DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 549
3 members and 546 guests
GRN96WS6, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
brake pads
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

brake pads - August 27, 2007, 08:46 AM

I'm in need of new brake pads for my 04 R6 but have no idea what to get. I was hoping some of you guys or girls could recommend a set of pads. I'm looking for a quality set of pads with good feedback and feel. Something that stops well but is not too aggressive. These are not going on a track bike.

I've also have a question about different types of pads. I've found several pads but I'm stuck on the warnings...."NOTE: NEVER USE SINTERED BRAKE PADS IN BRAKE CALIPERS ORIGINALLY EQUIPPED WITH NON-SINTERED BRAKE PADS. Check your owners manual to see if sintered metal brakes were OEM equipment on your motorcycle".

I don't know if my OEM pads are sintered or not and I couldn't find anything in my owner's or repair manuals. What is the difference and why can't I use them if the bike didn't come with them in the fist place? Thanks
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to mocheezz  
Unread
  (#2)
Derpentine Dealer

August 27, 2007, 09:51 AM

You might be able to find out what OEM pads your bike had by searching through the fiche at ronayers.com or bikebandit.com.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
#swag

August 27, 2007, 10:15 AM

Any HH pads should be good for the street..

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#4)
PewPew

August 27, 2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFORC1
Any HH pads should be good for the street..
+1 EBC makes good HH pads.

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Unread
  (#5)
opossum puncher

August 27, 2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaGhost
+1 EBC makes good HH pads.

Booo, Hisssss.

EBCs are the worst HH pads you can get for your bike. EBCs are famous for building up and giving off far more dust than comparable brands which sticks around the pistons of the calipers, ruins seals and causes the pistons to stick (leading to break fade and caliper seizure) I can personally attest to this, and was informed by several mechanics and CRs that this is very common for EBC and why they reccomend other pads.

Go with Galfer, Ferodo, Stock pads, Carbone Loraine, vesrah street compound, etc.

I will never go back to EBC.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#6)
#swag

August 27, 2007, 10:55 AM

FWIW - I run Carbone Lorraine's SBK3's in my bike, and ran ferodo CP911's before with my stock calipers.. Both are good pads.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#7)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

August 27, 2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool
Booo, Hisssss.

EBCs are the worst HH pads you can get for your bike. EBCs are famous for building up and giving off far more dust than comparable brands which sticks around the pistons of the calipers, ruins seals and causes the pistons to stick (leading to break fade and caliper seizure) I can personally attest to this, and was informed by several mechanics and CRs that this is very common for EBC and why they reccomend other pads.

Go with Galfer, Ferodo, Stock pads, Carbone Loraine, vesrah street compound, etc.

Dawm I have been running EBC for years and never had anything go wrong! I also maintain my calipers and clean the seals but anywho. Hell I even run EBC on my truck and no dust nor caliper problems.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

August 27, 2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Booo, Hisssss.

Never had a problem.... Current set front has 15,000 miles rear set has about 32,000 miles. I have run them on everything.
Unread
  (#9)
opossum puncher

August 27, 2007, 11:14 AM

Compounds on motorcycle pads and car/truck pads are vastly different, compounds are also different depending on which pad (Green, Red, HH+).

I had only put about 8,000 miles on the EBCs when the right caliper locked. I talked to the CRs and they told me EBC HH+ pads were famous for it. As did a couple of mechanics I talked to.

If you pull your calipers and use brake clean every so often Im sure the problem can be avoided, however I dont.

Up untill the caliper locked I though the EBC HH+ were great, great initial bite compared to stock, and good feel.

However I am now running Vesrah pads and they are profoundly better, a bit less initial bite (only when cold) amazing progressive braking feel and power. They do not apply to this case though because they are track oriented pads.

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#10)
PewPew

August 27, 2007, 11:20 AM

Vesrah pads are nearly $100 and not needed on the street. And incidently my buddy just changed his brakes on his R1 to Vesrahs's this weekend at VIR and his locked up and warped his front left rotor... it's not the pads that do it, it's a poorly maintained caliper.

EBC pads are fine, I've run them for a while now without problems on seevral bikes. I would not recommend them for the track however. I use Galfer parts only for my track shenannigans

Unread
  (#11)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

August 27, 2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Compounds on motorcycle pads and car/truck pads are vastly different, compounds are also different depending on which pad (Green, Red, HH+).

I had only put about 8,000 miles on the EBCs when the right caliper locked. I talked to the CRs and they told me EBC HH+ pads were famous for it. As did a couple of mechanics I talked to.

If you pull your calipers and use brake clean every so often Im sure the problem can be avoided, however I dont.

Up untill the caliper locked I though the EBC HH+ were great, great initial bite compared to stock, and good feel.

However I am now running Vesrah pads and they are profoundly better, a bit less initial bite (only when cold) amazing progressive braking feel and power. They do not apply to this case though because they are track oriented pads.
Well I guess I should ask then are you 100% certain the pads did this? Not just cause someone that know of someone said this. I am just wondering cause I have never heard of one type of pad from only one manufacture to do this. I have seen some very poor prevenative maintance that leads up tp problems that are blamed on something that could have been avoided if the owner had just maintained his or her bike. Not saying you didn't but I am wondering what really caused this? Also you really shouldn't use brakeclean on rubber seals cause overtime they will erode away.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#12)
got barrier?

August 27, 2007, 11:47 AM

what about Galfer HH for the street?!

DUCATI MONSTER
rubber ducky?!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dubplaya  
Unread
  (#13)
opossum puncher

August 27, 2007, 11:48 AM

I did not do preventative maintenance that would have prevented the brake fade, it was an item that I could have prevented by cleaning and maintaining my calipers. When I rebuilt the calipers I noticed an inordinate amount of brake dust that had accumulated around the caliper pistons, over time they resulted in the pistons seizing in the caliper. I ended up having to replace the calipers becaues the pistions had been scored.

The CRs I talked to said that EBC HH+ pads were known for giving off significantly more dust than other pads. The mechanics at FFC (Casey at the time) said he had replaced calipers for the same problem and that he blamed the EBC HH+ pads.

Why would you be surprised about one specific pad from one specific manufacture producing more dust than a comparable pad from another vendor. There are actually advertisements for "low dust" car brake pads.

EBC has also changed their HH+ compound since I bought them, apparently they now have HH+ street and HH+ race. Back when I got mine (4 years ago) they only had one compound. Its possible they have addressed and corrected the problem by now.

Can I be 100% certain, nope. Just based on my experience and similar horror stories from CRs and Mechanics. Once bitten twice shy.

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!

Last edited by zx6rfool; August 27, 2007 at 11:50 AM..
Unread
  (#14)
PewPew

August 27, 2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplaya
what about Galfer HH for the street?!
Galfer makes high quality stuff, generally I only drop my $ on Galfer for my track bikes, but honestly you can't go wrong with any pad on the street as long as you take care of your calipers. some people just don't seem to understand these are high performance machines which means they require high maint. A clean caliper is a must or you'll end up ruining your rotors and new brake pads.

Unread
  (#15)
got barrier?

August 27, 2007, 11:54 AM

recommended chemical/way to clean caliper?

like dodge said, brake cleaner eats seals over time

DUCATI MONSTER
rubber ducky?!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dubplaya