DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 566
1 members and 565 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
That-boy-wonder

May 24, 2010, 02:35 PM

Okay, I have a 01 Gsxr 750 and I had the same problem last year. My brakes (front) work fine and all of a sudden they get "snatchy", I can slowly apply pressure and it feels like nothing is happening and all of a sudden they grab and make the bike dive. Any suggestion or clues to whats going on, last year I took them apart, checked my pads, cleaned the calipers, and completely changed the fluid and now its starting to do it again.

01 GSXR-750 - tracked by "udntno235"
07 GSXR-750 (New hotness!!)

RIP: Angie "A-Boogie" Johnson
12.15.82 - 8.2.10

Metafor Enterprises, LLC
http://www.metafor.com
http://shop.metafor.com

-"I'll cut you too short to shit"-
-"Only God can control my destiny, so I'm rolling on and looking thru the next turn"-

Last edited by datboii1der; May 24, 2010 at 04:13 PM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
STAY ON THE BIKE.........

May 25, 2010, 03:12 PM

not saying this is the answer..but from the sound of it grabbing sometimes and other times u feel nothing and then it grabs..it sounds like to me you may have warped rotor and the pads dont touch on the warp but then grab at other parts of the rotor...or did u replace ur caliper because you may have your caliper pistons sticking
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Elite Racing

May 25, 2010, 03:16 PM

Dirty brake pistons not retracting?

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
Unread
  (#4)
STAY ON THE BIKE.........

May 25, 2010, 03:44 PM

yea that is a def possibility..thats one of the things i suggested to check cuz that would def cause that to do what its doing..even if its only one of them
Unread
  (#5)
That-boy-wonder

May 25, 2010, 08:25 PM

So I would need to shoot the pistons out with arid what you are telling me...correct?

12.15.82 - 8.2.10

Metafor Enterprises, LLC

-"Only God can control my destiny, so I'm rolling on and looking thru the next turn"-
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

May 25, 2010, 08:53 PM

Snatchy as in pulsing? Rotors.

Snatchy as in once they start to grab they grab abruptly and hard? Calipers. If the pistons are sticky they don't always respond as you start to apply the brake. Then when enough pressure builds to get them to move they force the pads onto the rotor in an abrupt fashion.

I'm sure there are other possibilities as well.

Didn't you just reassemble your calipers recently after getting them Powder coated?
Unread
  (#7)
That-boy-wonder

May 25, 2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown
Snatchy as in pulsing? Rotors.

Snatchy as in once they start to grab they grab abruptly and hard? Calipers. If the pistons are sticky they don't always respond as you start to apply the brake. Then when enough pressure builds to get them to move they force the pads onto the rotor in an abrupt fashion.

I'm sure there are other possibilities as well.

Didn't you just reassemble your calipers recently after getting them Powder coated?
It's the later of your statement..., no I am talking about the calipers that are currently on the bike... The powdercoated calipers haven't been installed yet because I do not have the funds to orderly breaklines yet.

12.15.82 - 8.2.10

Metafor Enterprises, LLC

Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

May 26, 2010, 07:03 AM

I read about a guy having a similar problem (brakes were fine at first, but would gradually drag harder and harder as he rode) and the recommendation was a master cylinder rebuild.

Supposedly the orifice from the MC to the reservoir was somehow blocked, keeping the fluid from being able to expand into the reservoir when the pads heated it up. This caused the expanding fluid to push the pads out of the calipers without anyone squeezing the brake lever.

Does that make sense?
Unread
  (#9)
Derpentine Dealer

May 26, 2010, 07:26 AM

You might have fork oil, brake fluid, or some other petroleum-based contamination on the pads and/or rotor. Check the fork seals to make sure they aren't leaking. Then scrub the rotors with dish soap and a sponge, preferably with the wheel removed. Then check the pads for anything noticeable on the surfaces. You might need to replace those pads, even if they look ok. This is the cheapest, easiest course of action to start with. Maybe you can even borrow someone else's pads to try after cleaning those rotors (not before).

One test is to apply the brakes at slow speed, like walking speed until they stop the bike. Oily pads will squawk a little. They definitely will not bite right away and then grab kinda hard.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#10)
That-boy-wonder

June 14, 2010, 01:46 PM

Finally broke down the brakes to investigate my problem. And as you can see in the pic my pistons were FILTHY!!!! I can definitely see why they were seizing on me.

Put the newly built calipers and pads on, blead the brakes and took it for a little spin. I did the recommended 50-75 miles of easy riding and braking to brake the pads in and unleashed on these Arkansas roads. I would say I have ridden this route about 10 times since I been here and know the turns in my sleep and was set up perfectly for it. I came out of the 6th turn a little hot so I started trail braking into number 7 (a sharp decreasing radius turn to the left) and I was ready to lean but thought I was to fast, hit the brakes slightly real quick and my first OH SHIT moment since I first got on the bike...my brakes work again!!!! And thank God I didn't eat the pavement and guardrail!!!
Attached Images
File Type: png image-3794063313.png (152.6 KB, 42 views)

12.15.82 - 8.2.10

Metafor Enterprises, LLC

Unread
  (#11)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

July 21, 2010, 03:22 PM

that's an easy fix, also watch the brake lines, a buddies older bike had old brake lines, the insides had started to deteriorate and so what happens is when you break the line slightly expands then collapses so it doesn't release pressure and they eventually seize up completely.