DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 555
3 members and 552 guests
2blueyam, amit, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Dead battery during ride....why?
Unread
  (#1)
Pedal faster

Dead battery during ride....why? - June 22, 2009, 09:41 AM

My 06 Ninja 250 died suddenly while I was out yesterday - I'm trying to figure out why. Went out for a ride yesterday with a friend, and we stopped for a quick break about 90 minutes in. Up until then the bike had started/run with no problems. After about 5 min., I went to start the bike again and...dead battery. I had lights, etc., but it couldn't quite turn over. After a few tries, all I had was the dreaded ticking sound. Ugh.

Thankfully, we managed to jump-start it - it started right up on the first try. B/c it was so nice, we decided to put the jumper cables in my friend's saddlebag and keep going. Rode for another three hours - no problems at all. Bike started up successfully every time after that (including, thankfully, when I popped the clutch and stalled at a light. Jeez.)

So...any thoughts about this? It just seems very random for the battery to totally die in the middle of the ride, but be fine the rest of the time. I'm really careful about turning the bike off/removing the key whenever I kill the engine, so I don't know what could have happened to drain all the juice so suddenly.

2009 Ninja 650
2006 Ninja 250 - sold
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Got Any Gwapes?

June 22, 2009, 09:43 AM

regulator/ rectifier could have gone bad...

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#3)
TPG Bannings: III

June 22, 2009, 09:45 AM

I would be making sure that all my cables are tight, I've seen something as simple as a slightly loose ground cable being the culprit, you jumpstarting it(not bumpstarting) may have just been the trick to seat the ground cable again to get the bike going for the remainder of the ride.

If everything is tight, I would be checking my stator and R/R(regulator/rectifier). But check your cabling first.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

June 22, 2009, 09:56 AM

Check for loose cables, first. It's probably bad rectifier or stator. Each of these has a tendency to slowly die, so your battery will get charged at a slower and slower rate. Bump starting will work for a while, at which point that will no longer be sufficient either and you will have to fix the problem.

A long time ago on my R6, I got stranded 200 miles from home because my rectifier fried. I ended up pulling fuses for almost everything, and mounting an ATV battery on my rear seat to get enough juice to get home.
Unread
  (#5)
I don't like you

June 22, 2009, 10:08 AM

Are you sure you didn't bump the kill switch? Or have CEaton bump it for you?

RIP Jeff Vega 10/06/09 You will forever ride on in our hearts
Unread
  (#6)
Pedal faster

June 22, 2009, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the suggestions - I really appreciate the feedback. I'm not skilled enough yet to go poking around at wires yet - God only knows what I'd destroy - but I feel much better knowing what the problem could be. I'll def. get this looked at.

2009 Ninja 650
2006 Ninja 250 - sold
Unread
  (#7)
Typical Stripper

June 22, 2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom929 View Post
regulator/ rectifier could have gone bad...
My first thought

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Retired

June 22, 2009, 10:50 AM

This happened to me on the way to this years underwear ride. We got on rt 15 in Leesburg and made it all the way to rt 50 befor the bike shut down. Three batteries later, it turned out to be the reg/rec.

2007 Ducati S4Rs
Recognized by .net as the #1 choice for poor gays worldwide.
Unread
  (#9)
Pedal faster

June 22, 2009, 10:55 AM

So...anyone want to hazard a guess at how much this will cost to repair @ the shop? Looks like the part is approx. $100-ish, if I'm looking at the right part. I imagine there's going to be a decent amount of labor involved. Sigh.

ETA - this is assuming that's the problem...it could be loose wires, I suppose. Or gremlins.

2009 Ninja 650
2006 Ninja 250 - sold
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

June 22, 2009, 11:51 AM

Don't take it to the shop - yet. It's really easy to check.

Bikes generally work like this: when idle, the engine doesn't really charge the battery - you are slowly draining it. When you are riding at speed when revs are higher - you are charging your battery.

So... buy a voltimeter at Home Depot. Take the seat off and look at the battery. While the bike is turned off, see what the charge is. It should be a little over 12. Then start the bike and rev it. The voltage should go up to 14ish. These numbers will vary a little.

If the first number is below 12 or the second number doesn't reach 14 you probably have a charging problem. I don't know for sure because I don't know the exact specs for the Ninja battery.

You can probably come out to any of the events and people will do this for you if you still don't feel comfortable.
Unread
  (#11)
Licensed Rider

June 22, 2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCURT View Post
This happened to me on the way to this years underwear ride. We got on rt 15 in Leesburg and made it all the way to rt 50 befor the bike shut down. Three batteries later, it turned out to be the reg/rec.

But thats because it was a TL. They like to suck the life out of their owners and batteries.

Sawzall Solves All.
Unread
  (#12)
Retired

June 22, 2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL_Fool View Post
But thats because it was a TL. They like to suck the life out of their owners and batteries.

Aint that the truth! This year, my TLR has been in the shop more than I've ridden it. In two TLR's since 2003, I have never had the reliability issues I've been dealing with since 1/2009. It's almost like TL's instantly transform into Buells at the ten year mark.

2007 Ducati S4Rs
Recognized by .net as the #1 choice for poor gays worldwide.

Last edited by DUCURTI; June 22, 2009 at 12:22 PM..
Unread
  (#13)
Which one is the brake?

June 22, 2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
It's almost like TL's instantly transform into Buells at the ten year mark.

now thats funny.

I would follow the advice of these guys. Check the connections on the battery, just to remove doubt, clean the connections and then retighten them. Then hook up the voltmeter and check your continuity/voltage.

If you don't have a voltmeter or feel comfortable doing it, someone here can def. help you out. Or you can take it to a shop if you don't like money.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'00 CBR 929RR
US Army 99-06
Nec Aspera Terrent
Unread
  (#14)
Licensed Rider

June 22, 2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Aint that the truth! This year, my TLR has been in the shop more than I've ridden it. In two TLR's since 2003, I have never had the reliability issues I've been dealing with since 1/2009. It's almost like TL's instantly transform into Buells at the ten year mark.
I just got done rewiring part of my harness, due to a sudden power loss (all power)

but i cant bring myself to get rid of my TL its got too much personality, straight hooligan!

Connections can be tight and still not get power make sure its nice and clean. When my rectifier went kaput the bike didnt turn off when i turn the key and took it out.

good luck with it.

Sawzall Solves All.
Unread
  (#15)
Pedal faster

June 22, 2009, 03:08 PM

I'm going to check the battery out tonight and make sure it's not a problem with the connections. Then it's off to check the voltage and we'll go from there.

Thanks again for helping a (perennial) newbie out.

2009 Ninja 650
2006 Ninja 250 - sold