DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 530
1 members and 529 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
broken swingarm spool mount
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

broken swingarm spool mount - August 26, 2007, 02:54 PM

A few weeks back I lowsided at the track. Not sure how fast I was going but it was at the double apex right turn on the back of the jefferson track at Summit. I think turn 9 or 10 or 11 but not really sure. Anyways the bike really had no damage whatso ever to the plastics thanks to the shogun cut sliders, they rock by the way. The damage that did occur was broke right rear set, bent right side passenger peg, and my swing arm slider snapped right off at where the mount is on the swing arm. Rear set, passenger pegs and new frame sliders arent a problem to fix/replace. its the swing arm in concerned about.

My question is, How would I go about fixing this problem so I can get another spool on there? On the right side of the swing arm it looks like there was never even a hole to screw in the slider. I've heard of this happening to alot of people after a lowside and was wondering how you guys went about fixing this problem so that you can use your stands again.

Oh this happened on on an 06 GSXR 750. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
MSF Student

August 26, 2007, 09:24 PM

BUMP...........
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

August 26, 2007, 10:02 PM

Try drilling a small diameter, shallow pit into the spool thread (smaller than the spool thread itself), then get a damanged screw remover bit. They bite into metal backwards to help removed striped screws.

By drilling the small hole, you give the bit something to grab hold of.

Does that make sense?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#4)
MSF Student

August 26, 2007, 10:10 PM

The bolt didnt break off in my swingarm. Right at the bottom of my my swing arm there is a tab that has a hole in it to screw in the spool. The tab is actually a part of the swing arm. The whole tab broke off, so there is no longer a place to srew in the spool. I hope im explaining this right. my swing arm is fine except for the broken tab, My problem is I have no way of using my rear stand now
Unread
  (#5)
Bikeless... for now

August 27, 2007, 06:27 AM

I'd say find a very, very good welder.... or buy yourself a new swing arm

My bike run's on snake oil.... thanks to BG.

'06 ZX-6R in blue
'93 Ninja EX500 (sold)
Unread
  (#6)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

August 27, 2007, 06:38 AM

Yes it can be welded back on. Do you have the part that broke off? If not one can be made. Or I can drill and tap the swing arm for spools. Contact me and let me know. Pics would help also.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#7)
old fat and slow

August 27, 2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131
Yes it can be welded back on. Do you have the part that broke off? If not one can be made. Or I can drill and tap the swing arm for spools. Contact me and let me know. Pics would help also.
the swing arm material is too thin to safely drill and tap for what you want to do. you can buy a replacement tab to have welded back on and then have that done. or you can just convert to a non spooled stand. i had the same thing happen to my 1000 and am working on getting it welded back together soon. if you want to drill the swing arm you will need to use a riv-nut inside the hole instead of tapping it for the spool.

MissS:no now!!!

bambam nope you said i have a few hours

MissS: I changed my mind

bambam: see MissS: well, you have a few hours

MissS: I'm a female, allowed to do it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bambam  
Unread
  (#8)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

August 27, 2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam
the swing arm material is too thin to safely drill and tap for what you want to do. you can buy a replacement tab to have welded back on and then have that done. or you can just convert to a non spooled stand. i had the same thing happen to my 1000 and am working on getting it welded back together soon. if you want to drill the swing arm you will need to use a riv-nut inside the hole instead of tapping it for the spool.
Hey if quite a few people need replacemnt spool tabs let me know and maybe I should make a whole bunch. Let me know.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!