DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 531
1 members and 530 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
2000 R6 leaking....help
Unread
  (#1)
Nice & Smooth
 
prkid424's Avatar
 
Posts: 221
Join Date: July 29, 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
2000 R6 leaking....help - June 26, 2007, 09:23 AM

Like the title says my R6 is leaking, but I have no idea what it is leaking or where from. Some facts:
  • The bike does not leak when parked, meaning I don't come out in the mornings or after work with a puddle of fluid under the bike.
  • The leak only occurs when the bike is moving, not sure if when under acceleration or just when its turned on.
  • The leak is coming ONLY from the left side. The reason I know this is that the top of my left shoe is always "shiny" by the time I get to work, and when I get home. My pants do NOT get any of the fluid on them
  • The bike has not been laid down or anything out of the ordinary happen to it to cause anything to crack or break (meaning coolant reservoir or engine cover)
My thought is that maybe some of the coolant is leaking, since this would evaporate while parked in the lot during the day and in my parking spot at night. I am not sure what other fluids flow through the left hand side of the bike. I can see that one of the hoses connecting to the reservoir is a bit saturated when I'm done riding, but like I said with my foot on the peg, only the top of the shoe, not the pants, gets fluid.

Any suggestions/help.

Thanks
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to prkid424  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9,771
Join Date: October 4, 2002
Location: NoVA
June 26, 2007, 09:31 AM

most likely coolant...double check all the hose clamps.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
Nothing here
 
Madali's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,108
Join Date: February 20, 2003
Location: Potomac Station Leesburg
June 26, 2007, 09:34 AM

So I take it you are running Water Wetter or equivelant? This assumption is based on your statement that it would evaporate.

Check your brake lines at the banjo fittings.

Does the shoe smell like anything other than your nasty foot? Is it a petroleum smell?

Help us help you.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
Nothing here
 
Madali's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,108
Join Date: February 20, 2003
Location: Potomac Station Leesburg
June 26, 2007, 09:48 AM

Also, look for an accumulation of dust sticking to whatever is leaking. Coolant hoses, forks (seals go bad), brake lines, etc.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
Nice & Smooth
 
prkid424's Avatar
 
Posts: 221
Join Date: July 29, 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
June 26, 2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madali
So I take it you are running Water Wetter or equivelant? This assumption is based on your statement that it would evaporate.

Check your brake lines at the banjo fittings.

Does the shoe smell like anything other than your nasty foot? Is it a petroleum smell?

Help us help you.
Just running regular motorcycle coolant- I was assuming that that stuff woudl evaporate. Brake lines run throgh the right hand side dont they..the front ones goes right to the right handlebar from the calipers and the rear run on the right.

No oil or gas smells...from the shoe.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to prkid424  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
Republicans for Voldemort
 
hondahawkrider's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,303
Join Date: July 1, 2003
Location: Laurel
June 26, 2007, 10:04 AM

have you checked your brake / clutch fluid reserviors - and monitor the levels...

If the bike doesn't drip when you let it run while stationary - I would suspect it's one of those two items as they wont be engaged at the time... just my guess. Regular coolant would be more slimy to the touch...


-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
Nothing here
 
Madali's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,108
Join Date: February 20, 2003
Location: Potomac Station Leesburg
June 26, 2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkid424
Just running regular motorcycle coolant- I was assuming that that stuff woudl evaporate. Brake lines run throgh the right hand side dont they..the front ones goes right to the right handlebar from the calipers and the rear run on the right.

No oil or gas smells...from the shoe.
True on the right side for brake lines resevoir and controls, but don't you have dual front discs? Or did you convert to a single front disc? If not then check the fitting near the left front disc and follow the line up. It could drip from there.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
Retired to most ...
 
JohnnySpeed1KRR's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,646
Join Date: May 17, 2005
Location: NoVa
June 26, 2007, 11:26 AM

What makes you say it only happens when the bike is moving? Dos the leaked fluid have ANY color to it?


