DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 564
4 members and 560 guests
BlackHatch, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, onel0wcubn
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Cooling System Diagnostics
Unread
  (#1)
TNT
GP Champ

Cooling System Diagnostics - May 15, 2013, 09:42 PM

2008 R6. Been having some issues with high temps, mostly when sitting around at stop lights after I've been riding for a while. Temp goes up to about 230 and sits there for a while even with the fan running. Fan still kicks on at 214 like usual and cuts off at 210 on the way down, but temp seems to linger longer at 220-230 than I'm used to.

I'm fairly unskilled in motorcycle zen and have no garage space to pull a 2 hours maintenance job (what should take 15 minutes takes about a factor of 10 greater for me after I pull things apart and can't figure out how to make them fit together again). Are there some easy checks I can run? First thoughts were a gummed up water pump or bubbles intermittently around the temp sensor. I did check the coolant level and that's fine. I was thinking about trying to do a flush on my own and run water + water wetter in preparation for track days this season.

What say the gurus here about things I can to diagnose the issue without pulling everything apart?

Thanks.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
easyrider

May 15, 2013, 09:47 PM

Do you have any mods on the bike? Aftermarket air filter? Anything that would cause the bike to run lean?
Unread
  (#3)
TNT
GP Champ

May 15, 2013, 10:00 PM

Yep, PCV with the map off their site for the Two Bros slip-on. Only thing I couldn't figure out was if the cat box being gone has any significant impact on what fuel mapping is needed. Never dyno'd it. I've had that going for months prior to noticing the cooling issue. Could it be something with that long of an incubation?

Should I try to go back to stock map and see if that changes anything? Probably a quick test and a short ride - could actually manage to do that on my own.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

Checked your coolant level? Has it ever been changed?

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#5)
Meh

Drain, refill with distilled H2O and water wetter.

Re check temps and look for any obstruction in fan shroud area.
Unread
  (#6)
TNT
GP Champ

May 15, 2013, 10:22 PM

Level is fine and has been changed. I will probably undertake another changeout soon and get the pain over with. Any parts that I'm going to need on hand before I start? I've read that it's good to have a spare copper (crush) washer or two? Anything else I'm likely to say "oh ****" about when I'm halfway through?
Unread
  (#7)
GDMFSOB

May 16, 2013, 07:45 AM

Water pump hoses reversed? Dont know about the R6 specifically, but on some bikes the inlet and outlet are next to each other.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#8)
Railing!

May 16, 2013, 07:57 AM

I had a lot of air bubbles after my first coolant change that was causing it to run hot.
I "burped" them out and it dropped the average temperature a couple degrees.

Only other recommendation would be to avoid red lights/stops
Unread
  (#9)
TNT
GP Champ

May 16, 2013, 08:45 PM

The last time this bike had maintenance done, it was by Jason's shop. I haven't switched the hoses around since then, so I'm confident that is not the case, but I will definitely keep that in mind for when I go futz around with it. That's one of those "hey newbie" things I really need to know about. Much appreciated. Now if I can just go ID which hose is actually for the coolant system and not a fuel line.....

I will try squeezing the hoses a bit more - assuming I should do this with the radiator cap off this time (when bike is cool)?

edit: Also to add, I rode today, and it seems like it might have been an air bubble near the sensor - still not confident, but when the engine was on, cooling was pretty consistent, not going above about 225 at the lights after I had been running up to them in 1st around 4-5K rpm. When I got home, I motored around the parking lot and shut it off at about 216 - went up to 230 (because pump is off when bike is off...makes sense to me provided it's actually a belt or gear driven pump like I have been assuming). Then I turned the bike back on and the temps dropped at what I would consider a normal rate. I will keep an eye on it and note anomalies, but if this behavior continues, does it make sense it was an air bubble issue cause bad temp readings?

Last edited by TNT; May 16, 2013 at 08:49 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
squid

May 16, 2013, 11:50 PM

I kinda consider this normal, my bike does same thing. As long as it stays around the 230s range and not anymore, I think its still safe. When this bugged me, I replaced the thermostat and it worked the way i wanted to for a while, but then a few months later it went back to doing the same thing.

So if you were to fix something, I'd say the thermostat. Its possible your thermostat is not opening at the temp it was originally suppose to open.

besides that, if your thermostat is good, you have a fully bleeded coolant system, the only other reason a motor would over heat is the head gasket is blown, which is prob unlikely because you'll know right away when you do an oil change.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to elements018  
Unread
  (#11)
Got my Permit

May 17, 2013, 12:15 AM

230 is still within normal operating temps. As long as it doesn't reach the 250 range, you should be good.
My bike does the same thing. 180-200 when cruising. Goes as high as 230 at a stop.
Unread
  (#12)
TNT
GP Champ

May 17, 2013, 04:39 PM

Thanks guys, glad to know I'm not going to have to go screw something up before I try and do a TPM day.