DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 534
3 members and 531 guests
beatle, davidcycle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
2012 Yamaha Zuma - Fuel Injector issue
Unread
  (#1)
Elite Racing

2012 Yamaha Zuma - Fuel Injector issue - July 9, 2013, 12:49 PM

So a week before Memorial Day weekend, I purchased a brand new, 2012 Zuma 125 from Loudoun Motorsports. 2 tanks of gas and 138.6 miles later and 2 weekends ago, I was at Summit, on the scoot with it idling and chatting with a fellow racer. Next thing I know, it cuts off on me. Won't re-fire, so I push it to my pit.

When the key was turned on and kill switch flipped to on, you could hear the fuel pump prime. Hitting the start button would attempt to re-fire, but would get nothing. The starter was working.

Pulled the fuse box, all fuses good.

Pulled the spark plug, and I couldn't get a spark. Me and 2 other guys swore there was no spark and there was no odor of gas.

Tried putting it on a trickle charger thinking there may not be enough juice for it to completely turn over. Didn't help.

Disconnected the battery for ~10 minutes thinking some stupid safety mechanism engaged. Nope, not that either.

So I finally decide to load it up and head to Loudoun to have them look at it. Even called them for some troubleshooting help and they had nothing.

3.5 hours hanging at the dealership and they apparently got spark (not sure why I didn't get a spark or what they did to fix it) but they weren't getting any fuel and determined the injector went bad.....somehow. No explanation. Service guy told em they were going to order a new fuel filter and injector.

That was June 28. I called them this morning and the service manager indicated they're still waiting on one part. He couldn't tell me what part it was, but it had to do with the injector. I asked him for an estimate, to which he thought I was asking how much it was going to fix it. He said, "I'm trying to get this all covered under warranty." I laughed in his ear and told him I was asking about a time frame to when I will have the scooter back.

They have been good for the most part, but the lack of communication is tweaking my nerves just a bit. I want to know exactly WTF happened to my scooter. Did some debris make it through the fuel filter and clog the injector? Did the injector somehow break? Is there a more serious problem that they're not telling me about??

Anyone familiar enough with Yamaha scoot stuff that maybe has an idea of what happened?

Should I press them for more detailed information, in the event something else happens in the near future, and they try to make me pay for it but was somehow a result of what's already happened?

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed

Last edited by Castle; July 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GDMFSOB

July 9, 2013, 03:04 PM

Poor Stewie.
I would always want to know what is going on and what was done. That's just me though. Unfortunately, to them it may "just be a scooter". Never had any experience with LMS myself.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

July 9, 2013, 04:40 PM

If you can get your hands on the injector and mail it to me I can put it on my injector cleaner/tester and tell you for sure if you have an injector issue.
Unread
  (#4)
Elite Racing

July 9, 2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
If you can get your hands on the injector and mail it to me I can put it on my injector cleaner/tester and tell you for sure if you have an injector issue.
I'll see what I can do, but I doubt it'll happen seeing as though the dealership is doing the work and it will be warrantied.

Thanks much for the offer, though! Greatly apprecaited.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

July 9, 2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
I'll see what I can do, but I doubt it'll happen seeing as though the dealership is doing the work and it will be warrantied.

Thanks much for the offer, though! Greatly apprecaited.
Cool. If the injector is the part on back order Yamaha has a sublet option in their warranty process and they could/would pay for the injector to be cleaned and back flushed if the tech that diagnosed the issue believes it'll fix the problem. It would cost $20. Either way good luck.