DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 555
1 members and 554 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
DOT race vs street perfomance 4 track dayz
Unread
  (#1)
anything with two wheels

DOT race vs street perfomance 4 track dayz - June 23, 2007, 03:34 PM

peeps,
how much of a traction difference are DOT race tires than Ultra High performaces street tires.

I currently run bridgestone BT-014 (OEM honday CBR1000RR) but usually run dunlop DOT race tires on track days. I was a little nervous about really pushing the street tires at VIR North yesterday.

That said there was this little kid about 10 years old on a two stroke that had amazing cornerspeed. don't know who he was but keep an ear out!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to 2wheelin  
no one?
Unread
  (#2)
anything with two wheels

no one? - June 25, 2007, 04:28 PM

no one got any guesses as too how much more grip dot race tires have over street ultra sports?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to 2wheelin  
Unread
  (#3)
Loves Sporking

June 25, 2007, 04:37 PM

DOT race tires have exactly 6.66% more grip than a good high-po street tire.*

*This figure may vary by 10% in either direction due to differences among brands as well as models. In your case, the 002 Bridgestones will provide you a noticeable difference, but won't last as long. In addition, it's harder to pinpoint the limit of a street tire. Generally, a race tire will give way more progressively; whereas a street tire might toss you on your ars.

Look at the money. If you can afford it, buy the best. If it's something you can't justify, then the money you save should be balanced by an equal serving of caution in the corners.

You're about to hear a dozen more opinions on this subjective question, but I tried to give you the straight poop.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
opossum puncher

June 25, 2007, 04:52 PM

My poop is a little more crooked. I ran M1's for my first couple track days two years ago and decided to get the Racetechs because of the buy one get one free thing they had last season.

Could I have just saved the $ and run the M1s yep. Are the Racetechs better, yep. The tires are better, better feedback, more grip, more stable.

I would spin up at will exiting most corners with the M1's with the Racetechs it is much less frequent, much more throttle and less than ideal track conditions are necessary (too hot, cold, or wet)

If you are spinning up alot, sliding or are just not comfortable with the street/track day tires give the next level of tire a shot.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#5)
Owner & Creator

June 25, 2007, 06:39 PM

m1's caused me my first wreck at the track

ever sine I've been riding on race tires no more wrecks at the track.
Unread
  (#6)
Too Fat To Be Fast

June 25, 2007, 07:38 PM

I use to think BT-012SS's would suffice for double duty. For a novice rider they would but when things start to get pushed then the limitations of a 'street' tire began to show. I will only run SuperCorsa Pro's now at the track because; 1. If gotten quite use to their feedback and how they work and 2. You can push a street tire and maybe you can go fast on it but the confidence that a DOT race tire has is not there.

Cheers,
Bern
13 Ducati 1199
06 Ducati PS1000LE
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BurnCycle  
Unread
  (#7)
Agitator

June 25, 2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnCycle
I use to think BT-012SS's would suffice for double duty. For a novice rider they would but when things start to get pushed then the limitations of a 'street' tire began to show. I will only run SuperCorsa Pro's now at the track because; 1. If gotten quite use to their feedback and how they work and 2. You can push a street tire and maybe you can go fast on it but the confidence that a DOT race tire has is not there.
+1, I used to run powers, now I run supercorsa pro front and a dragon slick rear, I'm gonna try the race 'stones next, but I totally agree, the ability to get on the tires hard and not have to worry about them is a huge confidence builder...[edited]

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)

Last edited by birdman; June 25, 2007 at 09:26 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#8)
Ballaugh Bridge

June 25, 2007, 08:22 PM

Tire warmers don't make a damn difference. Take a look at lap times for the LW superbike race at Summit at the end of May. My first lap was faster than everybody's except for Art Diaz. And my second last was my fastest lap ever. No warmers for me, everybody else has them.

