearing this thing down to the last bolt but I'm not going to do anything until I have an idea what I am going after.

I want to know a couple things:
1. Has anyone had this issue before and what did it take to get it running again?
2. If there is a bike mechanic on here, what should I be looking for based on your experience?

I'm no slouch on cars, I have been working for GM for over a decade and usually this kind of thing is a cake walk for me on a car engine but like I said a lack of experience with this particular beast is my enemy. I mean I have people that drive 800 miles for me to work on their cars because I have a reputation as one of the best but I'll be darned if this little thing is going to kick my butt...

I spent over $2,000 on gear and body work to get this thing going for this season and if I can't get it running I am going to end up on meds for depression so even if your advice sucks... I'll take it!
Thanks to all who even bother to try to help.

Oh and I need to find some mercury for my manometer.... don't ask!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to EWill3rd  
Unread
  (#2)
Say Jur Oh

April 16, 2009, 07:45 AM

I know you've swapped coils, tested wires, new igntion box, and swapped plugs... but have you actually tested for spark on cylinders 1 and 4 ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

April 16, 2009, 06:22 PM

Seijirou is right you need to make sure the out side plugs are not firing. You can use an inline spark tester and actually start the bike and watch to see if the plugs are firing.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Has an idiot exemption

April 16, 2009, 06:29 PM

Did it sit for awhile without running?

Steve

2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2008 Honda CRF 450R
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#5)
BOOOORING

April 16, 2009, 07:04 PM

have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

Cornerspeed Riders School & Cornerspin School-"Roadracing in the Dirt"
Unread
  (#6)
Old rider, new member

April 16, 2009, 07:50 PM

I did use an inline spark tester, actually 2 different kinds of spark tester, all the tests I did indicate I have good spark on 1 and 4. I tried swapping the 2-3 coils with the 1-4 coils too and the problem stayed on the same cyilnders. Swapped plugs too even.

Yes it has sat quite a bit since I moved here but I have never had issues with this bike like I do with my wife's KLR 250. I have to yank the carb off that and clean the jets every time I ride it. I checked the fuel filter, pump, lines, jets, bowls, seats, and sliders in the carbs and no signs of anything. I have taken them off 3 times.

I did a compression test, got about 100psi (close) on all 4 with about 4 puffs each.

I grabbed a new set of spark plugs today at the bike shop, going to put them in and re-evaluate. I'll let everyone know.
Thanks for all the tips so far, it is genuinely appreciated!

No I have not been in a Turkish prison, but I have been to Russia. I have to go there again next month Actually.... twice... long story.
Unread
  (#7)
Say Jur Oh

April 16, 2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWill3rd View Post
I did use an inline spark tester, actually 2 different kinds of spark tester, all the tests I did indicate I have good spark on 1 and 4. I tried swapping the 2-3 coils with the 1-4 coils too and the problem stayed on the same cyilnders. Swapped plugs too even.

Yes it has sat quite a bit since I moved here but I have never had issues with this bike like I do with my wife's KLR 250. I have to yank the carb off that and clean the jets every time I ride it. I checked the fuel filter, pump, lines, jets, bowls, seats, and sliders in the carbs and no signs of anything. I have taken them off 3 times.

I did a compression test, got about 100psi (close) on all 4 with about 4 puffs each.

I grabbed a new set of spark plugs today at the bike shop, going to put them in and re-evaluate. I'll let everyone know.
Thanks for all the tips so far, it is genuinely appreciated!

No I have not been in a Turkish prison, but I have been to Russia. I have to go there again next month Actually.... twice... long story.

For me personally, there is no substitute for taking the plug out, grounding it's body, and watching it spark.

But, if you feel pretty confident that you have spark on 1 & 4... A question that comes to mind that i'm 99% sure I already know the answer to, does your bike use a wasted spark configuration? Meaning you get spark on compression and exhaust strokes?

It probably does but if not, you may have wires 1 and 4 mixed up, so that you're getting spark only on the exhaust strokes. You may also coincidentally have arcing on 1 and 4 at the same time so that the spark is grounding out somewhere other than the plug. Running the bike in the dark would expose this as flashes.

If you have spark, at the right time, and you've already tested that you have compression, the only thing left is fuel. You should be able to run the bike on 2 cylinders, and then quickly spray some starting fluid/gum cutter through the intake and hear the engine "clean up" as it fires on all 4 briefly. That would confirm a fueling issue.

Quote:
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
Unread
  (#8)
Old rider, new member

April 18, 2009, 03:26 PM

Okay so the plugs make it better, turns out it is not completely misfiring on 1-4 but at idle they aren't enough to keep it running as 2-3 are.

