DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 527
2 members and 525 guests
beatle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
2003 SV1000s
Unread
  (#1)
Stay Alert=Stay Alive

2003 SV1000s - January 1, 2014, 10:51 PM

I purchased an SV1000s a few months ago from a user on this forum
2003 SV1000S
I have been looking around for build kits and upgrades for this bike as it is about due for a rebuild (25k miles). So far I have found that a front fork swap/rear wheel swap from a GSXR 750 is a direct bolt on that will seriously change the handling of the bike for the better and give it the confidence I want diving into corners. I am enjoying the last days of riding my bike as I will be tearing it down for its first rebuild at the end of this month. What I plan to do is have the motor upgraded to an 1188 ported and polished with over sized valves
virtuseracing.com (stage 3 w/ superbike)
I think with all this is said and done I will be looking at about 170-180bhp
Anyone have any suggestions? This will be my first supertwin and I want to do it right. I have also heard that superbike handlebars make a huge difference but I have yet to ride with a set. Thoughts?

As a general rule:
Don't suck...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Stand Collector

January 2, 2014, 09:52 AM

you will be looking to dump a shit load of money, my 2 cents, if you want a high-power twin, use a 1098/1198 as a base and go from there, better starting point.

899 Panigale
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

January 2, 2014, 10:32 AM

Just curious why that bike would be due for a rebuild at just 25k miles...
Unread
  (#4)
Derpentine Dealer

January 2, 2014, 10:44 AM

Probably isn't. I don't mean to be antagonistic, but most metric bike riders have a notion in their heads that anything above 20K miles is bonus when in fact, a well-maintained Japanese bike will easily do 100K miles. It's a community mentality that is propagated by misinformation and conjecture. It's also a conclusion some folks make because they do not see many higher-mileage bikes on the roads. What they don't realize is that a majority of metric bike owners are very sloppy about maintaining their bikes, and a large percentage are totaled in crashes before ever turning the larger digits on their odometers.

All this said, if the previous owner(s) of the SV in question were negligent in oil changes and air filter service, then maybe it is in need of new rings and possibly some valve work.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#5)
Knee Draggin!

January 2, 2014, 11:19 AM

The above guys are right. If it runs fine with no weird noises or anything then it should still be good to go.

I think compression tests can make sure.

Nothing I say is to be taken seriously.

2004 Black ZX636
Unread
  (#6)
Derpentine Dealer

January 2, 2014, 11:33 AM

Check for smoke from the exhaust when on the throttle (going to need a following observer). Check a spark plug for carbon--can indicate oil is passing by the piston rings or coming down from failing valve seals. Monitor oil consumption between changes. More than a slight loss means it's burning. If you're not burning oil, then just do what you want with it.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#7)
Chasing the dragon

January 2, 2014, 11:10 PM

You might as well scoop up this triple clicker. The price is stupid: 03 04 05 Suzuki SV1000S SV1000 SV 1000 Penske Rear Suspension Adjustable Shock | eBay

More gas, less brake
Unread
  (#8)
My Chicken eats Busa's

January 3, 2014, 09:32 AM

+1 on the mileage. I've heard this argument before and it's just plain bullocks. Any time I'm trying to sell a bike with over 25K on it, people try to use that as a point to low-ball me. I just point to my SuperHawk with almost 60K miles on it. OR, I can point to Steven's VStrom with over 130,000 miles on it and laugh. That's right, 130,000+. Also, Steven's bike has been on some crazy-assed trips like the trans-American trail and all that. So, I guess my point is that a well-maintained Japanese bike will do some serious miles with little worries.

2003 Honda SuperHawk
No other bike needed. Already have SuperHawk

Click here for Brooks Cycles!
Unread
  (#9)
Ballaugh Bridge

January 3, 2014, 12:05 PM

I've got a solid SV1000 motor I'll sell you for $500.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#10)
Derpentine Dealer

January 3, 2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMotorcycleGuy View Post
I've got a solid SV1000 motor I'll sell you for $500.
That's not a bad way to go for a project bike that you want to ride too. You run one engine while you build another.

Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

January 3, 2014, 12:19 PM

For me spare motors have magically ensured that the one in the bike continued to run well. I have never actually used a spare motor. Just had them around as insurance.
Unread
  (#12)
Stay Alert=Stay Alive

January 4, 2014, 12:15 AM

Thank you for all the input. That penske shock is a great price! I know the rebuild isn't necessary but I want to rebuild from the ground up and refinish the bike. As for the motor that is for an sv1000s for $500 could you let me know a few specifics on it? Mileage? Condition? Year? Etc... I would love to build up one engine and then do a swap

As a general rule:
Don't suck...
Unread
  (#13)
Range Rover Owner

January 4, 2014, 06:30 AM

Glad you are enjoying the bike. You are looking to dump more money than the bike's worth. The Sv is not a super bike. I recommend you save money, sell the sv, and just buy a super bike to upgrade.
Unread
  (#14)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

January 4, 2014, 07:33 AM

1188cc stage one....$3659.00
1188cc stage two....$4709.00
1188cc stage three.$5109.00

Dumb.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

January 4, 2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcrich90 View Post
Thoughts?
What is your goal?

If the goal is to have the baddest SV1000 around go for it!!!!

If the goal is to own a bad ass fire breathing cornering monster of a sport bike and it doesn't have to be an SV1000 then save yourself a bunch of time, money, and headache and get the right tool for the job. The SV1000 isn't it no matter how much money you throw at it.

For the cost of the Stage III kit alone you can buy one heck of a nice liter bike that would run rings around any built SV1000 so it really depends on what YOUR goal is.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.