God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
Nice & Smooth
 
prkid424's Avatar
 
Posts: 221
Join Date: July 29, 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
June 27, 2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySpeed954
What makes you say it only happens when the bike is moving? Dos the leaked fluid have ANY color to it?
I am only assuming that it is happening when the bike is moving becasue there are not spills where I park the bike and I let it warm up for like 7-10 minutes every AM and still no spills on the pavement. I can't really tell if the fluid has any color...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to prkid424  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
PewPew
 
NoVaGhost's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,858
Join Date: April 29, 2006
Location: A Boat
June 27, 2007, 10:04 AM

My guess would be a leak in the coolant system, the pressure that builds when you run the bike is causing it to leak while running. I had an similar issue with my TL1000R. Turn the bike on, it would warm up to running temp and coolant would leak out. I'd get the seal for your radiator cap checked along with all the hose lines.

EDIT: Is it a heavy leak? If it's loosing a fair amount of this unknown liquid then you could also mark your coolant resivor and keep checking to see if it drops. The coolant should have a color to it though..


R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"



Last edited by NoVaGhost; June 27, 2007 at 10:06 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
Nice & Smooth
 
prkid424's Avatar
 
Posts: 221
Join Date: July 29, 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
June 27, 2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaGhost
My guess would be a leak in the coolant system, the pressure that builds when you run the bike is causing it to leak while running. I had an similar issue with my TL1000R. Turn the bike on, it would warm up to running temp and coolant would leak out. I'd get the seal for your radiator cap checked along with all the hose lines.

EDIT: Is it a heavy leak? If it's loosing a fair amount of this unknown liquid then you could also mark your coolant resivor and keep checking to see if it drops. The coolant should have a color to it though..
Your thoughts and my thoughts parallel. I am taking off all the fairing today in the afternoon to see if I can track down the leak. But my gut feel is the coolant hoses or radiator cap. Leak is not very heavy at all as the bike is not running hot, nor I see a visible drop in fluid (coolant oil, brak)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to prkid424  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#12)
PewPew
 
NoVaGhost's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,858
Join Date: April 29, 2006
Location: A Boat
June 27, 2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkid424
Your thoughts and my thoughts parallel. I am taking off all the fairing today in the afternoon to see if I can track down the leak. But my gut feel is the coolant hoses or radiator cap. Leak is not very heavy at all as the bike is not running hot, nor I see a visible drop in fluid (coolant oil, brak)
good man, trouble shooting it yourself!

on a more serious note, that's exactly the right course of action for now. Just focus on one system at a time and go down the list ( I weight my suspicions on the coolant however )

If that yeilds not favorable results I'd move on to the brake lines.

Also, what side is the leak comming from? I know you said it was leaking on your shoe / boot but I didn't see if you sid what side.


R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"


  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#13)
Nice & Smooth
 
prkid424's Avatar
 
Posts: 221
Join Date: July 29, 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
June 27, 2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaGhost
good man, trouble shooting it yourself!

on a more serious note, that's exactly the right course of action for now. Just focus on one system at a time and go down the list ( I weight my suspicions on the coolant however )

If that yeilds not favorable results I'd move on to the brake lines.

Also, what side is the leak comming from? I know you said it was leaking on your shoe / boot but I didn't see if you sid what side.
3rd bullet first post...left shoe. That is why i dont think its oil or brake fluild. All that is on the right hand side. All that is on the left is the coolant and the fuel overflow line, and its not fuel its leaking
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to prkid424  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#14)
Ling Long
 
YaoMatt's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,183
Join Date: June 13, 2006
June 27, 2007, 10:37 AM

My guess would be coolant.
Also, your overflow is on the left side of the Yamaha.


U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#15)
PewPew
 
NoVaGhost's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,858
Join Date: April 29, 2006
Location: A Boat
June 27, 2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMatt
My guess would be coolant.
Also, your overflow is on the left side of the Yamaha.
+1 I agree about the coolant, almost certain. Most likely a line, I believe the radiator cap is on the right side so doubt it's the cap seal.

Good luck with your leak hunt, man. keep us updated.


R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"


  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.