DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 541
2 members and 539 guests
legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
2nd gear slipping?
Unread
  (#1)
Cheers

Smile 2nd gear slipping? - May 16, 2008, 08:43 PM

Just bought a 99' R1 with 34k on it. When wineding out first gear then going into second gear I get a hesitation which is a little scary at higher speeds, it feels like the gear is slipping and then catches itself..When I bought the bike tthe guy selling it said he changed the oil last night and when doing so he found "pieces of the clutch in the oil", i'm thinking no big deal i need a new clutch,, He also said he thought this was the original clutch on the bike. I still bought it because it's an R1 and i bought it for $2800.. I spoke with a few people today and i'm getting mixed suggestions from ; I need to rebuild the transmission to I just need a new clutch..

Any advice would be greatly appriciated..

Last edited by JDouble; May 16, 2008 at 09:21 PM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
whoa preppy......

May 16, 2008, 10:10 PM

Hi

Your shift forks and or shift drum = FOCKED.

Clutches in an R1 will go 70-80k without abuse.

Your $2800 bike will be $4000 if you have a shop fix it.

Look for a used motor. It's probably cheaper and easier. Engine needs to come out and case needs to be split.

Find guy who sold it to you and punch him in the throat.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
2 wheels for life

May 16, 2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot
Hi

Your shift forks and or shift drum = FOCKED.

Clutches in an R1 will go 70-80k without abuse.

Your $2800 bike will be $4000 if you have a shop fix it.

Look for a used motor. It's probably cheaper and easier. Engine needs to come out and case needs to be split.

Find guy who sold it to you and punch him in the throat.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Derpentine Dealer

May 17, 2008, 02:56 AM

$4K is a bit high for a '99 R1 with 34K miles on it, but it's not obscene. Watch ebay for engines--that will be cheaper. There are people on here who may be able to help out with the swap.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Meh

May 17, 2008, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude
$4K is a bit high for a '99 R1 with 34K miles on it, but it's not obscene. Watch ebay for engines--that will be cheaper. There are people on here who may be able to help out with the swap.
I think he meant that he will have at least an additional 1200 in it to get the bike fixed, thus yielding the 4K number.
Unread
  (#6)
Derpentine Dealer

May 17, 2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch
I think he meant that he will have at least an additional 1200 in it to get the bike fixed, thus yielding the 4K number.
Exactly. So $2800 for the bike with problem plus the repair cost totals a purchase for a 99 R1 that's not too terribly high. If he can find a cheap engine and tranny and some decent local help or has the skill and resources to do it himself, then he's even better off.

Personally, I would not buy an older bike from someone who told me that pieces of the clutch came out with the oil change. Not for more than $1K, anyway. But you have the bike now and have to get it fixed. It won't be such a big deal.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#7)
racer fo real

May 18, 2008, 01:06 AM

It could be a worn shift fork or the dogs on the gears . Does it jump out of gear into a false nuetral? Another thing is make sure your linkage isnt binding externally. If it is the dogs or shift fork, the parts are cheap it is just major labor to pull the motor and open the trans. if you cant do it yourself.
2nd gear is the one that gives the most problem from people missing shifts at high rpm and wearing the dogs and forks. It won't hurt anything just be a little more cautious on that 1st to 2nd gear shift.

Arnie
A&M Motorsports-VP race fuel vendor
CCS/WERA - expert #38
AMA - #318
NESBA Control rider
Motorcycle excitement coach
2012 gsxr 750
2009 gsxr 1000
2012 rmz 450
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to ahastings Send a message via AIM to ahastings  
Unread
  (#8)
Cheers

May 18, 2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahastings
It could be a worn shift fork or the dogs on the gears . Does it jump out of gear into a false nuetral? Another thing is make sure your linkage isnt binding externally. If it is the dogs or shift fork, the parts are cheap it is just major labor to pull the motor and open the trans. if you cant do it yourself.
2nd gear is the one that gives the most problem from people missing shifts at high rpm and wearing the dogs and forks. It won't hurt anything just be a little more cautious on that 1st to 2nd gear shift.
Thanks. I beieve it does jump out of 2nd into a false nuetral for a split second then returns to second. Again it does not happen often only when acellerating at high speed.
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to