DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
4 members and 552 guests
davidcycle, HenryW, Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Chain conversion/Sprockets - Speedo Healer tips?
Unread
  (#1)
Happiness Consultant

Chain conversion/Sprockets - Speedo Healer tips? - June 23, 2010, 12:53 PM

went two up on the rear sprocket on my 05 636

Ramifications:
my speedo is way off, using my Garmin this AM against my speedo
at 25 indicated, GPS was reading 23
40 indicated, GPS 36
50 indicated, GPS 45
65 indicated, GPS 58
70 indicated, GPS 61
80 indicated, GPS 68
95 indicated, GPS 83

The last ones were a little tough cos I couldnt very well be looking down while speeding and there was a little thing called traffic that I had to pay attention to.

I'm assuming that my odo is now reading higher because I usually need to fill up my tank after 135-ish miles, yesterday I checked the trip meter and it was at 149 and the irritating 'FUEL' blinking in my console hadn't come on yet - no I didnt miraculously get better gas mileage from a 520 conversion and going 15/45 on sprockets.

So it looks like I need a Speedo Healer. Before I drop $115, roll up the sleeves and revisit my diminishing solder/wiring skills - does anyone have any suggestions on other products to use? Everything I'm reading on the Internets - yes I said Internets - is saying Yellow Box sucks, Speedo Healer is the way to go.

I'm looking for suggestions - not comments on my speedo/GPS test this morning or my decision to go 15/45 on sprockets.

word.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#2)
Parkin lot pimpin'

June 23, 2010, 12:57 PM

Ed, there is a $70 version on motomummy. Not Healtech brand but seems like it'd work just fine. Might buy it myself since I did a -1 in the front

2013 Kawasaki ZX-6R - back at it again
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) Lots o' Mods - SOLD

2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (Toy Haulin)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EndoSJ3  
Unread
  (#3)
STAY ON THE BIKE.........

Thumbs up June 23, 2010, 01:00 PM

i agree speedo healer is the way to go...its reliable and pretty easy to install..it comes with very easy to understand instructions...yea when u mess with gearing gotta adjust that speedo and speedo healer gets the gold on this one
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Agitator

June 23, 2010, 01:02 PM

Speedo healer. (I don't use them, I use math, but I hear it's the way to go)

Though, regressing the lower speed ones seems to indicate about 10% error...since you only changed the gear ratio by ~5%, your speedo was high by ~5% anyway.

Or just learn to subtract 10% in your head quickly.

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#5)
Happiness Consultant

June 23, 2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Speedo healer. (I don't use them, I use math, but I hear it's the way to go)

Though, regressing the lower speed ones seems to indicate about 10% error...since you only changed the gear ratio by ~5%, your speedo was high by ~5% anyway.

Or just learn to subtract 10% in your head quickly.

good stuff so far.

ok Math nerds - how off is my ODO? This is actually more important to know in the case of selling my bike in the future - according to the ODO I put about 1000 miles on my bike since putting in the conversion last month.

*try and remember I have 2 bikes for those that want to give me about putting only 1000 miles on my bike.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
Unread
  (#6)
Can't work my clutch!!

June 23, 2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoSuave View Post

good stuff so far.

ok Math nerds - how off is my ODO? This is actually more important to know in the case of selling my bike in the future - according to the ODO I put about 1000 miles on my bike since putting in the conversion last month.

*try and remember I have 2 bikes for those that want to give me about putting only 1000 miles on my bike.
Well, your speedo is off by on average by about 10% higher than normal. (about 8% at lower speeds, 12% at higher) So if it says it went 1000 miles, it really only went 900.

I dropped a tooth in the front and went up 2 in the rear and use the SpeedoDRD from motomummy with a -12.5% correction and it's about right.

15 Star Bolt R-Spec
09 600RR ABS
07 600RR
01 GSXR600
Unread
  (#7)
Slappa Da Baseeee , Mon'

June 23, 2010, 02:03 PM

dont be a retard ed, just call healtech, all their new speadohealers are plug and play, super easy, you can even reset it within minutes, ive had mine on the rc for 4 years and its flawless, has top speed recall features and is super easy to use, ive changed it numerous times based on different tire sizes gearing etc

-Phill-

2002 RC51-Ask and i will tell
1977 Harley-Davidson FLH (gettin a face lift)
2006 cbr1000rr-(sold)
2000 929- (sold)
2002 R1- (sold)

chumchum: my front is stiff and my rear is lose

#452-LE: I feel like jelly....... cauz jam dont shake like this!!

----------Alexandria, Va----------
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to blushin  
Unread
  (#8)
Happiness Consultant

June 23, 2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blushin View Post
dont be a retard ed, just call healtech, all their new speadohealers are plug and play, super easy, you can even reset it within minutes, ive had mine on the rc for 4 years and its flawless, has top speed recall features and is super easy to use, ive changed it numerous times based on different tire sizes gearing etc
is it 'reee tard' or 'rih taaard'?

thanks for the posts peeps - good stuff.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--

Will pay to see this
Unread
  (#9)
Agitator

June 23, 2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyShoo
Well, your speedo is off by on average by about 10% higher than normal. (about 8% at lower speeds, 12% at higher) So if it says it went 1000 miles, it really only went 900.

I dropped a tooth in the front and went up 2 in the rear and use the SpeedoDRD from motomummy with a -12.5% correction and it's about right.
Actually
25 indicated, GPS was reading 23 (10% with rounding error due to significant figures displayed)
40 indicated, GPS 36 (10%)
50 indicated, GPS 45 (10%)
65 indicated, GPS 58 (10% with rounding)
70 indicated, GPS 61 (13%)
80 indicated, GPS 68 (15%)
95 indicated, GPS 83 (13%)

I would bet the last three were off due to the reason ed said (keeping an eye on it) by the 2-4mph to make it 10%...

In terms of total mileage, the actual mileage to date would be 90% of the amount with the new sprocket (so 900 instead of 1000), plus 95% of the amount before. Note though, 5% is within usual odo specs, so you can make a future buyer feel better, but you might bring up a question...if it's "adjusted now"...how do I know you didn't adjust it the other way?

Look at my ultra-low mileage bike! Nevermind the fact that the speedo says 20 when you are going 168 mph!

Just poking...

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#10)
( * )|( * )

June 23, 2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoSuave View Post

good stuff so far.

it's close to 11% but as Birdboy said...just do quick math and subtract 10%. As his chart shows...it increases slightly as your MPH increases so you could get the healer if you plan on selling the bike or do the math since it's easy and cheaper than a healer!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#11)
Super Moderator

June 23, 2010, 03:01 PM

Hey Ed -

I just installed the Speed-o-healer on my 10r and it was VERY easy. Definitely the way to go. The website program is also easy to use. There is no soldering required - its all plug and play. You do have to remove a couple wires from the harness to place in another harness but takes no time at all.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#12)
Can I borrow ur lighter?

June 23, 2010, 04:50 PM

another +1 for the speedohealer... easy to install, easy to use...