DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 508
2 members and 506 guests
beatle, Leoallafila
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Couldnt get into neutral
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

Couldnt get into neutral - March 9, 2009, 11:03 AM

The other day after bout an 80 mile trip stopped off for a bite to eat. When i got back to the bike couldnt get into neutral. Took bout 5 minutes of playin with it and eventually a buddy using his hand to wiggle it in. Any ideas?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
making it do what it do!!

March 9, 2009, 11:36 AM

did you put your bike in gear after you stopped or did you have it in gear and then the kickstand killed it? when you stopped prior to this happening?

-FER-
2008 Raven R1
Eat, Lift, Sleep.... (REPEAT)!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MANIMAL  
Unread
  (#3)
Nothing here

March 9, 2009, 11:46 AM

/\ See above. Also, double clutch.
Unread
  (#4)

March 9, 2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madali View Post
/\ See above. Also, double clutch.
I was there, we tried shifting bike to neutral with single and double clutch, it didnt work. However when my friend fiddled with the lever with his hand and didn't use the clutch the bike went back to neutral. It didn't happen again but it was just really odd...

-FER-
2008 Raven R1
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

March 9, 2009, 12:26 PM

What gear was it in when you stopped? Im guessing the whole time you were trying to get in neutral the bike was not running?
Unread
  (#6)

March 9, 2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
What gear was it in when you stopped? Im guessing the whole time you were trying to get in neutral the bike was not running?
It was on 1st (about 90% sure) and yes you are correct the whole time the bike wouldn't start even with kickstand up and clutched in.... the issue is fixed but I'd still like to know why and how it happened

-FER-
2008 Raven R1
Unread
  (#7)
TPG - screw face

March 9, 2009, 03:33 PM

how'd you fix it?

someone is having this same problem on gixxer.com

i've heard of this a few times...and had it happen like once...and i was told to just put it in N, turn the key a few times to the on position...then off...then on...and try to start it. Worked that one time.
Unread
  (#8)

March 9, 2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
how'd you fix it?

someone is having this same problem on gixxer.com

i've heard of this a few times...and had it happen like once...and i was told to just put it in N, turn the key a few times to the on position...then off...then on...and try to start it. Worked that one time.
I didn't my boy fixed it by fiddling with the shift lever with his hand I had the clutch pulled in and footpeg was up, kind of like a sensitivity thing but is odd. I'd like to know if it was an actual problem so my boy (GOOSE) can take his bike to get looked at or it was one of those things wrong place wrong time type thing

-FER-
2008 Raven R1
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

March 9, 2009, 03:54 PM

Well the bike should start with kick stand up and clutch in. If not then clutch switch is most likely the culprit. The reason the gear would not go in to neutral is most likely because the gear that the shift fork is moving in order to disengage first and enable neutral is not aligning with the other gear on the opposing shaft or depending on the tranny design the dogs on the gear it sits next to on the shaft it rides on. If you would have rolled the bike while shifting it would have gone right into neutral because rolling the bike allows the gears on the output shaft to move and align.
Unread
  (#10)

March 9, 2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
Well the bike should start with kick stand up and clutch in. If not then clutch switch is most likely the culprit. The reason the gear would not go in to neutral is most likely because the gear that the shift fork is moving in order to disengage first and enable neutral is not aligning with the other gear on the opposing shaft or depending on the tranny design the dogs on the gear it sits next to on the shaft it rides on. If you would have rolled the bike while shifting it would have gone right into neutral because rolling the bike allows the gears on the output shaft to move and align.
will keep that in mind if it happens again when I'm around.

-FER-
2008 Raven R1
Unread
  (#11)
#swag

March 9, 2009, 04:23 PM

What kind of bike?

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#12)

March 9, 2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFORC1 View Post
What kind of bike?
ZX636R

-FER-
2008 Raven R1
Unread
  (#13)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

March 9, 2009, 06:50 PM

yeah it was in 1st when i stopped, didnt kill it with the kickstand just turned it off. yeah thanx to manimal and our other boy we got it goin again. Redlevel i'll have to keep that in mind next time. When i go get my new tires put on im gonna talk to the mechanic n see if he's heard of this b4.
Unread
  (#14)
TPG - screw face

March 9, 2009, 11:32 PM

FWIW...on the odd event i stall my bike...it'll be in first gear when I restart it...kickstand up...clutch pulled, granted it'll be immediately after it cut off.

but try to do it on purpose....kickstand up, 1st gear, key in ON position, pull clutch, hit start.....she won't respond....quirky.....but from what I have been reading there are issues with the GSXR and the "hot start"...still schoolin myself on that though....