DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 550
3 members and 547 guests
GRN96WS6, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Backfiring...Overheating
Unread
  (#1)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

Backfiring...Overheating - April 9, 2008, 06:52 PM

98 GSXR 750.Problems started back in October when I replaced the CCT with a manual one.I unhooked a lot of stuff to take off the valve cover.Never ran right since.I was looking around inside yesterday and noticed two hoses going to one of the throttle bodies was pretty much severed.So I ripped off the tips and rehooked the hoses.Bike ran great for a while.After a while I could feel the engine getting hot.As I cruised in traffic with a steady throttle,the bike jerked.When I let off the throttle,it sounds like the bike is going to die then it backfires.

It does have a Power Commander although Ive never paid any attention to it.Could it be an issue? Too rich? Too lean? Also,could the cam chain have jumped a tooth? What are the symptoms if the timing is off.

No problems under acceleration.Pulls very strong.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, it’s like this…A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
What is a chicken strip?

April 10, 2008, 09:12 AM

sounds like an easy fix...bring it in we'll get ya fixed up
Unread
  (#3)

April 10, 2008, 05:48 PM

What shop? Im tired of dealing with it.

Well you see, Norm, it’s like this…A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#4)

April 10, 2008, 08:40 PM

Definitely an overheating problem.Runs great until I feel the warmth.No problems on the highway,but 20 minutes in traffic and Im busting off shots.

Unread
  (#5)
What is a chicken strip?

April 11, 2008, 02:31 PM

Im sorry man that wasnt a funny joke....I just said that cuz that is what all the shops say...
But I will tell you this:
The head mechanic at CHAMPION MOTORS is a guy by the name of TOBY...he is by far the best I have ever seen and has been doin it for like 18 years, I do all of my own work myself but If I took my bike anywhere it would be to that guy...

No offense to all the other shops reading this, I just dont have experience with ya'll...
Unread
  (#6)
What is a chicken strip?

April 11, 2008, 02:35 PM

Also if your timing was off you would know it....My guess is its somthing you have done in the past or just recently, I would check and double check all the work you have done before taking it to a shop...
Unread
  (#7)
Retired to most ...

April 11, 2008, 03:05 PM

Bring it down to me at Devil Dawg and I'll take a look at it for you.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#8)
Typical Stripper

April 11, 2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinjunkie
Im sorry man that wasnt a funny joke....I just said that cuz that is what all the shops say...

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)

April 16, 2008, 07:16 PM

Bike is dead.That is all.

Unread
  (#10)
Ling Long

April 16, 2008, 07:32 PM

I can give you a lift to RnR... Rick does great work and he'll get you running in no time! PM if you're interested.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#11)

April 24, 2008, 07:33 PM

So I charged the battery this evening and it ran for about 5 minutes before it died.During that time it sputtered and the lights flickered.I monitored the battery.It would go from 12.5 volts up to 13.6 volts,this usually corresponded with a sputter.I ordered a 2005 R/R off Ebay and hopefully it will be here by Monday.I'm taking a guess with the R/R being the culprit.Does it sound like it?

Unread
  (#12)

April 25, 2008, 07:50 PM

Anything besides the R/R I should eye?

Unread
  (#13)

April 25, 2008, 08:23 PM

Does a R/R fail completely or is it something that can go bad over time?

Unread
  (#14)
Bikeless... for now

April 25, 2008, 08:46 PM

Get in touch with BoomBoom929. He can get ya fixed up

My bike run's on snake oil.... thanks to BG.

'06 ZX-6R in blue
'93 Ninja EX500 (sold)
Unread
  (#15)

April 25, 2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New guy
Get in touch with BoomBoom929. He can get ya fixed up
Thanks,but Im the type that likes to do it myself.Im good at fixing...not so good at diagnosing.