DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 576
6 members and 570 guests
CCS762ZX6, davidcycle, Nobrains, ReasonableDoubt, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Band adjustment on auto trans?
Unread
  (#1)
My Chicken eats Busa's

Band adjustment on auto trans? - December 11, 2011, 01:21 PM

Anybody here done a band adjustment on an Expedition (2000)?

2003 Honda SuperHawk
No other bike needed. Already have SuperHawk

Click here for Brooks Cycles!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
The last urrbendah

December 11, 2011, 01:51 PM

Install the red powerband.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#3)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

December 11, 2011, 02:40 PM

Not an Expedition...but a Ford Ranger PU:

I have a Ford Ranger PU, w A/T. I bought it used. And I think the band adjustment went out on the original owners. And they got scared and decided to sell it. The truck was perfect, the price on the low side. Price seemed as suspicious, but put it on my friends lift, gave it the look over, all looked clean and green. So I bought it.

After awhile, I began to notice the shifts from 1-2, 2-3 got flaky & vague. I'm thinking the original owners freaked, fearing big repair bills and thought better to sell it. I bought it at 50,000 miles on the odometer. Today it has 180,000 & orig motor & trans have never been cracked open...to the best of my knowledge anyway.

I found that in traffic the shifts from 1-2 & 2-3 when in stop-n-go traffic were abrupt, or too sudden, or it might hang, then wham.. shift hard. It started throwing "OD transmission warning lights". After a few of these I took it to a local shop that supposedly had a good reputation. Hillmuth Automotive. I was told the transmission was 2 steps away from eating itself alive. And they woud install a new transmission for $3000. That was at 70,000 miles. Note that I'm at 180K now.

I started reading some of the Ford Ranger & Explorer forums. Found some similar issues. And then found a thread were there were complaints similar to mine. Asked questions, a Ford tech chimed in. And I decided that the low and high speed band adjustment might be off.

I made the adjustment & replaced the special gasketed screws, and it fixed 75% of the shifting problems I was having. I haven't had an OD warning light in a couple years. It will still shift kinda flaky in stop & go bumper to bumper traffic sometimes, but nowhere near as bad as it was. In normal driving it behaves like it should. Only in extended stop-n-go traffic will it exhibit any issue. It still remains a solid transmission. A month or so ago I dropped the AT pan to change the AT filter and no excessive debris was found. So its seems to be good.

So get the Ford shop manual, buy the new seal screws, and make the adjustment. You need (IIRC) an in-lb torque wrench. Chock the wheels. You will want to remove the Transmission selector to make that adjustment.

Hillmuth told me my trans was shot. Fuck them, they wanted nothing more than to milk a customers wallet. The truck runs and shifts mostly fine after I did the adjustment outlined in the Ford Ranger Service manual 100,000 + miles ago.

BTW.... my fourth successive Ford since 1988, includes two E150 vans (reg lg & stretch) & two Ranger PU's (one totalled by some dumbass who couldn't speak English).

Last edited by morsetaper2; December 11, 2011 at 07:00 PM..
Unread
  (#4)
My Chicken eats Busa's

December 13, 2011, 12:30 PM

Very informative, thank you! I'll go buy the manual today and see if that does it.

2003 Honda SuperHawk

Unread
  (#5)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

December 13, 2011, 01:04 PM

BTW.... I got the Factory Ford Shop manual on ebay at a fraction of new cost.
Unread
  (#6)
My Chicken eats Busa's

December 21, 2011, 07:40 AM

A quick update:

Did the band adjustment yesterday and replaced the fluid. WARNING: Expedition takes 16.5 Quarts of Tranny fluid, at $8.50/quart, that's $140!!

Anyways, she seemed to do well yesterday, but the real test is when the engine is cold. Got up this morning to take my littlest to school. She shifted very smoothly, with no hesitation whatsoever! I'm very happy that it was just a matter of adjustment. The fluid change was me just being picky about things.

Anyways, thanks for the advice everyone, crisis averted!

2003 Honda SuperHawk