DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 454
0 members and 454 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Brake parts help
Unread
  (#1)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

Brake parts help - October 8, 2011, 03:12 PM

So ive never really had to deal with replacing brake pads, rotors etc since ive never really kept a bike longer than needing to. However, my currrent 06 zx636 has about 22k miles on it and I think its time for me to replace the pads. I havnt started hearing any squeeking yet and really no difference in breaking (maybe a little more spongy), but i pulled out hte pads and they look pretty thin. Im not really aggressive when it comes to breaking but I am afraid that I have damaged the rotors, as it seems that quite a bit of scoring has occurred. Ive never dealt with this, so im not sure if what i am noticing on the rotors are normal. Basically, there are groves (plenty of them), but not too deep. My rear rotor has them too, but just a lot less, but i rarely use the rear brakes, so im not sure if thats just how they are? Also, the break pads seem smooth, with little to no scoring. There is also a lip on the edge of the rotors, is this normal? all of them have it Attached are some pictures, incase it can help somehow.

Basically, im about to buy new pads, so im wondering if i need to replace the rotors while im at it. Thanks

IMAG0192..jpg

IMAG0193..jpg

IMAG0194..jpg

IMAG0195..jpg

IMAG0197..jpg
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Licensed Rider

October 8, 2011, 03:31 PM

Last edited by 2FAST4U; May 27, 2013 at 05:18 PM..
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer

October 8, 2011, 04:00 PM

Yep. The only way you're gonna damage the rotors is by running the pads down so bad that bare metals starts riding on the rotor. Or you could have a brake dragging and heat it up really hot such that it warps. Either way, you'll know because the consequences are obvious and noticeable.

If you are really concerned about the wear of your rotors, you need to measure the thickness with a vernier caliper. Your service manual will provide the rotor specs. Too thin = replace. Not too thin = do nothing.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.

Last edited by OrangeShirtDude; October 8, 2011 at 04:03 PM..
Unread
  (#4)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

October 8, 2011, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the responses! Makes sense. There is clearly enough pad left where no metal would scrape. Im not too worried about the rotors, but i figured id make sure before i shell out 500 bones. For now, pads will suffice!
Unread
  (#5)
Licensed Rider

October 8, 2011, 08:19 PM

Small stones will get caught in the brake pads at time and will cause the scoring you see on the rotor. The pads will conform with no issue.

So many toys, so little time
'09 Ducati 1198S
'05 Corvette
'97 Mastercraft
Unread
  (#6)
unapologetic

October 8, 2011, 10:05 PM

Should be good with just pads from the look of things. Don't forget to wipe the rotors down really well with some brake cleaner if you can. Removing all of the old dust and debris will help the new pads to bed in cleanly and evenly without the old pad residue. Don't forget to scrub the pads in slowly in a parking lot or empty neighborhood street. Exchange your brake fluid while you are at it and give the calipers a good scrub down from all of the dust and build up. If you are feeling handy, scrub those caliper pistons and get the slides thoroughly squared away.

And paint your garage floor while you are at it.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#7)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

October 9, 2011, 01:04 PM

haha i wish i could say that is my garage, unfortunately its my front porch!