DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 551
1 members and 550 guests
beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
curious--few general questions
Unread
  (#1)
Signed up for Track Days!

Question curious--few general questions - February 20, 2009, 05:33 PM

If i can get pointed in the direction of where to check(or what term to use in search i will do just that), or if yall just wanna answer that be great too.

1. curiosity can a wider tire be fitted to a stock width rim?
--i know it can be done on cars, and you can go smaller, but i am wondering if i can change out the 110 and 130 on the bike for something wider on the stock rim.

2. on a quad i can feel the shift (click into each gear), should i be able to feel the same shift (sitting still, clutch in, shifting)...granted a newer trans may feel firmer or more positive than an older one, just wondering. (i can feel a 1 down and 1 up i think, but nothing more)

3. any suggestions on insurance company? i found nationwide to be more expensive by a little bit than progressive, when i called for quotes.

4. are any mirrors technically illegal due to design or w.e.--idc after afterwards, but i have to get the bike throguh inspection. (was thinking about S&S cycles in Annapolis/Edgewater area to do that)

5. a coworker said i can change the kt on the bike by essentially buying say a zx7 kit and the bracket/mounting hardware---true?--front light setup is hideous, lol.

6. is one manual better than the other....clymers and haynes i found on oldbikebarn, any other manuals or which one is better?

thanks alot. if shot in a direction i can research all my Q's.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to keebler  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG

February 20, 2009, 06:07 PM

1. to a degree yes
2. you should feel a click, if you're just clicking through gears with the bike turned off you might not though
3. call everyone, they vary in price a lot for everyone, just cause one was the cheapest for someone else doesn't mean its the best for you
4. you will need at least 1 mirror
5. check for a bike specific forum, but with enough work pretty much anything can be done
6. I prefer Haynes but either is fine
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
done for now...

February 20, 2009, 06:13 PM

www.dairylandinsurance.com
Unread
  (#4)
GET SOME ! ! !

February 20, 2009, 07:12 PM

1.) I think so, but check with some of the other members that do this for a living/pay
2.) standing still going into 1st, neutral, and 2nd can be felt with the quad standing still, but if you want to shift into higher gears, usually you have to rock the quad back and forth to get the tranny to shift into the other gears, it sounds like your quad is fine.
3.) I've used Progressive for my SV, DRZ, and most likely the R6 (but I'm going to get some quotes from other insurance companies, nationwide, state farm, etc).
4.) you have to have at least 1 mirror in VA
5.) check the kawi forums, they'll know for sure, some people on here might know, but better luck on a brand specific forum
6.) I've always used clymers as far as my dirtbikes, not sure about steetbike, I'm sure either is fine, they essentially are the same thing

hope that helps...oh yeah...and welcome to .net!!!!

TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
Unread
  (#5)

February 20, 2009, 09:04 PM

1. thanks, to you 3

2. guess my main worry is that id do some minor aftermarket mods and it wouldnt pass the inspection, or id have to do some factory work to pass an inspection, and then spend the money to mod the bike a lil bit.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

February 20, 2009, 09:47 PM

6. look hard enough(like on a bike or brand specific forum) and you can find the factory service manual in downloadable form for FREE
Unread
  (#7)

February 21, 2009, 05:22 AM

better luck on a model specific forum (zx forums or such) or a brand specific forum (kawasaki branded/only forums)