DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 514
4 members and 510 guests
2blueyam, amit, GRN96WS6, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
2001 YZF600R wont start
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

2001 YZF600R wont start - December 1, 2009, 02:24 PM

-My 2001 YZF600R will not start. The starter will churn away, the fuel pump is working, and have checked spark (even replaced coils) and still get no spark. What I'd like to do now is try replacing the ECU or the Relay, but those aren't exactly cheap.

If anyone can help me test it out by swapping your ECU or Relay in from a matching, working bike, I would greatly appreciate it as well as pay $40 for your time. Any sunny day you'd like to take a cruise down to Fredericksburg, VA, let me know! I work until 4PM Mon-Fri. The bike would have to be an exact match except maybe the year (97-01 are ok) for me to really trust the swap-test. The most reliable way to reach me is email: igrado at msn dot com, but I will try to check these forums daily also.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Igrado Send a message via AIM to Igrado Send a message via MSN to Igrado  
Unread
  (#2)
This is gonna hurt!

December 1, 2009, 03:01 PM

Unfortunately you may have made a classic mistake any parts person hears almost everytime a bike wont start. "I need a set of coils" It is almost never the coils. With a nonrunning 2001 YZF600R I think you are looking at gummed/dirty carbs. The longer it has been sitting the worse they may be.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

December 1, 2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex View Post
Unfortunately you may have made a classic mistake any parts person hears almost everytime a bike wont start. "I need a set of coils" It is almost never the coils. With a nonrunning 2001 YZF600R I think you are looking at gummed/dirty carbs. The longer it has been sitting the worse they may be.
Yeah that would certainly make more sense, but I'm not sure about that because it actually cut out on me in the middle of riding it. (Guess I should have given more of the story.) I was cruising down the road on my way home at about 50-55 MPH and, as is my usual habit, grabbed the clutch to coast down to a more LEO-friendly speed. When I went to reengage the clutch a few seconds later, I had no power. The engine was off. Since then, I have not been able to get the bike to start. One minute I'm cruising down the interstate and then the Highway, the next, I have to push it the remaining quarter-mile home...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Igrado Send a message via AIM to Igrado Send a message via MSN to Igrado  
Unread
  (#4)
TPG - screw face

December 1, 2009, 04:45 PM

http://www.dansmc.com/troubleshooting2.htm

other hyperlinks in the first link http://www.dansmc.com/cdiignition.htm
Unread
  (#5)
Ballaugh Bridge

December 2, 2009, 07:33 PM

Have you checked ALL the fuses?

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

December 3, 2009, 07:17 AM

Thanks. Yeah, all fuses have been checked, and none are out. The bike turns over, as does the motor. Of course, I can't do a compression test cause I can't get the bike warmed up (see: won't friggin START _) to properly test it cause I'll show low numbers across the board. I've checked spark (placing the plug against the frame) and it does not arc.

At this point the only thing remaining that creates spark is controlled either thru ECU or the main relay.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

December 3, 2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igrado View Post
Thanks. Yeah, all fuses have been checked, and none are out. The bike turns over, as does the motor. Of course, I can't do a compression test cause I can't get the bike warmed up (see: won't friggin START _) to properly test it cause I'll show low numbers across the board. I've checked spark (placing the plug against the frame) and it does not arc.

At this point the only thing remaining that creates spark is controlled either thru ECU or the main relay.
Not exactly. You also have a pickup coil that tells the ecu when to allow the coils to fire. What about the engine kill switch? If you turn it to off will the engine still turn over? If so then the switch could have to much resistance and also cause a no spark situation. Is the bike a dc or ac cdi system? If ac then there will also be an exciter coil that supplies the power for the coils. The rule is to test everything in the system and if everything passes replace the control module. If you can get a wiring diagram for the bike and your comfy using a meter I can walk you through finding the problem. Either way a wiring diagram will be very helpfull.
Unread
  (#8)
Licensed Rider

December 4, 2009, 07:25 AM

Thanks, those are some things I don't know or hadn't thought about. At least I can test out the engine kill switch possibility easy enough. I'm pretty sure it was turning things off properly, but it's been a few weeks since I did any troubleshooting.

Neither I nor my buddy that's helping me has seen a pickup coil on my bike (may look different than a cars), if anyone has pics of a pickup coil and where it's located/ how to check it, that would be immensely helpful. And this might be a pretty stupid question, but how can we tell if the CDI is a dc or ac? Electrical is getting into new territory, even for him.

I really appreciate everyone that's been so helpful.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

December 4, 2009, 09:49 AM

The pick up coil is under the left engine case cover (stator cover). It can be tested for ohms resistance or peak voltage output (ac). It should put out at least 1ac volt while cranking over the engine. I am not sure what the resistance should be but I would guess 135ohms or so. You should also check to make sure the pick up coil isn't shorting to ground. I will try to find a wiring diagram and help a little more.
Unread
  (#10)
540 Boyz Stunt Team Rider

December 6, 2009, 10:58 PM

Yeah it sounds like an electrical problem....no need to do a compression test, it would be a waste of your time now anyway...
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

December 6, 2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Loc540 View Post
Yeah it sounds like an electrical problem....no need to do a compression test, it would be a waste of your time now anyway...
A compression and leak down test are never a waste of time in a diagnostic process. The tests will tell you the condition of your engine both statically and dynamically and let you know that the most important part of your bike is up to the task of performing properly. I have seen many running issues addressed as fuel related issues to have them later diagnosed as engine related problems.
Unread
  (#12)
Licensed Rider

December 7, 2009, 09:00 AM

If anyone has a picture of the pick up coil, that would be helpful. I haven't seen one and Google is failing me here.

@E-Loc - nice to see someone from 'the burg' on here.
Unread
  (#13)
Jake's Mom

December 7, 2009, 09:05 AM

go on the yzf600r forum. They are all really nice and helpful!!

http://www.yzf600r.com/phpBB2/

2005 R6 - Track
2012 BMW S1000RR - Street
Ride Like A Girl Racing
Diva Rydaz
R.I.P. Wayne aka Godson
R.I.P. Sue Miller
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
Licensed Rider

December 7, 2009, 09:56 AM

Chased some links there and wound up at Dan's MC. I'm gonna back up and run a cold compression test, just to be sure. Fortunately my buddy (who actually has some mechanical skills and has pretty much been telling me what to say lol) has a compression tester and possibly even the correct fitting as he recently owned an 01 R6
Unread
  (#15)
TPG - screw face

December 7, 2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igrado View Post
Chased some links there and wound up at Dan's MC. I'm gonna back up and run a cold compression test, just to be sure. Fortunately my buddy (who actually has some mechanical skills and has pretty much been telling me what to say lol) has a compression tester and possibly even the correct fitting as he recently owned an 01 R6
lol @ "chased some links" i posted 2 DanMC links on Dec 1st....it's now the 7th.