DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 484
0 members and 484 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Brake Lever Soft
Unread
  (#1)
turn or crash....

Brake Lever Soft - May 5, 2013, 05:02 PM

CRF250R Front brake lever fairly soft and squishy....

Bled the brakes, helped a little but not much. Rebuilt the Master Cylinder today in hopes that it was going, well that might have helped a teeny bit, but they definitely feel pretty soft compared to my other bikes. Could it be the caliper? or maybe the lines? I have new pads on so it's not travel or anything. The bike stops fine, I just would like a firmer lever feel.

Update: Everthing in the pic was replaced (piston, two seals, C-Clip, washer, spring and boot)

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX

Last edited by djkouza; May 5, 2013 at 05:54 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

May 5, 2013, 05:13 PM

I know of the "worlds best mechanic but I can not recommended him as I am just a lachey!" Bleed them again but push fluild from the bottom up with a syringe instead.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

May 5, 2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkouza View Post
CRF250R Front brake lever fairly soft and squishy....

Bled the brakes, helped a little but not much. Rebuilt the Master Cylinder today in hopes that it was going, well that might have helped a teeny bit, but they definitely feel pretty soft compared to my other bikes. Could it be the caliper? or maybe the lines? I have new pads on so it's not travel or anything. The bike stops fine, I just would like a firmer lever feel.
Did u replace the rubber Diaphragm?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

99 CBR 600 F4 "Black Betty"
05 CBR 600 RR (Stolen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
yes .net is serious business, we only talk about bikes and bike related things EVAH!
* Disclaimer - Bad Speller
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
turn or crash....

May 5, 2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_Jumper View Post
I know of the "worlds best mechanic but I can not recommended him as I am just a lachey!" Bleed them again but push fluild from the bottom up with a syringe instead.
I'll have to get a syringe and try that, any reason why that would work better than standard bleeding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo View Post
Did u replace the rubber Diaphragm?
Updated OP with picture, basically I replaced all the pieces in the pic. (note pic is the original pieces) I made sure the seals were facing the same direction as the ones that came out too.

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#5)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

May 5, 2013, 06:07 PM

Perhaps you still have an air bubble in the lines. That could result in the spongy feel pretty easily.

Pushing from the bottom up means you might push the bubble up and out from the caliper. I had this issue literally yesterday on my rear brake for my 300. I ended up flushing the lines completely, then running through most of a bottle of brake fluid. I got a ton if gunk out and once the fluid cleared up nicely I went through crack bleeding it and it firmed right up.

Can you see any sections where air might catch? Line them up and tap everything with a screwdriver handle. Try to dislodge any possible air bubbles. Just a thought. You've done much more than I ever have for problem brake lines.

Mud

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#6)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

May 5, 2013, 06:50 PM

Also try creaking open the banjo bolts while pump bleeding. Sometimes air gets trapped right in that union area.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#7)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

May 5, 2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
Also try creaking open the banjo bolts while pump bleeding. Sometimes air gets trapped right in that union area.
Cracking dammit cracking.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#8)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

May 5, 2013, 07:30 PM

Brakes are the simplest system on a bike. If they're squishy,it's air in the lines.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

May 5, 2013, 08:23 PM

Also check the banjo bolt for cracks. I had that issuue before from galfer

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

99 CBR 600 F4 "Black Betty"
05 CBR 600 RR (Stolen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
yes .net is serious business, we only talk about bikes and bike related things EVAH!
* Disclaimer - Bad Speller
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

May 6, 2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H5OH View Post
Brakes are the simplest system on a bike. If they're squishy,it's air in the lines.
Not necessarily. Could be worn out/contaminated fluid, worn out lines or even a master cylinder poorly matched to the caliper, etc. The generation of KX250 I've got is known to have a lousy master cylinder. It's on my to do list to replace it but I don't really need more braking power at the moment. I actually prefer brakes that are not excessively sensitive. I'll probably replace it before I do the budds thing though.
Unread
  (#11)

May 6, 2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
Not necessarily. Could be worn out/contaminated fluid, worn out lines or even a master cylinder poorly matched to the caliper, etc. The generation of KX250 I've got is known to have a lousy master cylinder. It's on my to do list to replace it but I don't really need more braking power at the moment. I actually prefer brakes that are not excessively sensitive. I'll probably replace it before I do the budds thing though.
Once you go to Brembos and 1 finger braking with little effort you won't settle for anything else. I was like you before. But the ability to get massive braking without having to use both hands and 1 foot on the front brakes is well worth it.

Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

May 6, 2013, 06:24 AM

Part of my issue may be hands that go "dead" so there's no sensory feedback. I can't tell if I'm squeezing hard or not. Since the surgery last year my right hand doesn't go dead any more so maybe I could handle a more sensitive front brake. For the rear of the KX I actually put a monster spring to keep me from overdoing it as I have a tendency to lock up the rear unintentionally.
Unread
  (#13)

May 6, 2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
Part of my issue may be hands that go "dead" so there's no sensory feedback. I can't tell if I'm squeezing hard or not. Since the surgery last year my right hand doesn't go dead any more so maybe I could handle a more sensitive front brake. For the rear of the KX I actually put a monster spring to keep me from overdoing it as I have a tendency to lock up the rear unintentionally.
And here I would adjust the lever to come on a bit lower. Of course I have a cheat with the autoclutch on my dirtbike. So YMMV.

Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

May 6, 2013, 07:04 AM

In the dictionary next to ham-fisted is a picture of me. This applies to my feet as well. I've adjusted the rear brake down before too but thought I'd try the spring trick this time. I've still got to get used to it/decide if I want to keep it this way.
Unread
  (#15)
Mohawk Ryderz Prez

May 6, 2013, 08:08 AM

I have done all those extra above said, come to find out the front rotor was mess up on the 04 gsxr 600. Smh what a waste of my time.

www.MohawkRyderz.com
http://www.Facebook.com/MohawkRyderz
http://www.twitter.com/MohawkRyderz

2012 zx10r
2004 Cbr1000rr black - Sold
2006 R1 anniversary edition - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 red/blk - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 flat Green/Silver - Sold
2007 Gsxr 600 flat blk/pink - wifey's Sold
2004 Yamaha R1 Black Sold
2003 Hayabusa orange Sold
2006 zx6r blk mobile jukebox (contest winner-hater's bike)Sold