DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 503
2 members and 501 guests
boomboom929, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
2006 gsxr 750 stalling
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

2006 gsxr 750 stalling - December 5, 2012, 04:12 PM

Hey guys, I recently started my bike up since its been parked for about a month. The first time I started the bike up and rode around it was fine, now the next day I started up it cranked and started, but after about 5 seconds the engine sputtered and turned off. I started it up and the same thing. I tried giving some throttle and the bike ended up staying on and all was well as I rode around, it didn't stall at a red light or anything. Now when I parked the bike four a few hours and started it up, it did the same thing. I don't think its the wheather because i've started the bike up with a cold start many times with no problems. I haven't done an oil change in about 2.5k miles so I was wondering if this was the problem? Also it was tipped over as I was parking it in the back yard while stationary but the bike has frame sliders so I don't think it could have messed anything up? The exhaust blows out some smoke as I give it some throttle while idling. Now I can't really tell if the smoke is white or blue, it kinda looks the same. i'll have a video posted up with this post to show exactly whats going on. By the way the bike has 9k miles, I bought it at 7k miles. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
On vacation

December 5, 2012, 04:30 PM

How old is the battery? That may be your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#3)
Groping is a skill...

December 5, 2012, 04:34 PM

I would say put some fresh gas in there along with some seafoam. The smoke doesn't look bad.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Meh

December 5, 2012, 04:35 PM

Looks to be running pig rich.

Does it have a programmer on it?
Unread
  (#5)

December 5, 2012, 05:00 PM

I'm guessing the previous owner never changed the battery. But it seems like the battery shouldn't be the probelm because the bieks starts up right away and has no problems. Although the bike has a gorilla alarm system (which i never use) but perhaps might be draining the battery?

And I asked some other people and they suggested the same sea foam as well. I'll def refill the bike up tomorrow with fresh gas and get some sea foam as well. Also, before parking the bike about a month ago, I filled up the tank almost and added fuel stabalizer for winter storage. Would that have something to do with it?

And yes it runs rich ever since i removed the stock exhaust and installed the two bros slip on. It back fires when i come down from high rpm. I don't mind it as much as long as its not hurting the bike from what i hear. And no, it doesn't have a programmer installed

Last edited by GSXR-750; December 5, 2012 at 05:03 PM..
Unread
  (#6)
Groping is a skill...

December 5, 2012, 05:32 PM

Fuel stabilizer should have helped. I'm still assuming fueling though.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
Unread
  (#7)
unapologetic

December 5, 2012, 08:39 PM

Start with the basics. Fuel, spark and air.

Check the battery for voltage, then check it again while it is idling. Then raise the idle to make sure the stator is working correctly. Make sure it is within spec.

Check the airbox. If it is kept outside, you never know what might be interrupting the proper airflow.

The smoke or haze from the cold exhaust looks to be fuel and/or oil. It is usually condensation built up in the two fluids being displaced. It shouldn't be oil unless you have ring issues (if it leaves an oily residue in the can after being fully warmed up and turned off, it's blow by. Time to find a shop and start with getting your oil changed and praying for the best). If it is condensation in the fuel, treat the fuel and then FILL THE TANK. Run it for a bit to get the fuel treatment into all of the fueling components.

DON'T REV THE MOTOR until you figure out what's going on with it. The motor knows when it needs to choke (up idle) itself. Also, if you are going to keep that can, do yourself a favor and get a tuner and have it tuned for the bike. most slip ons are okay, but sometimes they can cause more harm than good.

Also, if you take it to a shop, have them check the draw the alarm is placing on the electrical system. If installed incorrectly and it goes bad, it can fool the ECU into a bypass where the bike will only run for a few seconds before cutting out. I figured this out a long time ago by removing the system completely after almost losing my mind checking and rechecking the install and then the bike ran fine.

Lots to check, good luck.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#8)
This Ain't My First Time!

December 5, 2012, 09:04 PM

The smoke is steam. Hot exhaust hitting the water in the pipe.

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)

December 5, 2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Start with the basics. Fuel, spark and air.

Check the battery for voltage, then check it again while it is idling. Then raise the idle to make sure the stator is working correctly. Make sure it is within spec.

Check the airbox. If it is kept outside, you never know what might be interrupting the proper airflow.

The smoke or haze from the cold exhaust looks to be fuel and/or oil. It is usually condensation built up in the two fluids being displaced. It shouldn't be oil unless you have ring issues (if it leaves an oily residue in the can after being fully warmed up and turned off, it's blow by. Time to find a shop and start with getting your oil changed and praying for the best). If it is condensation in the fuel, treat the fuel and then FILL THE TANK. Run it for a bit to get the fuel treatment into all of the fueling components.

DON'T REV THE MOTOR until you figure out what's going on with it. The motor knows when it needs to choke (up idle) itself. Also, if you are going to keep that can, do yourself a favor and get a tuner and have it tuned for the bike. most slip ons are okay, but sometimes they can cause more harm than good.

Also, if you take it to a shop, have them check the draw the alarm is placing on the electrical system. If installed incorrectly and it goes bad, it can fool the ECU into a bypass where the bike will only run for a few seconds before cutting out. I figured this out a long time ago by removing the system completely after almost losing my mind checking and rechecking the install and then the bike ran fine.

Lots to check, good luck.
I'll start on whatever I can do tomorrow witht the check up. I'll first try treating the fuel. How do you recommend treating it before filling up? I definitely want to get rid of the alaram system, as it does no good really. And as for the slip on, which power commander do you recommend? Is there a difference between the III ad V?
Thanks for the advice, to all of you. Alot to take in but gotta start somewhere. I've had 8 bikes now and none of them had any problems like this. I hope its something small, its a very clean bike.
Unread
  (#10)

December 11, 2012, 07:38 PM

Hey guys, quick update. So i started the bike up today, I checked the air vent and nothing was there. I haven't checked the air filter itself though. When i started up the bike it fired up right away and stayed on but was giving that sputtering sound like it wanted to turn off but it didnt. As the temperature rose up from 80-110 it got a little better and the sputtering was fading away but still there. As it got to 120ish I opened up the throttle back and forth, back and forth to around 4k rpm. The bike seems to want to turn off when pulling on the throttle back and forth and letting go. Any suggestions on this new update? I'm going to refill it with fresh fuel and check the air filter tomorrow or the next day and let you guys know then as well.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

December 12, 2012, 09:18 AM

Just as random idea since it was tipped over at one point. Check the "tip over sensor" and make sure it's in the right position and secured. This happened to me once. Just my .02

Forum Runner FTW!!!
Unread
  (#12)
Typical Stripper

December 12, 2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
This. Just checking the ducting isnt enough. You really need to check the filter and TBs to be sure you arent sitting there sucking in mouse turds or your chewed up filter.

While youre in there pull off the fuel line and inspect the fuel that comes out of the line. If its five month old gas it needs to be drained and replaced with fresh.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
Unread
  (#13)
Stop light racer...

December 12, 2012, 12:02 PM

Bad News: The Bike is fucked...

Good News: I'll give you $500 for it this weekend.

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T
Unread
  (#14)
Typical Stripper

December 12, 2012, 02:17 PM

Also depending on how long it was tipped over, there may be oil that has gotten into the airbox and being sucked through the tbs creating the smoke.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
Unread
  (#15)

December 12, 2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
Just as random idea since it was tipped over at one point. Check the "tip over sensor" and make sure it's in the right position and secured. This happened to me once. Just my .02

Forum Runner FTW!!!
Someone told me that as well but isn't the tip over sensor on the left side? The bike was tipped over on the right side.

Tags
engine stall, gsxr, smoke, sputtering