DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 484
0 members and 484 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
2001 Honda 929 Suspension Question
Unread
  (#1)
Bleeds Kawi green

2001 Honda 929 Suspension Question - March 15, 2013, 06:46 PM

Against my warnings, a friend of mine asked me to stretch and install a 2"-4" drop on his bike. In addition to a PC III.

It's all done, and I took the bike for a test ride, but the front REALLY dives pretty easy. Normally I would set the SAG on the bike like we do all of our groups bikes, but there is no way i'm going to get the numbers we normally use on this bike. The rear is so soft i'm going to have to adjust the pre-load to full just so the thing doesn't bounce up and down on him. We brought the fork tubes up through the triple tree by about an inch so the bike wasn't all whopper-jawed (tech term) and I think that this is what is causing the dives when cornering.

Other than returning the bike to OEM settings, any suggestions or advice to get this to ride decently and be safe for him on the road?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

March 15, 2013, 07:54 PM

News at 11, stretched/slammed bikes ride like shit

I don't think there's much you can do other than unfucking the fuckery that your friend has fucked his way into

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#3)
Bleeds Kawi green

March 15, 2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
News at 11, stretched/slammed bikes ride like shit

I don't think there's much you can do other than unfucking the fuckery that your friend has fucked his way into
Yeah, I agree. I really tried to tel him, but he's a younger kid... My kids are grown and outta the house, but I remember how they are. lol

I told him the only places he could take the bike now was for rides as a trailer queen or the dragstrip. All the mountains we have in our area... WHY would anyone wanna do this? hahah
Unread
  (#4)
Chasing the dragon

March 16, 2013, 09:45 AM

For free...set the preload to something high and set the comp to something relatively stiff. All normal suspension tuning wisdom is gone with this one.

Slightly better....install stiffer springs and set the comp as needed. Research on a drag forum for what the heck they even do spring rate wise and if they do any changes to the valving.

best....slap your friend and rip off all that dumb shit. That is unless he actually drag races regularly and that is what he enjoys.

More gas, less brake
Unread
  (#5)
Bleeds Kawi green

March 16, 2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okayh View Post
For free...set the preload to something high and set the comp to something relatively stiff. All normal suspension tuning wisdom is gone with this one.

Slightly better....install stiffer springs and set the comp as needed. Research on a drag forum for what the heck they even do spring rate wise and if they do any changes to the valving.

best....slap your friend and rip off all that dumb shit. That is unless he actually drag races regularly and that is what he enjoys.
I hear ya! I was thinking the same thing with the pre-load. We'll see how it works out. I took it for a test spin and the front just really dives fast. I'm debating on putting the front forks back where they were or pulling them up further. I think pulling them up would make it worse, while putting it back to OEM level would look silly. lol May as well have a chopper at that point.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

March 16, 2013, 11:40 AM

Shorten suspension internally, cut springs in forks to match amount the fork was shortened (cutting the springs increases the spring rate), increase fork oil level to compensate for shorter fork stroke.
Re: 2001 Honda 929 Suspension Question
Unread
  (#7)
Bleeds Kawi green

Re: 2001 Honda 929 Suspension Question - March 16, 2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
Shorten suspension internally, cut springs in forks to match amount the fork was shortened (cutting the springs increases the spring rate), increase fork oil level to compensate for shorter fork stroke.
I'll check that out. Thanks Red