DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 455
3 members and 452 guests
boomboom929, GRN96WS6, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Derpetologist
 
Posts: 6,270
Join Date: September 7, 2010
January 1, 2012, 01:14 PM

Today I installed the battery and the starter doesn't want to go. It turns slowly for a brief moment and quits. using my voltmeter, the battery is reading about 10.98 V sitting off the bike (after a failed starting attempt). Installed it's at about 10.7V. While cranking it drops to under 2V. The voltage drops rapidly while the electricals are on but returns to 10.7V when I switch everything off.

I'm pretty sure the battery is done but want a second opinion.

enjoy the weather today!


*Not intended to be a factual statement.

Last edited by Rail; January 1, 2012 at 05:32 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
Licensed Rider
 
legendindisguise's Avatar
 
Posts: 110
Join Date: November 20, 2008
Location: MD
January 1, 2012, 01:36 PM

Yes, battery is done.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
On vacation
 
RileysDad's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,976
Join Date: June 17, 2008
Location: Rockville, MD
January 1, 2012, 06:44 PM

Yep, its done. A 12V battery should be reading between 12.5-13V sitting.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ
 
nootherids's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,660
Join Date: January 12, 2011
Location: Woodbridge, VA
January 1, 2012, 07:59 PM

@OP ... You didn't mention the life of the battery. Just recently my car had been out of commission for nearly 8 months. Obviously when I tried starting it back up the battery was "dead". I plugged it onto a battery charger and it did not want to hold a charge. I tried a few different settings after like 2 days of trying and it finally decided to work (I forget which setting it was). And it has been working strong for months now.

Also, my motorcycle battery has died on me 3 times this year. Each time I jump start it with a running car and after that it works solid for months.

Just saying that you shouldn't declare the battery a loss too easily. But I'm no expert and both my batteries are fairly new at less than 2-3 years old.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
Derpetologist
 
Posts: 6,270
Join Date: September 7, 2010
January 1, 2012, 08:17 PM

yeah I edited out the backstory cause I was rambling a bit lol. Don't know the age, but my battery had run down a couple months ago. Threw it on the tender and was able to crank the bike up. I've been keeping it inside and sticking it on the tender once a week since. And then nothing today. So jumping from a car got your battery back in order where charging didn't? Interesting...

I have the battery tender junior, no settings. Red light for charging, green light for charged. Haven't tried jumping it... Assumed there was no use in it.


*Not intended to be a factual statement.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
On vacation
 
RileysDad's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,976
Join Date: June 17, 2008
Location: Rockville, MD
January 1, 2012, 08:27 PM

I'm pretty sure that if you've pulled the battery out after riding and its been sitting ever since, its shot. If fully "charged," it shouldn't lose juice all by itself. David raised a good point though, if its been hooked up to the bike and not used, it will by nature draw power even if you haven't used it. Same goes for your cordless power tools and anything else battery powered.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ
 
nootherids's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,660
Join Date: January 12, 2011
Location: Woodbridge, VA
January 1, 2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail View Post
yeah I edited out the backstory cause I was rambling a bit lol. Don't know the age, but my battery had run down a couple months ago. Threw it on the tender and was able to crank the bike up. I've been keeping it inside and sticking it on the tender once a week since. And then nothing today. So jumping from a car got your battery back in order where charging didn't? Interesting...

I have the battery tender junior, no settings. Red light for charging, green light for charged. Haven't tried jumping it... Assumed there was no use in it.
No no, I put the car's battery on charger after it was sitting for 8 months.

I jumped the MC battery with the car a couple of times. I've never put the MC battery on charger or tender. But the car battery will jump the MC battery almost immediately. So if that doesn't work then the battery is definitely dead. Just remember that the bike needs to run at least at 4-5k RPM's or more on road travel to have the battery maintain that charge after it's turned off. Also, some people have warned of frying the MC electronics when linking it to a car battery. I had no problem with it but just putting out a disclaimer to avoid liability.

P.S. I'm David
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
SRWJTS Media and Safety
 
Camelhumps's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,822
Join Date: February 15, 2011
January 1, 2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
No no, I put the car's battery on charger after it was sitting for 8 months.

I jumped the MC battery with the car a couple of times. I've never put the MC battery on charger or tender. But the car battery will jump the MC battery almost immediately. So if that doesn't work then the battery is definitely dead. Just remember that the bike needs to run at least at 4-5k RPM's or more on road travel to have the battery maintain that charge after it's turned off. Also, some people have warned of frying the MC electronics when linking it to a car battery. I had no problem with it but just putting out a disclaimer to avoid liability.

P.S. I'm David
I've jumped my bike a couple times with a car battery while the car was NOT running. A buddy of mine jumped his with the car running and it was no good. I would suggest doing it without the car running.


'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

XBOX - cameihumps
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
whoa preppy......
 
Scot's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,064
Join Date: May 19, 2005
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
January 1, 2012, 09:25 PM

less than 2V is ok. You just need 6 or 7 more batteries.


2016 Concours 1400
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
Derpetologist
 
Posts: 6,270
Join Date: September 7, 2010
January 1, 2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
No no, I put the car's battery on charger after it was sitting for 8 months.
lol word, my reading comprehension is on holiday.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelhumps View Post
I've jumped my bike a couple times with a car battery while the car was NOT running. A buddy of mine jumped his with the car running and it was no good. I would suggest doing it without the car running.
thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
less than 2V is ok. You just need 6 or 7 more batteries.


*Not intended to be a factual statement.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.