DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 506
3 members and 503 guests
GRN96WS6, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Battery drainage
Unread
  (#1)
Chupathingy?

Battery drainage - June 23, 2007, 09:31 PM

So here I am riding around, and I look down at the speedo and see that its blank!?
THe battery will not hold a charge, had the gf come out with the cage, charge the bike, and went on our way. 15 miles later, it died again. The Battery won't hld a charge. Would this be a battery problem or more? All the fuses are there and good, as far as I can tell I have found everything. Bad stator maybe? R/R?

PM me if your in H'Town, MD.
"Can't we go faster?.... Even if we rub cheetah blood on the engines?" -Phillip J. Fry

Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Sith4Brains Send a message via Yahoo to Sith4Brains Send a message via AIM to Sith4Brains Send a message via Skype™ to Sith4Brains 
Unread
  (#2)
Derpentine Dealer

June 23, 2007, 09:33 PM

See WildJester's breakfast ride thread. I posted off-topic there.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

June 24, 2007, 08:29 AM

Check and clean all your battery connections. Clean the battery terminals real good and how old is the battery?

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#4)
Derpentine Dealer

June 24, 2007, 09:44 AM

With a car, you can get a definitive answer to whether the alternator is dead by disconnecting the ground cable from your battery while the car is running. If it keeps running, then the juice to run it is coming from the alternator. If it dies, then the juice was coming from your battery, which is no longer connected. I have not tried this on a bike and don't know if the wiring is similar enough for this test to work. When I lube my chain today, I'll try it and see because I know that both my battery and stator are good.

Will let you know.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#5)
Chupathingy?

June 24, 2007, 11:09 AM

I get lights, but no joy when it cranks over this morning. Again, I can jump it from the car, or just let it sit on her battery for a bit, and its ok, but not for long.

"Can't we go faster?.... Even if we rub cheetah blood on the engines?" -Phillip J. Fry

Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Sith4Brains Send a message via Yahoo to Sith4Brains Send a message via AIM to Sith4Brains Send a message via Skype™ to Sith4Brains 
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

June 24, 2007, 11:46 AM

Pull the battery out and have it tested at advanced auto they will do it for free. Cycle batterys tend to fail, if you let them drain out all the time. If you find that it is the battery thats toast buy a battery tender aswell as a new battery. That way you can keep your bike fully charged while it sits. This will make your new battery last a loooooooooooooooong time.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

June 24, 2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith4Brains
I get lights, but no joy when it cranks over this morning. Again, I can jump it from the car, or just let it sit on her battery for a bit, and its ok, but not for long.
It takes more current to engage the starter than the lights.
Unread
  (#8)
Chupathingy?

June 24, 2007, 12:31 PM

Well, Advanced doesnt have the batery I need, Autozone does, and can still test. We'll see what happens from here. r/r is new (old stock), and the stator I believe is in good shape. No wires or fuses are bad, but I did cut my fingers a few times today so far.
God i hope this works.