DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 553
4 members and 549 guests
davidcycle, HenryW, Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Adjustment of a Manual Cam Chain tensioner
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

Adjustment of a Manual Cam Chain tensioner - March 20, 2010, 12:27 AM

Hello,

Well I am first time rider and I own a 99 GSXR 600 SRAD. When I bought the bike I heard a rattle, Then I recently got it inspected and the mechanic at the shop told me that I needed a new cam chain tensioner because 96-00 gsxr have a bad stock tensioner and mines needed to be replaced. He said I could still ride it but I should get it replaced within a month. I did some reading and found that its very common and easy to install,..

I follow a "How to" from google and decided to save myself 150$ that he was gonna charge me. I bought it from online from APE for about 50.

No I installed it. In the "How to" it said that you should finger tighten the tensioner until you feel the chain, then bring it back slightly. Well I did that. i locked it in position and gave it a go. Bike started fine and I rode it for about 20 min no problem what so ever.

I just wanted to ask what your guys opinion is? how to u know you hit the sweet spot for the tensioner, I just dont want it to be too tight or too loose..
Thanks and be safe out there.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
cake > pie

March 20, 2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truekid View Post
finger tighten the tensioner until you feel the chain, then bring it back slightly.
This was always my understanding on how to properly adjust them too.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Banned

March 20, 2010, 01:29 AM

go to gixxer.com and look in the 96-99 gsxr forum section. Everything you need to know is there...in a sticky thread so you don't have to search and find it. You can also post and get tons of help - way more than you will get on here.

the stock tensioners are a POS and u went with the right one from APE.
  Send a message via AIM to