DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 520
2 members and 518 guests
beatle, Leoallafila
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
2007 R1 Help - Rear Brake Caliper Not Secure
Unread
  (#1)
Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride

2007 R1 Help - Rear Brake Caliper Not Secure - March 30, 2009, 06:04 PM

Hey guys,

I'm working on a friend's 2007 R1. I'm reinstalling the rear wheel for him and I'm having trouble with the rear brake. I have installed the caliper mounting block with the tab set into the recess in the swingarm and tightened the axle nut down. I then installed the caliper onto the mounting block with the 12 and 14mm bolts. The 14mm bolt appears to have been cross threaded (not by me) but it seats tightly.

When I press the brake the caliper moves slightly. The piston is pressing against the pads but the caliper moves and so I get no brake pressure.

When I look at another R1, everything appears to be assembled the exact same way that I had it on this '07. I've asked my friend if the brake condition was pre-existing but he bought the bike and rode it down his street one time so he doesn't know.

Does anyone know what is wrong here? Am I assembling this thing incorrectly? Does the cross threaded bolt have anything to do with it?

-Thanks!

2006 Yamaha FZ1, Fully Ivanized
And a slow ass 2004 350Z to beat around in all winter, ugh

Sold the GSX-R750 and looking to get another standard!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Say Jur Oh

March 30, 2009, 06:14 PM

The mounting block should not move. The caliper is supposed to move. Usually after slapping pads you need to pump the brakes a few times before you take up the slack between the pads and the disc.

That's already been done yes?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#3)
Has an idiot exemption

March 30, 2009, 06:18 PM

I hate to sound like an ass but please take it to a shop and have it checked.
You made several statements that concern me.
There are only 2 wheels on a bike. If one fails the results usually aren't pretty and can be quite expensive.
Good on ya for trying to help a friend though.

Steve

2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2008 Honda CRF 450R
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#4)
Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride

March 30, 2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seijirou View Post
The mounting block should not move. The caliper is supposed to move. Usually after slapping pads you need to pump the brakes a few times before you take up the slack between the pads and the disc.

That's already been done yes?
Yep, thats been done. The pads are right up on the disc. The reason I get no brake pressure is that the caliper moves slightly at the 14mm bolt (the slide bolt) when the brakes are applied. The brake pressure is wasted on moving the caliper. We're talking very slight movement - about a millimeter. The other end of the caliper which is secured by the 12mm bolt does not move. The caliper mounting block also does not move.

Unread
  (#5)
Say Jur Oh

March 30, 2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
Yep, thats been done. The pads are right up on the disc. The reason I get no brake pressure is that the caliper moves slightly at the 14mm bolt (the slide bolt) when the brakes are applied. The brake pressure is wasted on moving the caliper. We're talking very slight movement - about a millimeter. The other end of the caliper which is secured by the 12mm bolt does not move. The caliper mounting block also does not move.

Sorry, I'd have to see it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

March 30, 2009, 06:42 PM

Picture?
Unread
  (#7)
TPG - screw face

March 30, 2009, 06:52 PM

are all the pins, bolts, and sleeves fitted correctly? nothing is threaded wrong or anything is it? maybe was seated wrong when you tightened it down...that'll leave a very small space when you think a screw or something is tightened down and it actually isn't because it's seated wrong.

edit...just read through ur first post...a cross threaded thread that has damage can actually cause peices of metal (off the thread) or whatever to break off and prevent the screw from seating right. I'd back it out slowly and blow some air in there something...maybe go in with a qtip...dunno how small the hole is and when you go to screw the screw back in..no power tools and turn slowly.

Last edited by Oneway; March 30, 2009 at 07:02 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
TPG

March 30, 2009, 07:39 PM

why did you remove the caliper from the monting block to begin with?
Unread
  (#9)
Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride

March 30, 2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
are all the pins, bolts, and sleeves fitted correctly? nothing is threaded wrong or anything is it? maybe was seated wrong when you tightened it down...that'll leave a very small space when you think a screw or something is tightened down and it actually isn't because it's seated wrong.

edit...just read through ur first post...a cross threaded thread that has damage can actually cause peices of metal (off the thread) or whatever to break off and prevent the screw from seating right. I'd back it out slowly and blow some air in there something...maybe go in with a qtip...dunno how small the hole is and when you go to screw the screw back in..no power tools and turn slowly.
Thanks, sounds like the cross-threaded bolt may be the issue. It looks like the 14mm slide pin has cut new threads into the caliper when it was cross-threaded. It will only go in that way now and the slide pin is slightly crooked. If that is the case it sounds like a new caliper is required? I can't cut new threads since the slide bolt is a 14mm and they don't make them in other sizes.

Unread
  (#10)
TPG - screw face

March 30, 2009, 08:50 PM

if the bolt threads are damaged, you can get a new bolt and try to "make" new threads in the hole that way...or you can get a tap and die set to fix the threads in the hole and the bolt...you can try that before dropping cash on a whole new caliper...unless you got that kinda chedda

you can also take a nut and screw it slowly onto the bolt.. "fixing" the threads on the bolt...

g/l

Last edited by Oneway; March 31, 2009 at 12:35 AM..
Unread
  (#11)
Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride

March 31, 2009, 03:25 AM

Thanks Oneway, I'll try to repair the current bolt with a 14mm nut and if that doesn't work I'll order a new 14mm slide bolt.

Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer

March 31, 2009, 06:13 AM

It sounds to me like you didnt install the bracket that holds the brake caliper correctly when you put the rear wheel back on the bike. It has a raised section that slides into a groove on the swingarm. If its not in there, there will be way too much free play.

Take the wheel off again and make sure its put together correctly.