DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 553
3 members and 550 guests
2blueyam, amit, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Brembo Master Cylinder Install Ordeal!
Unread
  (#1)
Nubbs ban yourself!

Brembo Master Cylinder Install Ordeal! - July 24, 2009, 08:04 AM

I ordered this brembo master cylinder after nrcooled awesome review from the same person he got his from. http://www.oppracing.com/show_produc...tandard-lever/

I got it from the post office yesterday and lastnight drained my system, removed the old master cylinder and mounted the brembo.
First thing I noticed was that the reservoir line was too big and even with the clamp it would easily pull off.
The next was that the location of the banjo bolt is now at the bottom and it made my speigler lines too short.

I went ahead and ordered the brembo reservoir and mounting bracket and hose. http://www.oppracing.com/show_produc...ed-sportbikes/
The brembo reservoir mounts differently than my stock so if the new hose won't fit my stock resevoir I may have to make something to mount the new one because I fear the bracket is going to make it interfere with my windshield. This cost me an additional $80 or so (I don't know what shipping from Canada is going to be exactly).

Now I have to measure for new brake lines and an additional $240+ because these things ain't cheap. Man why does every project seem to cost twice as much as you initially thought LOL.

Anyone know of a place to get lines that doesn't cost $120 per line!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm

Last edited by n2sport; July 24, 2009 at 09:02 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
What failure looks like

July 24, 2009, 08:51 AM

Did the MC you ordered come with the new banjo bolt? The stock one from a GSX-R won't fit and you'll need a new one.

My stock reservoir mounted up to the Brembo MC well. I just adjusted it so the line from the reservoir won't kink.

BTW - The first time you get on the binders BE PREPARED!!!

Edit: I see you have an '03 1k. The setup from the '07 750 must be different.

You will need to make a custom bracket or order a bracket that will adapt the Brembo reservoir. Any shop should be able to fab one up for you or you can just use something from home depot

'04 600RR - Street
'07 GSX-R 750 - Track only now
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced

Last edited by nrcooled; July 24, 2009 at 08:54 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to nrcooled  
Unread
  (#3)
Nubbs ban yourself!

July 24, 2009, 08:58 AM

I did order a new banjo bolt, brembo reservoir with bracket and hose.
I will probably not use their bracket and make my own but it will serve as a template of sorts. It will probably put the reservoir too close to the windshield. I have helibars so it is higher than normal.

It just sucks having to order new lines, oh well.

Any body got a hook up on good pricing of lines?

PS: My tags run out at the end of this month and I wasn't going to renew them because I don't ride it on the street anymore. I wanted to get this done and try it out before hitting the track to give me some (alone) time to get use to it. The only thing that will hold me back is getting the lines in time.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by n2sport; July 24, 2009 at 09:01 AM..
Unread
  (#4)
What failure looks like

July 24, 2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
I did order a new banjo bolt, brembo reservoir with bracket and hose.
I will probably not use their bracket and make my own but it will serve as a template of sorts. It will probably put the reservoir too close to the windshield. I have helibars so it is higher than normal.

It just sucks having to order new lines, oh well.

Any body got a hook up on good pricing of lines?

PS: My tags run out at the end of this month and I wasn't going to renew them because I don't ride it on the street anymore. I wanted to get this done and try it out before hitting the track to give me some (alone) time to get use to it. The only thing that will hold me back is getting the lines in time.
Nick (RFORCE1) just posted up a group buy on HEL lines

'04 600RR - Street
'07 GSX-R 750 - Track only now
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to nrcooled  
Unread
  (#5)
Banned

July 24, 2009, 03:00 PM

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=PTFEHOSE make your own lines.
Unread
  (#6)
Instructor

July 24, 2009, 03:21 PM

Most custom car shops will make lines on the cheap as long as you like silver or black.

Stupidity is an elemental force, and I respect that. ATGATT
Unread
  (#7)
Mojito Anyone?

July 24, 2009, 03:33 PM

noice

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#8)
Pleased to meet me

July 24, 2009, 03:38 PM

I get goodridge stainless lines for like $25. All lengths.
Unread
  (#9)
Nubbs ban yourself!

July 24, 2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadambusiness View Post
Yea, I talked to Twiggs and Goodridge is who they carry. Their price was about 30 for the lines, 10 for each fitting.
Where do you get yours from?
I am afraid the group buy is going to be just for OEM lengths.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin
Finally Installed
Unread
  (#10)
Nubbs ban yourself!

Finally Installed - August 3, 2009, 10:26 AM

Well, I think I got it all completed on Sunday.

I ordered new Goodridge all black brake lines because with the new MC the old Goodridge lines were too short.
I think the measurement I took should have been for just the cable and not with the ends. I measured from the caliper bolt to the MC and gave that. I think I should have subtracted the ends because they come separate with these. Oh well, it just meant about an hour of routing the lines different ways until I was satified that they wouldn't be rubbing anything. I even ended up wire tying them to the upper fork on the left side, the fender, around the key area, anywhere I could to keep them out of any harms way.
I ended up taking the right side and running it over to the same place the left side comes up and routing it over and that way it wouldn't be rubbing against the console and the neck.

I had ordered a mounting bracket but it was on back order for the reservoir.
I then ordered a different one which is no longer made.
I got a gromet, sleve and bolt and nut from Twiggs and then went to Lowes and got an 1/8" - 11/2" - 3 foot piece of aluminum angle and made a bracket for the Reservoir to bolt to the upper triple like the stock one did.

In the beginning I had the bracket too long and The reservoir was only able to go so far without hitting the triple which meant it would only hold a tiny amount of fluid. Took it all back off and cut it so I could get more of a lean angle and now could get it almost completely full.

I have a MityVac so I started the long process of bleeding this thing.
I started bleeding at the MC just to get some fluid into it. Even that seemed to take forever. Went down to the left caliper, right, MC more fluid, left right, MC more fluid probably removed almost half a bottle of fluid and still had no resistence at the lever. I was starting to think maybe it was a bad MC. I probably bleed with the MityVac for a good hour back and forth, ate my bagel from Starbucks and continued some more.

Finally I decided to go to hand bleeding where I would pump the handle, crack the MC bleeder just a tad and would get some air, close and repeated several times. Went down to the right caliper and did the same and never did the left because i didn't have an extra pair of hands.

Finally it was time to get ready to go to bed so i put the lid on and tightened it down. Grabbed the lever and wow, suddenly has resistance and it only moves a small amount before it won't move anymore. Unlike my original MC which would slowly go almost all the way to the bar.

I have a clear line from the reservoir to the MC so I can see some really small bubbles and I want to hand do the left side but am happy with it so far.

Now for a test ride!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#11)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

August 3, 2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadambusiness View Post
Really?
So could you get lines at the proper length/ends (I could find out the length if needed) for an 07/08 R1?

-Ryan