DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 209
5 members and 204 guests
nootherids, R6SP, RRonin, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Any saturn mechanics in the area, or anyone familiar with airbag systems?
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

Any saturn mechanics in the area, or anyone familiar with airbag systems? - June 9, 2014, 08:11 PM

Problem - 97 Saturn SL2 failed inspection due to the air bag light being on

The station that did the inspection diagnosed the issue as a faulty air bag module, quoted me $300 to replace it with a unit from a junk yard, and then said there is no garuntee it will fix the issue. So, I left and bought two replacement units online for a grand total of $25, just in case one didn't work.

It takes all of 5 minutes to replace the module, but of course the light refuses to turn off despite having 3 units to choose from.

When turning the car on, the light flashes 7 times and stays on after that. The fuse passes the visual check. I removed the fuse and disconnected the battery(Google tells me this resets the air bag system, and should reset the light, no luck)

Any suggestions? Any shops in the area who know what they are doing?

2013 Hypermotard
1998 Superhawk
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Railing!

June 10, 2014, 07:09 AM

Morning bump

2013 Hypermotard
1998 Superhawk
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

June 10, 2014, 11:20 AM

I'm no tech, as anyone here can attest, but have you gone by Autozone and used their OBDII reader? They'll let you use it for free, and you may be able to reset the code with it. I'm not 100% sure though...

2001 GSXR 1000 (The bike that lit the afterburner on the liter class world)
2012 Monster 1100 Evo
2003 Yamaha YZFR6 (track only)

mmm... carbon fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by No One Ever
Awesome Prius!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to skwidrific Send a message via AIM to skwidrific  
Unread
  (#4)
Can't work my clutch!!

June 10, 2014, 11:44 AM

How's your battery look? I recall that airbag systems are sensitive to power levels in the battery. Maybe a fresh battery will get the light off?

15 Star Bolt R-Spec
09 600RR ABS
07 600RR
01 GSXR600
Any saturn mechanics in the area, or anyone familiar with airbag systems?
Unread
  (#5)
250 cc's of awesomeness

Any saturn mechanics in the area, or anyone familiar with airbag systems? - June 10, 2014, 12:01 PM

I had this problem about 10 years ago on my Jetta (electrical gremlins in that car).

I pulled the light out of the dash so it would pass inspection. I wound up wrecking it and the air bags deployed too.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

June 11, 2014, 06:58 AM

Lots of cars require a special reset for airbag lights after the part has been replaced. My m3 has a specific tool for this, and you have to do it any time you remove a seat or an airbag.

'02 SV-650S track bike (for sale, but in Shreveport, LA)
'05 Yamaha TTR-125L
'94 Dodge Viper RT/10
other boring stuff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to mangle  
Unread
  (#7)
Railing!

June 11, 2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidrific View Post
I'm no tech, as anyone here can attest, but have you gone by Autozone and used their OBDII reader? They'll let you use it for free, and you may be able to reset the code with it. I'm not 100% sure though...
I'll give it a try and see if I can get the light to reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyShoo View Post
How's your battery look? I recall that airbag systems are sensitive to power levels in the battery. Maybe a fresh battery will get the light off?
Battery is about a year old. I've also replaced the positive and negative leads recently due to a battle with corrosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXRider View Post
I had this problem about 10 years ago on my Jetta (electrical gremlins in that car).

I pulled the light out of the dash so it would pass inspection. I wound up wrecking it and the air bags deployed too.
If I can't solve the problem I will likely do the same. I would like to fix it properly and sell the car soon. The light has come and gone over the past several years. Before we were fortunate that the light would dissapear around inspection time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangle View Post
Lots of cars require a special reset for airbag lights after the part has been replaced. My m3 has a specific tool for this, and you have to do it any time you remove a seat or an airbag.

The only thing I've found online regarding this is remove the Airbag fuse, dissconect the battery, and wait 30 minutes. I have a feeling you are right and there is a little something else I need to do to get a proper reset. I'm going to start by givng the car more time while power is cut off.

2013 Hypermotard
1998 Superhawk