DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 154
5 members and 149 guests
Diggy, nootherids, R6SP, RRonin, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Compressor Suggestions/Advice
Unread
  (#1)
turn or crash....

Compressor Suggestions/Advice - January 10, 2013, 10:42 AM

So I'm looking for a compressor, I've got a small 12v for putting air in shit. Looking for something that could be potentially used for impact wrench, nail guns?

This isn't for a shop or job, so I don't need to be doing a shit ton of nails etc in a row. I've looked at HD and seems that you need about 150PSI and 2.4 Gal/Min of air flow or so to run most decent tools? This sound about right?

I was hoping not to spend more than $150 or so, so I may be priced out already...

Any recommendations let me know!

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#2)
ELBOWZ

January 10, 2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkouza View Post
So I'm looking for a compressor, I've got a small 12v for putting air in shit. Looking for something that could be potentially used for impact wrench, nail guns?

This isn't for a shop or job, so I don't need to be doing a shit ton of nails etc in a row. I've looked at HD and seems that you need about 150PSI and 2.4 Gal/Min of air flow or so to run most decent tools? This sound about right?

I was hoping not to spend more than $150 or so, so I may be priced out already...

Any recommendations let me know!

Harbor Freight my friend. Would be more in your price range and get you what you need. Is it just for your home/garage or will you want to be able to take it places like the track or when you go trail riding?

CCS #720 Expert
Michelin Tires www.sportbiketireservice.com
EvolveGT www.evolvegt.com
MRP Motorsports www.mrpmotorsports.com
MOTO-D Racing Tire Warmers www.motodracing.com
EVIL Powder Coating www.evilpowdercoating.com
AMSOIL www.dc-moto.net
Trackside Parts Club www.tracksidepartsclub.com
James
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Typical Stripper

January 10, 2013, 11:05 AM

12 Gallon Air Compressor: Get Power to Go with Sears

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
just some dude

January 10, 2013, 11:07 AM

good timing with the topic, i'm in the market for a compressor for installing hardwood floors and also powering tools in the garage. aside from harbor freight, any other recommendations? what are the minimum specs to consider?

2013 Toyota Prius C4, holding up traffic...
2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid  
Unread
  (#5)
turn or crash....

January 10, 2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshep View Post
Harbor Freight my friend. Would be more in your price range and get you what you need. Is it just for your home/garage or will you want to be able to take it places like the track or when you go trail riding?
Was thinking for Home and I'd buy just a couple gallon tank that I could take with me If I needed some quick air somewhere... I don't/won't race, only see little track time, so 95% of my air needs are going to be at home. Space is a semi-factor as I've got a Packed shed/basement, but I'll make due with what I can I was looking at the HF ones the other day didn't know if anyone had one and would have opinion on reliability etc.

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#6)
Sewing Machine Rider

January 10, 2013, 11:56 AM

I don't know if I'd go with HF. Buddy got one and it constantly leaked. Eventually threw it away because it's obnoxious to have it running all the time.

I took the craigslist route. $100 for a 30g vertical Husky. works awesome for every I need it to do.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

January 10, 2013, 12:11 PM

Small contractor pancake type is fine for nail guns and such and is super portable. Great for home improvement projects.

For shop air tools like impact wrenches, air grinders, etc you need more air storage capacity. A small compressor is not going to keep up with the demand. You can rig up an aux tank for use in your garage but it's asking a lot of a small portable compressor to fill this function.

For long term life in a garage enviroment spend a bit more money and get a compressor with a belt driven cast iron oil bathed compressor motor. They last MUCH longer, run much quieter (Won't run you out of the garage when running), and can handle higher air volume requirements. I went through two direct drive aluminum compressor motor units (and not cheap ones either) before getting smart and buying a compressor that will last longer than I will. Only bad part is even the ones with wheels can't really be considered "portable" except in terms of wheeling from one part of the gargae to another if you needed to for some reason. They're heavy fackers.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#8)
Playing in the dirt

January 10, 2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
I don't know if I'd go with HF. Buddy got one and it constantly leaked. Eventually threw it away because it's obnoxious to have it running all the time.

I took the craigslist route. $100 for a 30g vertical Husky. works awesome for every I need it to do.
Not all HF compressors are bad. Their large 2 stage (165+ PSI) 60/80 gallon compressors are a mix of US and European made parts and assembled in south carolina (They are re-badged Belair compressors)

KTMs and Yamahas
Unread
  (#9)
Sewing Machine Rider

January 10, 2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
Not all HF compressors are bad. Their large 2 stage (165+ PSI) 60/80 gallon compressors are a mix of US and European made parts and assembled in south carolina (They are re-badged Belair compressors)
Fair enough, but those aren't exactly in the $150 price range.
Unread
  (#10)
On vacation

January 10, 2013, 12:38 PM

+1 on CL. You can usually find exactly what you need for a much better price than new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

January 10, 2013, 12:58 PM

Yep, I got a 30 or 40 gal craftsman for less than $150 on craigslist years ago. The little compressors suck if you're installing tires. Takes forever to get a bead to seat.
Unread
  (#12)
yuu
Whitty comment

January 10, 2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
Small contractor pancake type is fine for nail guns and such and is super portable. Great for home improvement projects.

For shop air tools like impact wrenches, air grinders, etc you need more air storage capacity. A small compressor is not going to keep up with the demand. You can rig up an aux tank for use in your garage but it's asking a lot of a small portable compressor to fill this function.
^^^ That.

One thing to consider is mounting tires. If you do your own, the smaller nailer set ups will do a 120 tire - but don't have enough pressurized volume to take on a rear. A larger vol pancake can take on a 160, but might struggle beyond that.

- Throttle's on the right. So are the brakes. Good luck.
Unread
  (#13)
ELBOWZ

January 10, 2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
Yep, I got a 30 or 40 gal craftsman for less than $150 on craigslist years ago. The little compressors suck if you're installing tires. Takes forever to get a bead to seat.

I have a 3gal compressor I bought used that does my tires at the racetrack with NO problem. Just have to let it build up above 50-60psi to have enough umph to set the bead.

It's nice b/c I take it to the track with me and use it at home on my tires and on friends tires when I change them.

CCS #720 Expert
Michelin Tires www.sportbiketireservice.com
EvolveGT www.evolvegt.com
MRP Motorsports www.mrpmotorsports.com
MOTO-D Racing Tire Warmers www.motodracing.com
EVIL Powder Coating www.evilpowdercoating.com
AMSOIL www.dc-moto.net
Trackside Parts Club www.tracksidepartsclub.com
James
Unread
  (#14)
just some dude

January 10, 2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuu View Post
^^^ That.

One thing to consider is mounting tires. If you do your own, the smaller nailer set ups will do a 120 tire - but don't have enough pressurized volume to take on a rear. A larger vol pancake can take on a 160, but might struggle beyond that.
i've used a cheap $10 walmart tire pump that plugs into a cigarette lighter to seat the bead on a 180 rear, so i know it's possible. took some time to build up the pressure though.

2013 Toyota Prius C4, holding up traffic...
2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid  
Unread
  (#15)
Playing in the dirt

January 10, 2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuu View Post
^^^ That.

pull the core and use a blowgun, or if you enjoy fire use ether...

But use less that this guy

KTMs and Yamahas