This has coil over plug ignition so mixing wires is not an issue. The connectors for the coils are marked. They are wired in series so it is a waste spark system because they both fire at once.
I have to find a manometer because my mercury is gone in this one. I don't want to spend the $$$ on a new digital one so I'll have to check my options. At this point I have resigned myself to just start putting it back together and possibly flush out the fuel system and put in fresh gas, tweak everything and see if I can get it running right.
Who knows... once I get it on the road it might just start running like it is supposed to.

I'm pretty stressed about this whole deal.
I can't give up though!
Unread
  (#9)
Say Jur Oh

April 18, 2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWill3rd View Post
Okay so the plugs make it better, turns out it is not completely misfiring on 1-4 but at idle they aren't enough to keep it running as 2-3 are.

This has coil over plug ignition so mixing wires is not an issue. The connectors for the coils are marked. They are wired in series so it is a waste spark system because they both fire at once.
I have to find a manometer because my mercury is gone in this one. I don't want to spend the $$$ on a new digital one so I'll have to check my options. At this point I have resigned myself to just start putting it back together and possibly flush out the fuel system and put in fresh gas, tweak everything and see if I can get it running right.
Who knows... once I get it on the road it might just start running like it is supposed to.

I'm pretty stressed about this whole deal.
I can't give up though!
Based on your description I think understand you to mean that you're getting spark on 1 & 4 but it's weak, is that right?

Check out page 345 of this manual.

It doesn't look to me that 1 & 4 are in series with each other actually but that could be a mistake on the labeling in the diagram.

What is your voltage at the 2nd coil in the series? If you have resistance somewhere and a voltage drop, that would drop the voltage significantly on the secondary coil.

I also wonder if the pickup coil/rotor isn't tip top... but those usually work or they don't. Dwell comes to mind but I don't think that's a possible problem with your rig...

still scratching my head for you...

Quote:
Quote:

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
Unread
  (#10)
Has an idiot exemption

April 18, 2009, 04:48 PM

I'm gonna vote carbs.
If it was running before you parked it it's highly unlikely (but not impossible) that the ignition suddenly failed.
There is a much better chance that the old gas plugged up some pilot/idle jets.
I'd focus on those first before chasing ignition issues.

Steve

2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2008 Honda CRF 450R
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#11)
Say Jur Oh

April 18, 2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9 View Post
I'm gonna vote carbs.
If it was running before you parked it it's highly unlikely (but not impossible) that the ignition suddenly failed.
There is a much better chance that the old gas plugged up some pilot/idle jets.
I'd focus on those first before chasing ignition issues.

I am inclined to agree if the carbs have not been 100% gone through.

Quote:
Quote:

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
Unread
  (#12)
Old rider, new member

April 24, 2009, 07:06 AM

I know I am moving at a snails pace on this, sorry for that.
I got a new manometer to dial in the carbs and I am going to put new fuel in it today or tomorrow.
I'll post what I find.

I have really gone through these carbs pretty good.
I am sure that I have eliminated the ignition system as a culprit here.

I noticed the other day that if I held the rpms up and disconnected the 2-3 coil circuit that it would stay running.
I am pretty sure that changing the gas and resynching the carbs will take care of my issue but who knows?

If this fails, I think I'll pull the carbs off one more time and maybe disassemble all of them? I had the bowls off of all of them and saw nothing, I mean nothing... they look beautiful. As I said I removed all the jets and checked them, then blew out all the passages.

Thanks for the help thus far!
Unread
  (#13)
Street Bonk Bum.....

April 24, 2009, 07:10 AM

you could always just buy my 04 r6 i am selling think of it as a upgrade....its even yamaha blue so you wouldnt even miss ur 2000

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#14)
What failure looks like

April 24, 2009, 08:07 AM

I had the exact same issue with my '02 when it sat for a while. The carbs gunked up and I had the same issue with running on 2 cyl. Once I cleaned her up and replaced she ran good as new.

'04 600RR - Street
'07 GSX-R 750 - Track only now
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced

Last edited by nrcooled; April 24, 2009 at 08:09 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to nrcooled  
Unread
  (#15)
Old rider, new member

April 25, 2009, 03:16 PM

I Put it all back together with fresh fuel, resynched the carbs and I added some stuff to the tank.
I am going to try to take it out and ride it asap and see if this stuff cleans it out.
I think it is a partially clogged jet. If it keeps running bad what is the best way to deal with this, soak them in something or replace them?

Tags
2000, engine, miss