DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 527
1 members and 526 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
DC inspection
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

DC inspection - April 10, 2008, 10:03 PM

Has anyone have any experience on getting their bike inspected in DC? (Not VA or MD, just DC). Do they do emissions testing? If i get a slip on my bike, will I fail inspection? As slip ons street legal?

I tried reading the inspection requirements for motorcycles? I tried reading the regulations on the DMV website but they dont really say much on motorcycles. I talked to a few people already and I get conflicting answers. Some say that it was a breeze that they didnt even turn on the bike and they got their inspection stickers. Others have said that the inspectors are really picky and look at the smallest details. Unfortunately I didnt ask about emissions.

Thanks in advance.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Officially Addicted to Posting

April 11, 2008, 08:20 AM

They did not do an emissions test on any of my bikes. You will get conflicting answers, becasue there is no consistency. I brough a bike through with 30,000 miles on it and some mods and they didn't even turn on the key to check mileage. I also brought a brand new bike with no mods and they went over it with a fine tooth comb. I don't know if they have any noise limits. They never turned on my loudest bike, so who knows.

I'll see if I can find the motorcycle requirments for DC (I probably posted them in an earlier thread).

*Here is the earlier thread:

DC won't approve my bike in inspection!

Last edited by rddy; April 11, 2008 at 08:32 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#3)
MSF Student

April 11, 2008, 08:28 AM

I am dealing with DC inspection STILL after 3 months of back and forth. I think people are right - it is a big gamble - one day you might get through fine, the next you might get a jerk.

I unfortunately got the jerk and after 2 trips through still haven't gotten a pass. However even though I have a Ducati with Termi pipes, emissions wasn't even one of the issues the guy brought up. He failed me n turn signals and mirrors...but said nothing about noise/emissions.

Another thing I will through out there is that even if you arrive with the DC paperwork on requirements IN HAND printed from their own DMV site - they STILL might argue with you.

I am not bitter or anything.

Good luck! I hope you make out better than me!!

-Erin

2003 Ducati Monster 620 Dark
www.flickr.com/photos/erin_lassahn
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to DucatiHotti  
Unread
  (#4)
DFL

April 11, 2008, 09:27 AM

There's no emissions test on motorcycles in DC (as long as your shit isn't smoking like a chimney). You should be ok with a slip on, as long as it's not obnoxiously loud and drawing attention. Like everyone else has said, it all depends who inspects your bike and the mood they're in at the time. Good luck.

"They should have sent a poet"
Unread
  (#5)

April 11, 2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rddy
They did not do an emissions test on any of my bikes. You will get conflicting answers, becasue there is no consistency. I brough a bike through with 30,000 miles on it and some mods and they didn't even turn on the key to check mileage. I also brought a brand new bike with no mods and they went over it with a fine tooth comb. I don't know if they have any noise limits. They never turned on my loudest bike, so who knows.

I'll see if I can find the motorcycle requirments for DC (I probably posted them in an earlier thread).

*Here is the earlier thread:

DC won't approve my bike in inspection!
How come you had to take a new bike to get inspected? I never had to get any brand new vehicles inspected before.

BTW, Thanks for the link. Yeah I tried reading the docs on the DMV website, but its so generic. And since I dont have the inspection manual they talk about, I dont really know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiHotti
I am dealing with DC inspection STILL after 3 months of back and forth. I think people are right - it is a big gamble - one day you might get through fine, the next you might get a jerk.
What does the jerk look like? So I can avoid him. You want me to run him over for you?
Unread
  (#6)

April 11, 2008, 10:16 AM

Also, do you guys walk the bike through the inspection station? I am afraid if I get off the bike and let them walk the bike through the station, that they will drop it. Or are you supposed to go with the bike? I know with cars they make you get out.
Unread
  (#7)
MSF Student

April 11, 2008, 10:38 AM

They shouldn't make you walk it through the lane, you will just pull up to the garage entrance and they will look it over right there.... they don't take it away from you.

-Erin

Unread
  (#8)
MSF Student

April 11, 2008, 10:41 AM

OH and hmm....I won't give a description....but lets put it this way; if anyone gives you trouble - just go ahead and run that person over...and I'll consider it revenge

-Erin

Unread
  (#9)
NW DC Rider

April 11, 2008, 11:21 AM

They won't fail you for a slip-on. There is no emissions requirement. They could fail for noise but they'd have to do a dB reading.

The experience is random because the positions are filled by people who were too slow to work at McDonald's. If you are lucky you get the guy who doesn't give a shit because he realizes his job is a joke and he just has to make it through the day. If you are unlucky you get the guy who is bitter because he swears he was smart enough to work the drive-thru so he decides to be an anal ass about the process... which wouldn't be too much of a problem if they were literate and knew what they were talking about.

The inspection manual is just a rewording in plain english of the Title 18. The Title 18 overrules any discrepancies between the two though so as long as you comply with that, you are (legally) fine.

Good luck.

-Ryan

2007 Yamaha R6 (race)
2003 Yamaha R6 (sold)
CCS #341
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to rhouck Send a message via AIM to rhouck Send a message via MSN to rhouck  
Unread
  (#10)
ATTN INVESTORS!

April 11, 2008, 11:34 AM

I have run 3 bikes and 1 car through DC inspection and it does depend alot on who is performing the inspection.

Here are a couple of tips that may help you avoid unnecessary frustration.

1. Stock mirrors and blinkers don't get a second look as long as they are in working order.

2. Have good tread on your tires.

3. Make sure your horn works.
4. Make sure your headlight works (highbeam also)

5. Ensure your VIN number on your bike matches what is on your registration.

That is basically the gist of the inspection. They cannot test brakes or emissions on bikes and as long as they have no reason to question the 5 things I listed, you will in all likelyhood have a successful and pleasant visit while at DC's hellmouth.

They don't walk or ride your bike either. You pull up to the back while they check and then you ride around the front to get your sticker.

Good luck.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz  
Unread
  (#11)
Officially Addicted to Posting

April 11, 2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklehead
How come you had to take a new bike to get inspected? I never had to get any brand new vehicles inspected before.

BTW, Thanks for the link. Yeah I tried reading the docs on the DMV website, but its so generic. And since I dont have the inspection manual they talk about, I dont really know.
We moved to DC shortly after it was bought, so I had to get it inspected to register it in DC.

Quote:
Also, do you guys walk the bike through the inspection station? I am afraid if I get off the bike and let them walk the bike through the station, that they will drop it. Or are you supposed to go with the bike? I know with cars they make you get out.
They waived me through the line right up to the far right bay, looked at some of it there then told me to pull around to the exit/other side and finished up. They will not move your bike, for obvious reasons.

Last edited by rddy; April 11, 2008 at 12:47 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#12)
Super Moderator

April 11, 2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:

What does the jerk look like? So I can avoid him. You want me to run him over for you?
Because the bike was inspected before you got it.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R