DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 542
1 members and 541 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
99 GSXR 750 - valves
Unread
  (#1)
TPG - screw face

99 GSXR 750 - valves - July 30, 2008, 09:25 PM

anyone got some time to help me check my valves and pull the stator so I can check the cam shaft position sensor? 99 GSXR 750 - 32k+ miles - bought used at 18k miles in Nov'07 - no record of a valve adjustment. Symptoms include, stammering in the low end, deep throaty sound, 0% acceleration on the high end, (basically feels like you are hitting the rev limiter, even though you are only at 7-10k rpm) and high temps (260 as of today) when standing still and in idle. Tryna beef up the resale value. I have the Clymer manual and can bring beer or whatev. I've been to various shops...Coleman's wants $530 for labor alone...and Fairfax Cycles wants $160/hr minimum 2 hours. I'ma year round rider..both shops are saying 8-10 days turn around time. Problems came immediately after a bump start.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG - screw face

August 1, 2008, 09:55 AM

hmmm so apparently my bike rides better with very little gas...got her up to 12k rpm in 2nd gear with no stutter or stammer - that's a first since March when this happened. Then got gas...and back to poopy
Unread
  (#3)
Has an idiot exemption

August 1, 2008, 10:13 AM

Wonder if the cam timing jumped a tooth when you bump-started it?

Steve

2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2008 Honda CRF 450R
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#4)
TPG - screw face

August 1, 2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9
Wonder if the cam timing jumped a tooth when you bump-started it?
that question has been an issue. However the bike has been getting better over time. Can a bike get better over time if the cam chain jumped? Like, when it happened...30mph was top speed and 1,2, and barely 3rd were the only gears useable. Months pass...she rides better....then $750 later from Crossroad Cycle, after fuel injectors flushed, gas tank re-lined, fuel pump flushed, and a new fuel filter - they took my money and said well...it's not fuel related, sorry we couldn't fix it. Then a good friend came over...we took everything apart..and checked all connections with the multimeter...everything was in spec. We sprayed intake clearner inside the TB - and she roared like an angry lion even a compression test was done...checked out fine. Then we got a FI code in the tach...C28 - which is the cam shaft position sensor...and from what I hear and read...this can cause my symptoms...but I don't have a stator puller to check it

Last edited by Oneway; August 1, 2008 at 10:32 AM..
Unread
  (#5)
Has an idiot exemption

August 1, 2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway
Then we got a FI code in the tach...C28 - which is the cam shaft position sensor...and from what I hear and read...this can cause my symptoms...but I don't have a stator puller to check it
That makes me suspect the cam timing is off even more.
I'd have you bring it out to Winchester so I could give you a hand but I'm busy the next 2 weeks.
Should be easy to check. Pull the valve cover and see if the marks line up on the cams.

Steve

2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2008 Honda CRF 450R
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#6)
TPG - screw face

August 1, 2008, 03:13 PM

we got that FI code and found that a wire was mysteriously cut within the harness near the alternator clip and fuel pump relay, after I had to push it about 2 miles home from Champion Motorsports in Herndon, VA...we connected it and the code went away and the bike started...but the problems remained....

that's what another friend suggested..that perhaps the timing is off...and or perhaps the position sensor is loose. Fairfax Cycles is saying it all sounds like valves and an electronic diagnosis was done and came back within spec. I have a Clymer manual and all the time in the world...just no tools thanks for ur input btw...she still rides and I still get on her on group rides...so if you end up getting some free time...i can ride out to you - it would be hugely appreciated.

going on 4 months...3 shops...and $870 to date and still not fixed

Last edited by Oneway; August 1, 2008 at 03:18 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

August 1, 2008, 03:39 PM

I have a 98.I replaced the CCT with a manual one.The stock Suzuki CCT was actually recalled.I had to line up the lines on the cams and all that jazz.When I was putting it back together I didn't ziptie the chain to the cams tight enough and it jumped a tooth.Barely ran.I'm not a mechanic,so don't take my word for it,but when mine was off a tooth,it wasn't ridable.You may want to head over to gixxer.com,theres a section for SRAD's and some experts on the bike.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#8)
Ballaugh Bridge

August 1, 2008, 03:49 PM

Has anything been done to the electrical switch connected to the clutch lever?

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#9)
TPG - screw face

August 1, 2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVbadguy
Has anything been done to the electrical switch connected to the clutch lever?

actually...yes. that section of the wiring harness was taking out to fix the solder points in the headlight housing switch. To get that out...the clutch switch had to be taken apart because that peice of the wiring harness that runs up into the headlight housing switch also includes the clutch switch wiring and runs down behind the front fairing and connects to another pin connector box thing...has about 16 connections in I think...something like that. So to answer your question...it was just unplugged...and plugged back in when we fixed the solder points in the headlight switch.

I think I know where you may go next....yes we did unplug...wait..and plug back in the ECU to reset it. Still no luck...

and C2H5OH...i'm active on gixxer.com - yields the same as here....50+ views...8 posts...5 of them mine lol. But you are correct about the CCT...I've heard that before....there's actually a very nice how-to write up on gixxer.com

but no where have I read and I anything I've seen or heard...does it say that the bike will get better over time....and that's exactly what mine has been doing....I think that is what is so baffeling...because one shop called me and said "hey your bike is fixed" then called me back an hour later after another test ride and said "nevermind...it's doing it again"

When it happened...like i said before...there was no way in hell i coulda out ran a dog let alone clutch up a wheelie....now I keep up sorta in the twisties and definitely clutch up a wheelie...if I knew how lol

Last edited by Oneway; August 1, 2008 at 04:11 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

August 2, 2008, 01:19 AM

I've had newer bikes,but this is my fave by far.It's actually a chitty bike with more problems than any other bike ever made.I'm not giving it up any time soon though.

Once every two months or so it starts running crappy out of the blue.I disconnect the "brain" and it runs right again....worth a shot

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#11)
TPG - screw face

August 3, 2008, 08:35 AM

yea i've done that once before...maybe worth a shot again....when you do it...do you do anything else or just leave it disconnected...and for how long?

thanks mang. and I feel you about not giving up....lol i like this bike too much...hell it's my 2nd one. But i'm sure after this issue is solved...i can qualify as an Urban Certified GSXR Mechanic hahaha

also - my main concern is the loss of acceleration. 1st -3rd acceleration is ok...but the top end is just not there....it shows up after the throttle has been cracked open for about a minute or 2.

Last edited by Oneway; August 3, 2008 at 08:40 AM..
Unread
  (#12)
TPG

August 4, 2008, 07:31 PM

buy a honda
Unread
  (#13)
TPG - screw face

August 4, 2008, 10:21 PM

Quote: