DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 513
2 members and 511 guests
davidcycle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Broken chain, part 2 - Pics for Fitz and the next problem.
Unread
  (#1)
no one's blowing up moons

Broken chain, part 2 - Pics for Fitz and the next problem. - August 28, 2012, 10:53 PM

Fitz here are your pics, hope they help
link1.jpglink2.jpg

So here's the next part of the story -
I get the replacement for the sheared master link and go out to do the work.
Busted link not coming out.
Take chain off bike and go to shop.

Everybody is stumped, no body has ever seen this happen before. This master link is from Bike Master but that shouldn't matter as sizes are standard and the shop has used these links in these chains uncounted times before. The pins in this particular ml seem a bit too thick but not enough to have been noticed at installation. As near as anyone can figure out the pins seem to have almost 'welded' them selves into the link. Both pins frozen = sheared link. Dave had to use a breaker to get the pins out.

Suzuki has a 5 day back order on an ml so the guys are checking around to get me one faster.

Now here's my next problem -
I have to get the sprocket cover off to put the chain back and here's the new problem. One of the bolts in the cover isn't moving. Since it's the one set down into the housing it's the hardest to get to. I can't seem to get the socket onto the bolt head enough to really grab it.

Anyone got any tips? If I don't get back on my ride soon my head is gonna explode.
Besides, how many people are gonna be happy when I get out on my bike and I have less time to post?

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/

Last edited by lam@dcsf; August 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

August 29, 2012, 07:57 AM

a) it seems there is some rust in the second pic: there was most likely a crack in there for some time, possibly from new

b) there is no such thing as a bolt that won't move. Buy some WD40, soak the whole area around the bolt with it and let is sit for a couple of hours. Next put the hex tool (or whatever tool you would use to get it out) in it, make sure it's seated well and hit said tool with a hammer, it will brake any oxidation and help get it loose.

c) if everything else fails you don't necessarily have to take the pinion cover off to install a new chain, you can simply push it trough slowly and manually make the pinion spin until is cycles through. Or, BUT BE CAREFUL OF YOUR FINGERS, set the engine kill switch to off (so engine doesn't start), and use the starter motor with bike in 1st gear to have the pinion grab and pull the chain on itself SLOWLY, then just help it get out the other way. If you are not very handy and comfortable, don't try this: i've seen what happens to fingers that end up between a chain and a sprocket. Not pretty...

2011 Ducati Diavel Chromo (Current)
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Current)
2006 BMW R1200ST
2003 BMW K1200GT (Current)
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition (Current)
1997 Aprilia RS250
1998 BMW K1200RS
2000 Ducati 998
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 Ducati 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2008 Mobster Lefty Trophy pitbike
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
Unread
  (#3)

September 4, 2012, 03:28 PM

Fitz bump

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz

Unread
  (#4)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

September 4, 2012, 03:46 PM

Haven't had a chance to look. On phone. Will check it out at home

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#5)
TNT
GP Champ

September 4, 2012, 04:20 PM

I know my sprocket cover bolts were ridiculous to get off and back on. They almost felt cross threaded, but I think it's mostly just wear/tear/rust. If you hadn't taken the chain off and it was still on the front sprocket, then you could use the master link on the new chain (don't put on sideplate yet) and link it to the old chain and pull it through until its around the front sprocket.

Ask me how I know about chain work, hahaha.
Unread
  (#6)
On vacation

September 4, 2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
I know my sprocket cover bolts were ridiculous to get off and back on. They almost felt cross threaded, but I think it's mostly just wear/tear/rust. If you hadn't taken the chain off and it was still on the front sprocket, then you could use the master link on the new chain (don't put on sideplate yet) and link it to the old chain and pull it through until its around the front sprocket.

Ask me how I know about chain work, hahaha.
You, sir, need to stay well away from any chain work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#7)
On vacation

September 4, 2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoallafila View Post
c) if everything else fails you don't necessarily have to take the pinion cover off to install a new chain, you can simply push it trough slowly and manually make the pinion spin until is cycles through. Or, BUT BE CAREFUL OF YOUR FINGERS, set the engine kill switch to off (so engine doesn't start), and use the starter motor with bike in 1st gear to have the pinion grab and pull the chain on itself SLOWLY, then just help it get out the other way. If you are not very handy and comfortable, don't try this: i've seen what happens to fingers that end up between a chain and a sprocket. Not pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

September 4, 2012, 07:24 PM

shit, put it in neutral let get it in groove and push it with a larger screwdriver.
Unread
  (#9)

September 5, 2012, 07:18 AM

Got a better quality socket set and got the bolt out, no problem. The 7mm socket from the cheap set I bought just wouldn't seat on the head. Ya' get what ya' pay for.

Fitz - let me know if the pix are good enough or if you need a set emailed somewhere. If you don't mind I'd like to know how it works out in the classes.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Unread
  (#10)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

September 5, 2012, 08:23 AM

Those pics will work.

Honestly, looking at them, I think it was just a defect in materials. It doesn't look like the kind of breakage you'd expect from poor maintenance or over-tightening. Crazy shit.

Again, good job doing post-ride inspections. Had you not noticed it, it could have become a catastrophe

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...