DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 550
1 members and 549 guests
beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Bike dead after rain ride.
Unread
  (#1)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

Bike dead after rain ride. - June 23, 2009, 05:56 PM

Background....I have a cheap $20 cover from WalMart and it's not waterproof.So after it rains,my bike would run crappy for about 5 minutes then clear up.It would sound like a 2-stroke.

This past Saturday,it started to pour on my way to work.It started the usual 2-stroke sound as I got to work and I parked it.

After I get off work,I get on my bike and the starter just goes on and on and on.....

I used The Google and I found a couple posts that mentioned that there could be water around the spark plugs.After I get off tomorrow that will be the first thing I check.

This is an SRAD and it's a streetfighter now.So it has the huge openings in the front of the frame to the airbox,could water have been sucked in? Would it still be an issue 3 days later if some rain got past the air filter?

Any other ideas?

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Say Jur Oh

June 23, 2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H5OH View Post
Background....I have a cheap $20 cover from WalMart and it's not waterproof.So after it rains,my bike would run crappy for about 5 minutes then clear up.It would sound like a 2-stroke.

This past Saturday,it started to pour on my way to work.It started the usual 2-stroke sound as I got to work and I parked it.

After I get off work,I get on my bike and the starter just goes on and on and on.....
Does the cranking sound like it should, it just never catches? Or is there just a whirr?

Quote:
I used The Google and I found a couple posts that mentioned that there could be water around the spark plugs.After I get off tomorrow that will be the first thing I check.
Yeah it could be a dead misfire. If you have a garage, the easiest way to spot that is to crank the bike in the dark. You'll see the light show if it's arcing somewhere other than the electrodes on the plugs.

Quote:
This is an SRAD and it's a streetfighter now.So it has the huge openings in the front of the frame to the airbox,could water have been sucked in? Would it still be an issue 3 days later if some rain got past the air filter?

Any other ideas?
The kind of water you'd get in an engine from riding in the rain isn't going to hurt anything. You're either getting water in the gas, water causing a misfire, or water is getting in to something else and preventing it from working leading to a fueling (if it's fuel injected) or ignition issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#3)
TPG - screw face

June 24, 2009, 11:39 AM

check ur gas cap...water may have seeped into ur tank. With a crappy cover, that is now soaking wet and stuck to your tank, i'm sure water is getting in through ur gas cap. Water in the tank, repeatedly, leads to rusting inside the tank...when that rust starts to break off and chip away...it will lead to clogged injectors, fuel filter, etc etc....please - ask me how i know....

water may have caused a short..usually around the starter relay or that big plug at the front of the bike...on mine it's yellow...there is also a small green one...check those.

water usually does get into only one spark plug hole...because the bike is on a kickstand...so it's not uncommon to find one spark plug with rust or corrosion on it....but it should not be getting past the nut.

All of the above are previous posts and remedies on .net. The spark plug one is mine and i even posted pics. We have the same bike. Mine is like yours, fightered....and rain water getting in through the SRAD locations won't harm the bike...unless you are doing wheelies in hurricanes....or riding under water.

oh...and also - go to any Uhaul place and get the orange tarp for $10 - it's everything proof that's what i use.

Last edited by Oneway; June 24, 2009 at 11:45 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to