DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 555
1 members and 554 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
2006 R6 no cut frame sliders puzzle and torque settings
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

2006 R6 no cut frame sliders puzzle and torque settings - January 9, 2008, 08:47 PM

Hey, folks,

I got a hold of some no cut frame sliders for my 2006 R6. Unfortunately, they didn't come with instructions (got them second-hand).

1. I don't know how much torque to apply to the frame slider bolts. I have a torque wrench, but I just don't know what to set it at.

2. Please look at these pics and tell me if I've put the pieces together correctly. I put the "normal" washer on the bolt going into the shorter frame slider. I put the strange conical, painted washer on the longer frame slider. Is that right?

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Knee Draggin!

January 9, 2008, 10:13 PM

The strange conical, painted washer is called the engine mounting collar. Since you got the frame sliders second hand I assuming that engine mount collar came with them, if that is the case you might want to give it back to your buddy as he is now without a fairly important part of his bike. The bolts should both get torque to 32ft-lbs per the 2006 R6 Service manual also look at it for the location of that engine mounting collar.

You want to reference page 5-5 (page 208, item 2 in the figure for the location of the engine mount collar. The torques can also be found on page 5-5 in the figure next to item 1 and 4 or in the box at the bottom of page 5-6.

I hope that this helps; I have the same bike and sliders. They are decent frame sliders if you don't want to cut your plastic, if you do go down expect the bolts especially the left side (with that offset bracket) to bend a bit but nothing noticeable. If you need more help just let me know.

Charlie
Unread
  (#3)
FASTER

January 9, 2008, 10:21 PM

If you don't know that manufacturer ask Donniecs since he has the same kind. Contact them and you can find which bolt and spacer or connical thingy go in which slider. As you can tell even the bolts are different lengths.

Favorite thing on my bike: the miles I put on it

Last edited by JUSTGO; January 9, 2008 at 10:27 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JUSTGO  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

January 9, 2008, 10:38 PM

Thanks, guys. These are Shogun frame sliders.

So I obviously don't use that mounting collar. So does that mean that I'm missing a washer for the left side (the slider with the offset)? It's easy enough to pick up at the hardware store, but I just wanted to make sure that I needed one.

Also, the bolts are allen wrench bolts. My torque wrench is for standard bolts. Is there some sort of adapter that I need?

Thanks.
Unread
  (#5)
FASTER

January 9, 2008, 10:54 PM

You can buy allen sockets. check it
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...=allen+sockets

Favorite thing on my bike: the miles I put on it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JUSTGO  
Unread
  (#6)
Knee Draggin!

January 9, 2008, 11:31 PM

I can't remember if that mounting collar fit on the right side with the frame slider or not with my bike. I think I remember taking my collar out also but I'd defiantly try it with the collar in first and the frame slider and see if the threads will catch on the bolt. If it doesn't look right or if the threads don't catch, pull that collar out but put it somewhere you'll remember so you can use it down the road if need be.

Those allen bolts are 8mm and you'll probably need a 4" extension to get to them since they sit down in the frame slider. Just remember to buy the right size drive if you going to buy tools. If your torque wrench is in FT/LBS it's probably 3/8' or 1/2" drive. If you don't have the tools you can always use an 8mm allen wrench and your "calibrated elbow"

Charlie
Unread
  (#7)
RIP Jeff Vega

January 10, 2008, 09:51 AM

Collar should be on the throttle side of the bike.