DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 455
3 members and 452 guests
boomboom929, GRN96WS6, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Derpetologist

January 1, 2012, 01:14 PM

Today I installed the battery and the starter doesn't want to go. It turns slowly for a brief moment and quits. using my voltmeter, the battery is reading about 10.98 V sitting off the bike (after a failed starting attempt). Installed it's at about 10.7V. While cranking it drops to under 2V. The voltage drops rapidly while the electricals are on but returns to 10.7V when I switch everything off.

I'm pretty sure the battery is done but want a second opinion.

enjoy the weather today!

*Not intended to be a factual statement.

Last edited by Rail; January 1, 2012 at 05:32 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Licensed Rider

January 1, 2012, 01:36 PM

Yes, battery is done.
Unread
  (#3)
On vacation

January 1, 2012, 06:44 PM

Yep, its done. A 12V battery should be reading between 12.5-13V sitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

January 1, 2012, 07:59 PM

@OP ... You didn't mention the life of the battery. Just recently my car had been out of commission for nearly 8 months. Obviously when I tried starting it back up the battery was "dead". I plugged it onto a battery charger and it did not want to hold a charge. I tried a few different settings after like 2 days of trying and it finally decided to work (I forget which setting it was). And it has been working strong for months now.

Also, my motorcycle battery has died on me 3 times this year. Each time I jump start it with a running car and after that it works solid for months.

Just saying that you shouldn't declare the battery a loss too easily. But I'm no expert and both my batteries are fairly new at less than 2-3 years old.
Unread
  (#5)
Derpetologist

January 1, 2012, 08:17 PM

yeah I edited out the backstory cause I was rambling a bit lol. Don't know the age, but my battery had run down a couple months ago. Threw it on the tender and was able to crank the bike up. I've been keeping it inside and sticking it on the tender once a week since. And then nothing today. So jumping from a car got your battery back in order where charging didn't? Interesting...

I have the battery tender junior, no settings. Red light for charging, green light for charged. Haven't tried jumping it... Assumed there was no use in it.

Unread
  (#6)
On vacation

January 1, 2012, 08:27 PM

I'm pretty sure that if you've pulled the battery out after riding and its been sitting ever since, its shot. If fully "charged," it shouldn't lose juice all by itself. David raised a good point though, if its been hooked up to the bike and not used, it will by nature draw power even if you haven't used it. Same goes for your cordless power tools and anything else battery powered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

January 1, 2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail View Post
yeah I edited out the backstory cause I was rambling a bit lol. Don't know the age, but my battery had run down a couple months ago. Threw it on the tender and was able to crank the bike up. I've been keeping it inside and sticking it on the tender once a week since. And then nothing today. So jumping from a car got your battery back in order where charging didn't? Interesting...

I have the battery tender junior, no settings. Red light for charging, green light for charged. Haven't tried jumping it... Assumed there was no use in it.
No no, I put the car's battery on charger after it was sitting for 8 months.

I jumped the MC battery with the car a couple of times. I've never put the MC battery on charger or tender. But the car battery will jump the MC battery almost immediately. So if that doesn't work then the battery is definitely dead. Just remember that the bike needs to run at least at 4-5k RPM's or more on road travel to have the battery maintain that charge after it's turned off. Also, some people have warned of frying the MC electronics when linking it to a car battery. I had no problem with it but just putting out a disclaimer to avoid liability.

P.S. I'm David
Unread
  (#8)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

January 1, 2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post

I jumped the MC battery with the car a couple of times. I've never put the MC battery on charger or tender. But the car battery will jump the MC battery almost immediately. So if that doesn't work then the battery is definitely dead. Just remember that the bike needs to run at least at 4-5k RPM's or more on road travel to have the battery maintain that charge after it's turned off. Also, some people have warned of frying the MC electronics when linking it to a car battery. I had no problem with it but just putting out a disclaimer to avoid liability.

P.S. I'm David
I've jumped my bike a couple times with a car battery while the car was NOT running. A buddy of mine jumped his with the car running and it was no good. I would suggest doing it without the car running.

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

XBOX - cameihumps
Unread
  (#9)
whoa preppy......

January 1, 2012, 09:25 PM

less than 2V is ok. You just need 6 or 7 more batteries.

2016 Concours 1400
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Derpetologist

January 1, 2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
lol word, my reading comprehension is on holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelhumps View Post
I've jumped my bike a couple times with a car battery while the car was NOT running. A buddy of mine jumped his with the car running and it was no good. I would suggest doing it without the car running.
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
less than 2V is ok. You just need 6 or 7 more batteries.