Plus tires have no rubber left by the time they might reach a point where heat cycles are an issue. I've run a front for an entire season plus trackdays and that's on an SV. Big bikes can easily finish off a set of tires in a weekend.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#9)
.RJ
Project Mayhem

June 26, 2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage R1
m1's caused me my first wreck at the track

ever sine I've been riding on race tires no more wrecks at the track.
Isnt that indicitive of just using the better tires to band-aid some other sort of problem?

Thats the way it always was with my students in cars... throw gumball rubber at the car and it bails them out of so much crap, that when it hits the fan they crash because they have no idea how to handle a slide.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to .RJ  
Unread
  (#10)
Too Fat To Be Fast

June 26, 2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ
Isnt that indicitive of just using the better tires to band-aid some other sort of problem?
I can understand that.

In my case I went from a tire that would step out and upset the bike as a whole (BT012) to a tire that would slide but keep the bike composed (SC2). The way the tire reacts with the set up of the bike is an important part of the package. Yes, the SC2 has the grip needed to keep the bike planted but a proper race tire should also let you know that you are pushing without the fear of letting go.

The big twin can kill a tire in a hurry, having it slid without loss of control is/was a huge bonus.

Cheers,
Bern
13 Ducati 1199
06 Ducati PS1000LE
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BurnCycle  
Unread
  (#11)
.RJ
Project Mayhem

June 26, 2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Yes, the SC2 has the grip needed to keep the bike planted but a proper race tire should also let you know that you are pushing without the fear of letting go.
I guess my rub was with the statement that "xx tires caused me to crash". Just about any time you fall off, there's a problem between the handlebars and the seat regardless of equipment. On street tires last weekend I almost high-sided in the 1st session, pushed the front a few times, and spun up the rear on exit a few times. I never felt that I didnt have control of the bike, or that it wasnt caused by something I did to upset the bike.

I dont see any need to move up to a track or race tire until I think street tires are holding me back, but diff'rent strokes.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to .RJ  
Unread
  (#12)
Loves Sporking

June 26, 2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I can understand that.

In my case I went from a tire that would step out and upset the bike as a whole (BT012) to a tire that would slide but keep the bike composed (SC2). The way the tire reacts with the set up of the bike is an important part of the package. Yes, the SC2 has the grip needed to keep the bike planted but a proper race tire should also let you know that you are pushing without the fear of letting go.

The big twin can kill a tire in a hurry, having it slid without loss of control is/was a huge bonus.

This type of shredding can be remedied. Try backing two clicks off your rear compression. If that doesn't work, I would add a pound of air. Your tire's doing all the work and coming apart. Actually, it's not that bad, but it's a problem I've fixed before. You'll get more rear grip AND more tire life. No trade-off.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#13)
PewPew

June 26, 2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ
I guess my rub was with the statement that "xx tires caused me to crash". Just about any time you fall off, there's a problem between the handlebars and the seat regardless of equipment. On street tires last weekend I almost high-sided in the 1st session, pushed the front a few times, and spun up the rear on exit a few times. I never felt that I didnt have control of the bike, or that it wasnt caused by something I did to upset the bike.

I dont see any need to move up to a track or race tire until I think street tires are holding me back, but diff'rent strokes.
never had an issue running M1s or Mich. Pilot Powers on the track. Wouldn't race with them, but track days they work great and last a bit longer imo. I'd suggest for ease and exspence to stay with the DOT approved Track & road tires i.e. Pilot Powers, Diablo Corsa IIIs etc..

I just stepped up to the Corsa IIIs on my R6, should be interesting to see how they compare to my Pilot Powers...

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Last edited by NoVaGhost; June 26, 2007 at 06:04 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Unread
  (#14)
What failure looks like

June 27, 2007, 11:46 AM

I am having this same debate about which tire to run. I am going to run the BT 014. Is this a good idea or should I just go with the pilot powers?

'04 600RR - Street
'07 GSX-R 750 - Track only now
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to nrcooled  
Unread
  (#15)
Ling Long

June 27, 2007, 12:45 PM

Most street tyres will be good for a track day. They also make track day tyres in general.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt