DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 564
4 members and 560 guests
BlackHatch, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, onel0wcubn
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Clutch issues
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

Clutch issues - October 29, 2012, 07:00 AM

I'm working on getting my 83 Honda V45 Magna roadworthy. I've been changing fluids out of everything since it's been sitting for two years outside before I bought it. As I was trying to change the clutch fluid, when I engage the clutch, I'm not getting a lot of fluid getting pushed through. i followed this
and they're moving WAY more fluid than when I'm doing it. On top of that, when I looked inside the master clutch cylinder, there's some milky fluid coming out of where the cylinder is pushing the fluid through. The fluid coming out of the clutch slave is clear. Also, when I have the clutch engaged, kickstand up, when I drop from neutral to first, the bike surges, then the engine stops like if i still had the kickstand down. What am I missing?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Ballaugh Bridge

October 29, 2012, 07:20 AM

Clean out the master cylinder

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#3)
ELBOWZ

October 29, 2012, 07:40 AM

When I did an engine swap earlier this year the motor had been sitting about a year. The clutch plates stuck together due to the lack of moving during that time. It would surge forward when kicked into first but after riding it and banging through the gear the oil circulated and freed up the plates and all has been good. Might just need a little 'break in' period to get it all working right again if mechanically everything is working properly.

CCS #720 Expert
Michelin Tires www.sportbiketireservice.com
EvolveGT www.evolvegt.com
MRP Motorsports www.mrpmotorsports.com
MOTO-D Racing Tire Warmers www.motodracing.com
EVIL Powder Coating www.evilpowdercoating.com
AMSOIL www.dc-moto.net
Trackside Parts Club www.tracksidepartsclub.com
James
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

October 29, 2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMotorcycleGuy View Post
Clean out the master cylinder
I think I got all of the dried up stuff out, how do I get the master cylinder clean? I initially filled it up and pumped out everything in there. Should I get a speed bleeder? I can use it on the front brakes, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshep View Post
When I did an engine swap earlier this year the motor had been sitting about a year. The clutch plates stuck together due to the lack of moving during that time. It would surge forward when kicked into first but after riding it and banging through the gear the oil circulated and freed up the plates and all has been good. Might just need a little 'break in' period to get it all working right again if mechanically everything is working properly.
I might have to move the bike out of the back yard and get the front brakes working first.

Thanks CMG and Jshep!
Unread
  (#5)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

October 29, 2012, 08:54 AM

I would definitely pull the clutch MC. Clean it out, let it dry, reinstall. Bleed it using a mighty-vac brake bleeder. Same principal. Then go pill the clutch plates/steels. Look for wear or damage. Make sure they are flat and within spec. soak them in oil for a little while while you do the inspection.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

October 31, 2012, 06:55 AM

Looks like I'm hitting Harbor Freight, they have the Mityvacs in stock for $39.99. I can do the brakes then do the clutch. I might just get to ride this thing this week!!!
Unread
  (#7)
Licensed Rider

October 31, 2012, 04:46 PM

Ha! Harbor Freight has Brake Bleeder and Vacuum Pump Kit on sale for $22.99! I should have picked up a second one.
Unread
  (#8)
Stop light racer...

November 1, 2012, 09:33 AM

Mityvacs are handy, i have one that is plastic and wish is was metal... It works fine, but it just seems flimsy...

Oh and also: I'm surprised, confused, and impressed that this bike has a Hydraulic Clutch! Sweet!

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T
Unread
  (#9)
Licensed Rider

November 1, 2012, 02:42 PM

Yes, it does. Shaft drive, too. This is also my first Honda.
Unread
  (#10)
My Chicken eats Busa's

November 4, 2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswanson1 View Post
Looks like I'm hitting Harbor Freight, they have the Mityvacs in stock for $39.99. I can do the brakes then do the clutch. I might just get to ride this thing this week!!!
Hey, buddy. Speedbleeders are handy, but you don't really need it and without a proper cleaning it will all be for nil. First, take the line off. Save the crush washers around the Banjo Bolt. Then take off the Master Cylinder. Empty it out, obviously. Once you get the lever off, you will expose the little rubber seal around the plunger. Go ahead and pull it out. Behind that is a snap ring. Use long snap-ring pliers to get that out. The plunger should pull out after that. I expect it to be pretty nasty inside. Clean off the plunger, seals and spring. Then blast out the cylinder with brake cleaner. It is very important to punch out the two small holes in the bottom of the reservoir. Then blast it all out with a lot of air. When you put it all back together, make sure you lube it with brake fluid. You will also need to clean out the slave cylinder. Remove the slave cylinder and pull out the piston. If it's sticky, a quick shot of air in the banjo hole usually does the trick (point it away from your face and cover with a rag, cuz it can shoot out pretty good). Clean all the little seal channels and whatnot. When you put it all back together and are ready to bleed, make SURE you bleed the top, first. By that, I mean the MC. If you don't bleed the top, you'll never build pressure, I promise you. I really suggest that you get a new seal kit. They're only about 23 bucks and it.

Or.... Just take it to Brooks Cycles.

2003 Honda SuperHawk
No other bike needed. Already have SuperHawk

Click here for Brooks Cycles!

Last edited by superchickencornermonster; November 4, 2012 at 04:11 PM..
Unread
  (#11)
Licensed Rider

November 5, 2012, 08:22 AM

superchickencornermonster,

I was hoping to get the clutch working so I could get the bike back in the shed so I could rebuild the clutch and front brake master cylinders in a sheltered place. Cuz this bike ain't moving. It looks like I'll be getting new brake and clutch lines, caliper rebuild kits, master cylinder rebuild kits, and I'll be busy for the next few months. If I can get the parts in, how much would it run to install all of that? You can PM me if you would prefer that.
Unread
  (#12)
My Chicken eats Busa's

November 5, 2012, 11:13 AM

Word... Pm sent.

2003 Honda SuperHawk
No other bike needed. Already have SuperHawk

Click here for Brooks Cycles!
Unread
  (#13)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

November 5, 2012, 11:35 AM

Sounds like buying a new clutch master is a better idea.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#14)
Licensed Rider

November 5, 2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Sounds like buying a new clutch master is a better idea.
They don't make them anymore. I found a replacement for the brake cylinder, but not the clutch.
Unread
  (#15)
Instructor

November 5, 2012, 12:02 PM

I had the same issue on an old V30 (miss that bike). Once I cleaned out the master it worked beautifully. The internals had gotten so gummed up it was disgusting. Sounds like you have a good plan and parts to get her fixed right.

I would have kept the bike forever if a botched repair to fix a blown head gasket hadn't destroyed the motor (shop messed up the timing and refused to repair the ensuing damage).

Stupidity is an elemental force, and I respect that. ATGATT