DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 590
1 members and 589 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Air compressor advice needed!!
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

Air compressor advice needed!! - April 9, 2010, 11:37 PM

For all you Mechanics out there that know your tools. I want to start adding to my tools, i want an air compressor. I have done some research but still kinda confused about what size and hp to buy, i want one that i can use a sander, air wrenches, paint and impact wrenches and all that stuff on and i was wondering which one would be best. i dont have alot of money but i just want something that is not going to run out of air every 20 mins. give me some of your advice to help me make my final choice.

thanks
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG

April 10, 2010, 12:27 AM

You just need an air compressor that will produce the required pressure for your pnumatic tools. Usually 100psi is fine but specifics should be posted on your equipment. The fequency of "running out of air" just depends on the size of your tank.

2008 - Kawasaki ZX-6R
2007 - Suzuki GSX-R750 (Sold)
1999 - Yamaha R6 (Sold)

TPG

RIP Jeff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Jaxxx  
Unread
  (#3)
Playing in the dirt

April 10, 2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehotgsxr View Post
For all you Mechanics out there that know your tools. I want to start adding to my tools, i want an air compressor. I have done some research but still kinda confused about what size and hp to buy, i want one that i can use a sander, air wrenches, paint and impact wrenches and all that stuff on and i was wondering which one would be best. i dont have alot of money but i just want something that is not going to run out of air every 20 mins. give me some of your advice to help me make my final choice.

thanks
1. How much do you plan on using it?
2. How much space do you have?
3. Intensions on sand/media blasting?

you should be looking at a 2 stage 165-175psi 60-80 gallon, and a minium of 15-16cfm @ 90-100psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
The fequency of "running out of air" just depends on the size of your tank.
If you are talking about how often the pump is cycling they yes, however running out of air (psi) is not dependent on the tank size at all. It is however dependent on your pump rating (scfm or cfm).

KTMs and Yamahas
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

April 10, 2010, 12:15 PM

I have room and i will be using it for my own personal projects and maintenance tasks. Thanks for the advice.
Unread
  (#5)
Playing in the dirt

April 11, 2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehotgsxr View Post
I have room and i will be using it for my own personal projects and maintenance tasks. Thanks for the advice.
Some DA's will require up to 11cfm @ 90, you want the compressor to have a rating higher than that (higher the better) so that the time between cycles is reasonable.

Also if you plan on painting with it (and really if you want your tools to last) you will need to plumb in metal hard lines. it will allow the vapor to condense in the lines so it can be seperated out.
(dont buy this kit but the write up is good)http://www.tptools.com/p/2035,110_Mo...ping-Kits.html

a simple "water trap" can be made out of copper tubing:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/wate...or-115341.html

As for the compressor:
These are the same compressors(made by abac american) however the Bel-aire has a baldor motor and the HF has a AO smith unit.
http://www.squaremcompany.com/indust...essor-3-0.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93274

KTMs and Yamahas