DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 541
2 members and 539 guests
legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tech Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Exhaust Question - Bending
Unread
  (#1)
Republicans for Voldemort

Exhaust Question - Bending - September 14, 2007, 06:25 PM

It looks like I will soon be winding up with and older KTM ADV 620..

For a visual reference it looks like this

The bike actually has dual exhaust (one on the other side in the exact same location).. It's a pretty good bike ktm has kept the same basic design on these bikes for about 10 years now.. The main change in the design is that the exhaust changed to a single pipe and has been moved up under the rear tail....

This thing is going to be my Adventure Tourer... However one of the things I seem to enjoy is the amighty stream crossing ... We aren't talking 6inches of water but like 2+ feet (yes that's feet).. Anyway, the low exhaust is a tad bit of an issue - I would really NOT like to deal with Hydrolock in the middle of nowhere /shudder....

I have 2 options - I can attempt to get a higher exhaust from another model (my race tard has the OEM hige pipe.. I could transfer it to this - and geta nice race exhaust for it - but we are talking $$). The other options is to see about changing the bend in the pipe to something like the dakar model... such as this

I have access to a welder who can take care of the bend and such... However, I am curious to how much it would impact performance - etc...

Thoughts ???

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#2)
unapologetic

September 14, 2007, 06:42 PM

drill a 5/32 hole at the bottom of the pipes at the first crease in the downpipe for water to drain out of once you get out of the stream. Even if the water you crossed went up 2 feet and you stalled out, the water would have no way of going UP another foor or so to the exhaust side of the head. Unless of course you dropped it in the water or ran it backwards or got hit by a monster wave. Which could happen.

saves $, and works.

Or, just take the pipes off, measure what you have to bend and to where, call Bobby at HighTech truck in Chantilly and have him bend them. He may charge you a couple of bucks but it'll be high.

good luck

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Pleased to meet me

September 14, 2007, 08:48 PM

Or you could get a box of bends and weld it up.
Unread
  (#4)
unapologetic

September 15, 2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadambusiness
Or you could get a box of bends and weld it up.
+1 what he said. I'm no fabricator, obviously.

sweet looking bike btw

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#5)
Republicans for Voldemort

September 17, 2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
+1 what he said. I'm no fabricator, obviously.

sweet looking bike btw
Thanks - I am pretty psyched about the bike... It's going to require a bit of work to get it set up the way I want.. THe only 620 (609cc) LC4- had carb issues. The owner put an old FCR41 with no choke so it's a bear to start (pull the seat and stick you hand over the intake - I gotta see about how hard it is to retro fit a choke - or I will put the BST40 from my sxc on it) .. It's faded - it spent winters/evenings indoors but usually got wheel out in the sun during it's life... The plan is to get the pipes set more so for offroad, and get the carb sorted... Then once I am happy with it - I have a list of things to do it

Gravel Guard the OEM bags - really faded orange
LED taillight
Thinking bout paiting it - might try and do a dakar replica look (they look cool after you get em dirty... and this thing is going to get dirty...

Thanks for all the responses... I am sure I will have more this winter as I do stuff to it...

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!

Last edited by hondahawkrider; September 17, 2007 at 08:57 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider