DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 555
2 members and 553 guests
davidcycle, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Carb help...
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

Carb help... - August 20, 2011, 03:39 PM

I have an 01 Sv650 that I got for track use only. It has been through a few hands and had a good bit of work done and already set up for the track and it had an extra set of carbs as well as some other parts with it. The po told me it had been sitting and prob needed the carbs cleaned. When I pulled the carbs off there was gas resting on the top of the valves on the rear cylinder and it had been draining down into the case which had filled with gas causing a hydraulic lock thus the poor running condition of the bike. So I got a kit to replace some of the disposable parts and went through and completely disassembled the carbs per the m/m. I then dipped the bodies in a carb cleaning solution and reassembled with the new needle and socket as well as replacing the bowl seal and some other rubber in it. I set the float heights and got them completely reassembled. When I put them back on the bike it ran and sounded great (yes i also drained the case and did an oil change) and I took it out on the street just to see if everything was working right and it seemed to be. I took it to the track to see if the draining problem was just a fact of the bike needing a good neck ringing. It ran great in the turns but when I would get out on the straights it would starve out then catch back up with itself and starve out again with the throttle wtfo. Still have the leak down problem and a slow oil leak on the clutch cover.

I also have pulled the petcock off the tank and tested it and it tested fine but when its on the tank and hooked up it pisses fuel out like its not supposed to. I know I porb need a new one but I had swapped tanks with tommy at the track because we determined his petcock was shutting off properly so this was part of the trouble shooting. It did stop the whole tank from draining down with the fuel line hooked up so i need a new one for my tank. The bike still proceeded to drain the fuel left in the rear carb down to the case. I have run out of ideas as to how to fix this carb issue and I have tried everything I know and what most people have told me to try. This happens with both sets of carbs and it does not discriminate between them it still leaks.

Also you can not see the fuel leaking out of the main jet but that doesnt mean its not.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Toe Dragger

August 21, 2011, 06:26 PM

BUMP! Someone on here has to be able to help him...

Chad
Sales Manager Duc Pond Motosports
I Make you Ducati Dreams Come True... LOL! Seriously! I do!

1999 Ducati 996 (sold)
1998 GSXR600 track bike (shamu) sold..
2008 Kwaki Versys sold...
2006 VFR800 Sold..
2001 Road King? Yep....
Unread
  (#3)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

August 21, 2011, 07:07 PM

Are you sure your vacuum lines are routed correctly? If this happens to both sets of carbs and they both are clean and correct then it ain't them. It looks like a vacuum style petcock. Which means only fuel should flow when vacuum is applied to the petcock from a running motor. If it leaks fuel then it is bad. It sounds like you are forcing fuel into the carbs and past the bowl vent. Kinda hard to fix over the net though. Sorry.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#4)
GDMFSOB

August 22, 2011, 08:18 AM

For sure you need the petcock, but you know that. I am no carb guru but have had some bikes with them. When you replaced "some other rubber in it" did you replace anything that looked like:

This little bastard plugs the hole in the carb that lets fuel into the the bowl as the float rises. If the rubber tip is worn it may not seat and allow fuel to continuously seep into the bowl and overflow into the intake.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#5)
MSF Student

August 22, 2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
For sure you need the petcock, but you know that. I am no carb guru but have had some bikes with them. When you replaced "some other rubber in it" did you replace anything that looked like:

This little bastard plugs the hole in the carb that lets fuel into the the bowl as the float rises. If the rubber tip is worn it may not seat and allow fuel to continuously seep into the bowl and overflow into the intake.
Yep replaced that. As for the vacuum operation I know that the petcock is vacuum operated and I know its back because it doesnt shut off. I also tested this by using some one elses tank and the fuel that was left in the bowl flowed out and ontop of the valves causing a slight lock up but the started was able to turn it through and the bike then started and rain fine other than the starving out part, but did not drain more from the tank. If some one has free time to spare on tuesday or wed and wants to come take a look at it I will provide the beer...
Unread
  (#6)
What is a chicken strip?

September 2, 2011, 02:35 PM

What else is done to the bike? stock jetting? Airbox?
I dont like to use any jets besides Genuine parts made for the carb because you never know if they are the size they have stamped on them. aftermarket jets are generally a bad idea because they are not always accurate.

Check your jetting/ needle and float adjustment and go from there.

As far as your bike starving for fuel it could be anything from the vaccum petcock, a faulty gas cap vent....or incorrect carb settings. AND DONT FORGET, a bad coil or connection will also cause a bike to have erratic driving conditions as well.

Also I heard you say you sprayed the carb with some type of cleaner but this will do nothing for cleaning the passageways....I prefer compressed air as an only solution for this. You need to be sure you have properly cleaned the carb before you can rule it out as a problem.

Just FYI for adjusting carbs it is done with throttle position, not speed or RPM.
+Idle jet circuit will control idle to 1/4 throttle.
+Needle clip position will affect 1/4 to 3/4 throttle
+Main jet circuit will affect 3/4 to full throttle

JUST A GENERAL RULE OF THUMB...

Last edited by vtwinjunkie; September 2, 2011 at 02:43 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
MSF Student

September 3, 2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinjunkie View Post
What else is done to the bike? stock jetting? Airbox?
I dont like to use any jets besides Genuine parts made for the carb because you never know if they are the size they have stamped on them. aftermarket jets are generally a bad idea because they are not always accurate.

Check your jetting/ needle and float adjustment and go from there.

As far as your bike starving for fuel it could be anything from the vaccum petcock, a faulty gas cap vent....or incorrect carb settings. AND DONT FORGET, a bad coil or connection will also cause a bike to have erratic driving conditions as well.

Also I heard you say you sprayed the carb with some type of cleaner but this will do nothing for cleaning the passageways....I prefer compressed air as an only solution for this. You need to be sure you have properly cleaned the carb before you can rule it out as a problem.

Just FYI for adjusting carbs it is done with throttle position, not speed or RPM.
+Idle jet circuit will control idle to 1/4 throttle.
+Needle clip position will affect 1/4 to 3/4 throttle
+Main jet circuit will affect 3/4 to full throttle

JUST A GENERAL RULE OF THUMB...
Stock airfilter and box.

Stock carbs to the best of my knowlage but I guess I will go through and check the jetting to the mm specs and see what I come up with.

Also I didped the carbs and sprayed them and the passages are clean this im sure of.

Set float hights per the service manual.

Thanks for the input

This project has been put to the back burner for now as I have another bike to finish building so it has become a winter project.
Unread
  (#8)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

September 3, 2011, 06:10 PM

Did you take all the parts out and blow air through every passage? Sounds like you missed something.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#9)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

September 3, 2011, 08:01 PM

A couple of things here.

1. You dipped the carbs? In what? Pine sol? Or something similar? Overnight?

2. Did you visually inspect the passages?

3. Other than fuel starvation at the end of the straights....any other issues with the carb's performance?

Check the WERA bbs. I remember the fuel starvation being an issue on the early SV's for fast guys. I know it was a relatively simple fix and I had it done as soon as somebody figured it out.

Also, have you have the bike repainted? I had one of the tank air holes under the gas cap rim blocked and it caused similar problems.

Give a call to SpeedWerks in Dover DE. Ask Steve Long. He will probably know what I'm talking about off the top of his head.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#10)
MSF Student

September 5, 2011, 12:41 PM

I diped them in a specific carb cleaning solution for 20min as that was the instructions on it. Not sure what its called but ill look at it when I get home. I then used a carb spray on the passages and it flowed smoothly. It is also having problems idealing unless you crank the idle up to almost 2k rpm. I did not paint the bike but it has been painted before I got it so I will check the vent holes on the tank.
Unread
  (#11)
Got Any Gwapes?

September 5, 2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1125R View Post
I diped them in a specific carb cleaning solution for 20min as that was the instructions on it. Not sure what its called but ill look at it when I get home. I then used a carb spray on the passages and it flowed smoothly. It is also having problems idealing unless you crank the idle up to almost 2k rpm. I did not paint the bike but it has been painted before I got it so I will check the vent holes on the tank.
They need a good cleaning, that's not that way to completely clean them. Have them done professionally.

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#12)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

September 5, 2011, 02:04 PM

Bring them to my house. We can tear them down easily enough.

If the bike isn't idling well....then most likely the pilot circuit is still gummed up. Been there done that before.

I'm not kidding when I suggest just soaking them in pine sol overnight. Worked wonders on my WR450's carb. (And it was cheap as well!!!)

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#13)
MSF Student

September 5, 2011, 02:13 PM

The only resion I only soaked them for only 20 min was that was the instructions on the cleaning kit I had. MudDawg I sent you a pm thanks.

Last edited by Austin1125R; September 5, 2011 at 02:24 PM..
Unread
  (#14)
Got Any Gwapes?

September 5, 2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
Bring them to my house. We can tear them down easily enough.

If the bike isn't idling well....then most likely the pilot circuit is still gummed up. Been there done that before.

I'm not kidding when I suggest just soaking them in pine sol overnight. Worked wonders on my WR450's carb. (And it was cheap as well!!!)
Steve, I picked up the PineSol trick from you...works like a charm. Good on ya', Mate

Any word from Alicia?

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

September 5, 2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1125R View Post
The only resion I only soaked them for only 20 min was that was the instructions on the cleaning kit I had. MudDawg I sent you a pm thanks.
Sounds like some great advice so far. I have an ultrasonic cleaner that you could soak them in for an hour. Just bring them to me apart and ready to put in and there will be no charge.